Best duck boat

Rookie55

whats everyone's favorite boat for duck hunting, but still being able to use it for fishing in the off season. I need a bigger rig for next season. possibly a Lowe roughneck waterfowler 1860?

I think there’s a lot more variables you need to clarify before you get an answer. Do you mainly hunt for mallards or do you hunt the big water for divers. Do you fish alone or bring your whole family or buddies with you. Do you fish lakeside trolling for walleye or do you run around the whole bay for smallmouth and perch or do you stick to shore for pike and largemouth only? All of these factors will determine the best boat because what is best for one guys habits would be different for someone else

mostly divers and inner bay fishing, I'll probably keep my current rig for unit/marsh hunting.
mostly looking for a boat with an open floor plan for hunters and decoys without be crazy cluttered

Well my vote to help Ya is for the 19ft Bankes Crusader. Great boat.....fantastic blind system....very fishable. Love mine. Had a 17ft Bankes Freedom for 20yrs before getting my Crusader. Bit smaller but every bit as capable.

If you can find and afford a Bankes boat I agree otherwise I would be looking into a Lund Alaskan 18 footer with some big HP on the stick. Will hold 3 guys plus gear and handle most nasty weather The Bay can throw at you.

mostly divers and inner bay fishing, I'll probably keep my current rig for unit/marsh hunting.
mostly looking for a boat with an open floor plan for hunters and decoys without be crazy cluttered
Then do exactly as the guys above have said, that will suit your needs perfectly

Hello Rookie 55,

Well ... to be fair ... if you look at a Bankes Boat then you should take a look at the Duck Water Boats (Ocean Series) in Ohio since Steve Hoover builds floating aluminum "tanks" from the Ocean 15 Duck Boat to the Ocean 35 Duck Boat.

These boats (Bankes Boats and Duck Water Boats) are not cheap but they will hold their value over the years and be a pleasure to own and use. Forget about a boat that will serve all of your desires and needs ... they do not make one.

The Alaskan Lund 18 (in marsh brown or camo) that OCLP has mentioned would be a compromise that should meet most of your desires and needs but certainly not all of them ... such is life.

Jerome

PS Let us know what you think of all three choices.

The best duck boat, in my opinion, is someone else’s. 😂
All kidding aside. I have used a 20’ Alaskan Tiller for the past bunch of years. Lots and lots of room. No complaints. I will look to upgrade in the next year or two and it will be another 20’ Alaskan Tiller.

Attachments

• D5FFF1A2-DF89-4F46-9FAA-95C52C3F6C11.jpeg
    D5FFF1A2-DF89-4F46-9FAA-95C52C3F6C11.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 93494209-2FC7-4A9E-B34A-5FC9CBFF3C81.jpeg
    93494209-2FC7-4A9E-B34A-5FC9CBFF3C81.jpeg
    951 KB · Views: 125
I have had w Alaskans would never ever own another one they have huge haul problem both leak so bad won’t stay a float and FYI picture is a 18’

Princecraft Starfish. Has been a great multi purpose boat. Floats on couple inches of water and takes waves decently. Biggest Boat they make in basic aluminum is 16 foot but it does everything we need. Very Happy with it.

StarCraft always made a good boat ? Lets face it ... duck hunting is hard on equipment. We subject our boats and motors beyond what would be considered "normal wear and tear" . Props and water pumps aren't meant to be run in dirty water and the boats aren't meant to be icebreakers. Aluminum has a high contraction/expansion factor and becomes brittle in extreme cold. Then if you are constantly using a trailer I would be thinking the stress on the hull may be a factor too.

Remember B O A T means " bring out another thousand" LoL !

I recently bought a bigger hunting/fishing boat, and here are the options not mentioned that I found:

-Polar Kraft Outlander
-Smoker Craft Pro Sportsman
-Starcraft Freedom

I have an old Bank's Chesapeake 16'. There are quite a few of these boats around Long Point and Lake St. Clair but you very very rarely see one for sale. Must tell you something? Incidentally mine is NOT for sale. ;).

I checked with Mrs. @noclass and apparently he is known to exaggerate by an inch or two from time to time but a couple of feet was unheard of to her.

In my experience, the Alaskan is roomy enough for a few dudes, a hundred dekes and a layout boat. I don't know the conversion rate from dekes to feet so I'll sit this one out.

Bankes 17 ft Freedom . Hunted 3 of us decoys plus 2 dogs no problem .Incredibly safe plus unsinkable . With the blind option you could actually zip up the boat and camp out in it if needed !
Presently I use the cover /roof to cover up the middle when 2 of us are hunting thus not showing a big hole in the marsh if hunting mallards .Expensive yes but Duckman knows he could have bought one easily instead of 2 Alaskans . LPGar"s 19 ft with a 115 motor is also a great option, as is the smaller 15 ft boat . All are great ,seaworthy boats that will get you out and back in the kind of weather ducks love to fly in!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks