Longpoint unit

dj92

Is the marsh accessible during the summer to travel by boat. I never hunted it and would like to get a layout of the area before driving in the pitch dark.

Absolutely !

I thought I should add a caveat to your "summer" tour; The weeds in the channels will be much thicker in the Summer as opposed to now so a trip now and then again later may be of benefit. Right now you should be able to see the sandy bottom where the channels are. The Cookie Cutter goes through the marsh in late August/ early September so touring then will be a bit easier . Also the water is down right now and will peak come late July/August something to keep in mind. Then of course the marsh will be tall and green in summer and it will look a lot different then now. Be careful if you step out of the boat ! There are spots out there that you don't want to get stuck in and others well over your head in depth.

Last edited:
Great thanks I’m looking forward to checking it out this year. I hunted lake simcoe mostly but recently moved south. Long point I’ll be checking out ASAP with the boat. I have been stuck in that soft mud before trying to grab a bird drifting away and it’s not fun. I have a 18ft Jon so I can run pretty shallow then switch to the electric motor if needed. Thanks again!!

Get a Dog ! They love that crap ! That said ; Jon boats are are alright and serve their purpose but in my opinion don't belong out on the Inner Bay. Too many rescued hunters were due to Jon Boats mishaps ?
Get a real boat and a dog if you want to hunt Long Point ! Sorry for being blunt .

Hello DJ92,

I agree with OCLP regarding being "out" on the inner bay with a jon boat but you will be okay if you remain within the marsh area.

Jerome

Thanks for your opinion. I would have a dog but work I can’t leave it alone for 12 hours a day it’s not far to the animal. I grew up on Erie I know what it’s like out there watch the wind and won’t have any issue

Thanks for your opinion. I would have a dog but work I can’t leave it alone for 12 hours a day it’s not far to the animal. I grew up on Erie I know what it’s like out there watch the wind and won’t have any issue
The unit will hopefully have some upcoming days where we will be needing help to bring in old blinds and replacing with the new rehabbed ones.

Then again in August sometime we will be going out and placing the blinds at the right height in good cover etc. That’s usually the best time to see where everything will be for the upcoming season. We were going to have a work weekend this weekend but the lockdown cancelled that for us.
Keep your eye on this page and hopefully we will have a better update upcoming later in the spring into the summer.
Have you been a member of the LPWA before? If not let us know and someone could have a chat with you about the benefits of becoming a member.

Hey dj92 ; I hear Jon boat and think about those dinky little ones but an 18 footer probably has a proper bow on it right ? Does it have a pop up blind on it ? That would broaden your choices of places to shoot.
30 of my 35 years was spent on 12 hour shifts so I know your pain but had family to help with dogs. Next best thing is a hunting buddy with a dog ? As stated above the Long Point Waterfowlers Assoc. / OFAH work with the MNR and Provincial Parks to make sure there is a place for the public to have access to hunt Long Point. If you hunt a lot look into the Sustaining Membership ; a very good deal for your dollar !

Hey dj92 ; I hear Jon boat and think about those dinky little ones but an 18 footer probably has a proper bow on it right ? Does it have a pop up blind on it ? That would broaden your choices of places to shoot.
30 of my 35 years was spent on 12 hour shifts so I know your pain but had family to help with dogs. Next best thing is a hunting buddy with a dog ? As stated above the Long Point Waterfowlers Assoc. / OFAH work with the MNR and Provincial Parks to make sure there is a place for the public to have access to hunt Long Point. If you hunt a lot look into the Sustaining Membership ; a very good deal for your dollar !
Yea it’s not a dinky one. Those 12-14fts I don’t like. People build decks and overload them with people and gear. My bottom is just over 4 ft wide and the gunnels are just over 6 ft. I been caught on simcoe before winds picked up and it’s an unpleasant.

yes I built a pop up blind for it with roof and that covers the top and back with small opening on the side for shooting. This year might switch it up and have it pop up higher and paint up a car cover with just a few shooting holes instead.
I’m definitely interested in the membership and would like to join. Is there a link or website with more information?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks