3 die-hard boats trolling front of Niagara river

FlyingViking

Anyone on this board out today in front of Niagara on the lake????

Super jealous and curious of the action! What’s the deal here this time of year???

My boat is standing by!

You like lakers?? Tonnes at the bar there... good multispecies there though with browns, bows, bass when their on the feed, some salmon and you here about the odd musky. If you can launch at queenston and get out there its 365 day a year fishery

I want to know how these people get insurance to cover them out there this time of year..
mine has to be out of water dec 1st- march 1st

You can very succesfully jig plastics or heavy spoons on the bar too. Far more fun than trolling when you have the option imo...

Or, don't have insurance....no restrictions.
Boats are so expensive now a days, that and the high level of risk being out there seems crazzzzay not to have insurance lol

I want to know how these people get insurance to cover them out there this time of year..
Depends on your policy and the underwriter. Quite a few have clauses that refer to "ice season" and of those, some will extend coverage with little more than a request and proof the water is ice free, which can be established using many of the sites we use everyday to locate best places to fish

I know I am the strange guy saying the same old sh#t in the corner when I comes to insurance but if you are shopping based only on price, the insurance company loves you. Likely, you have the least coverage, too.

Insurance is like any product you buy. Make sure it provides what you need, look for the best product at the best price and buy it. And I repeat, if you are accepting what the person on the phone tells you, instead of actually reading the policy, you maybe in for a surprise should you ever need to place a claim. I can't tell you how many times I have asked the rep a question about coverage only to have the wordings say otherwise.

And yeah, lakers are open on O after Dec 1. The Niagara is a mecca for all kinds of fish during the winter. Steelies, browns, lakers, kings, you name it

Depends on your policy and the underwriter. Quite a few have clauses that refer to "ice season" and of those, some will extend coverage with little more than a request and proof the water is ice free, which can be established using many of the sites we use everyday to locate best places to fish

I know I am the strange guy saying the same old sh#t in the corner when I comes to insurance but if you are shopping based only on price, the insurance company loves you. Likely, you have the least coverage, too.

Insurance is like any product you buy. Make sure it provides what you need, look for the best product at the best price and buy it. And I repeat, if you are accepting what the person on the phone tells you, instead of actually reading the policy, you maybe in for a surprise should you ever need to place a claim. I can't tell you how many times I have asked the rep a question about coverage only to have the wordings say otherwise.

And yeah, lakers are open on O after Dec 1. The Niagara is a mecca for all kinds of fish during the winter. Steelies, browns, lakers, kings, you name it
And Walleye/Pickerel!

I can see how it be tempting.. I hope nothing ever goes wrong for you
When does your coverage begin and end?
I've got a little over a month on you but either way if conditions are favorable it's not gonna sit at home for what I've got invested in the boat and gear

Have you ever been able to read the policy before you buy it? I've been back and forth with my broker umpteen times trying to get a hold of the policy before I sign. Hasn't happened yet.

Have you ever been able to read the policy before you buy it? I've been back and forth with my broker umpteen times trying to get a hold of the policy before I sign. Hasn't happened yet.
fire them. Anyone who wouldn't let me read what they are trying to sell me is... well, I will just say, not someone I would buy from. When it comes to shopping my polices, which I do about every 5 years, always read, and do a side by side comparison.

Boats are so expensive now a days, that and the high level of risk being out there seems crazzzzay not to have insurance lol
High risk ? 50 years no insurance no problems so far I guess it's what makes you feel comfortable 10 or 20 thousand dollar boat home everyday to secured yard here the chance of needing insurance are slim according to my last 50 years

I was asking these questions when getting insurance. End of November to March my boat is not covered from frost damage when on the water, it still covered on the road and on the water for collision and such. This is what they told me. My garage is not heated, so I decided to winterize it anyways, till March or April, hopefully.

Another option is to do a charter. A friend and myself did one on boxing day many years ago. Can't remember name.

I shopped around quite a bit for boat insurance. Some are just standard with a layup period from Dec-Mar when you are not covered on the water. Some require professional winterizing for frost damage to be covered during the layup period. Others offer both standard boat insurance as well as no layup period for 365 coverage.

You can get coverage for a rental boat to use if yours gets damaged, towing, and collision (lower unit is covered) so there's options.

I cannot recall the name of the best one I found, but I believe it was in Barrie. I opted not to go for insurance. Boating is so low risk compared to driving a vehicle on the road.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks