Looking for fishfinder recommendations

whitbytrader

My Hummingbird fishfinder crapped out this week and I am looking to replace it. Looking at the Lowrance hook 7 triple shot as a possibility. Has anyone had any experience with this model? Lowrance dependability issues? Looking to spend about $700 any other recommendations?

I have the Lowrance hook 7 Splitshot HDI, CHIRP, Downscan, Track-back with Navionics+...a must have. This is my first year with it and still a learning curve but so far, enjoying it, no regrets.

Got two Humminbird Helix’ from Sail at 30% off (last fall and this spring). Very happy with them. If you can swing it, get sidescan.

The big sales at Sail on finders... aren’t always advertised in flyers. Last year’s models are discounted on their website if you search them.

I have an Elite 5 works great for me if settings are right. Every once and a while I mess with it. But always get it back so I can pickup fish and tell my crew to get ready. Here comes one .

Sail has the Lowrance 7 inch Triple Shot Hook2 with US/Can Nav+ on for $699.99 including free shipping or the 9 inch Hook2 TripleShot for $300 off only in store.

Last edited:
I have an Elite 5 works great for me if settings are right. Every once and a while I mess with it. But always get it back so I can pickup fish and tell my crew to get ready. Here comes one .

That happens all the time on my boat..................................... and then nothing happens. LOL

Personally I don't have a Lowrance @whitbytrader , but I see them everywhere so I don't think you would go wrong with one.

Last edited:
Sail has the Lowrance 7 inch Triple Shot Hook2 with US/Can Nav+ on for $699.99 including free shipping or the 9 inch Hook2 TripleShot for $300 off only in store.

That's a great price for that 7"! I paid that for my Split Shot (one step down) plus gas to go to Vaughan and back.
Good post Wave Runner!

The Lowrance Hook units are great but their down fall is the design of the Tripleshot transducer mount (It is prone to breaking!) I actually design a mount for fixing broken Tripleshot's and also using it on a brand new transducer as a bit of preventative maintenance and saving you having to replace the transducer in the future! The transducer its self is great as far as sonar for most inland lakes and Erie out to 60-80fow...beyond that your pushing the limits for the 2D but you can swap out for a 50-200 if you are focusing on say salmon on Lake Ontario in deep water!
The Elite Ti2 units are also great but more money but deffinatly more options for sharing things like sonar and mapping between units (wifi networking).
I personally have no knowledge of Humminbird/Garmin units but am sure someone else can share info on those.

Spend a few extra bucks and get an elite 7ti with totals can. You won’t regret it.
I personally would take a Tripleshot Hook unit over an older Ti with a Totalscan transducer! Crystals in both transducers are the same for 2D but the tripleshot allows for slightly slower speed side can abilities. If someone has a bit more $$$ to spend the Elite Ti2 comes with the newest 3in1 transducer which has amazing 2D capabilities and SideScan imaging at low speeds down to even just .5mph!!!

I personally would take a Tripleshot Hook unit over an older Ti with a Totalscan transducer! Crystals in both transducers are the same for 2D but the tripleshot allows for slightly slower speed side can abilities. If someone has a bit more $$$ to spend the Elite Ti2 comes with the newest 3in1 transducer which has amazing 2D capabilities and SideScan imaging at low speeds down to even just .5mph!!!

I think your nit picking a bit. Ti 2 then. Whatever they’re selling now. I’ve been very happy with the elite Ti, no matter the generation they’re calling it. Excellent sonar quality. I’m sure the new ones even better.

I think your nit picking a bit. Ti 2 then. Whatever they’re selling now. I’ve been very happy with the elite Ti, no matter the generation they’re calling it. Excellent sonar quality. I’m sure the new ones even better.
I wouldn't say nit picking...Just that the Total Scan transducer leads a lot to be desired where as the cheaper Hook units do great for side scan/down scan and equal 83-200 for the 2D. Both are great units but the newest Elite Ti2's come with the 3in1 transducer which is what you will also fine on the more expensive Live Units.

Lowrance HDS is my choice.......however, current trend and my next purchase will be a Simrad.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks