Yak Attack, Port Burwell, Sat Sept 23 afternoon/evening

King Joe

Got out of Burwell with the Yak. On water at 3....rods set at 37' by 330. Definitely dirty from the big winds the day before but at about 35' out...cleared. Beyond 41' was near normal clear. Ran harnesses off 2 ounce banana weights back 100'. Started at 40' running west (my usual run)...pulled 2 silver and had another 'something' on but lost. Turned and ran back. Boats were scattered all over but mostly FAR out indicating to me, everybody was searching. There was one boat working real shallow (perch hunting?)

I turned and ran straight out...straight away from the lighthouse. Hit my first walleye at 43'. Turned and ran that depth line westward picking up another. Turned back east, picked up another.

Evening coming on....and with so many boats out beyond me, I turned for home. Loaded tuck and leaving just as evening set.

Total for the day, 5 on the stringer including one about 5 pounds....and 2 silver bass (not on the stringer). Lost at least 3 'others'.

King Joe

Brave and strong man.
I have a small dingy/kayak (Wavewalk) and I have the paddle as a backup in case of emergencies.
Last time when I did use the paddle for long trip was on Cooks' bay / Simcoe 6-7 km against the wind at night.
Was first time I tried a gas motor and I did run out of gas. Since then I have spare gas in my dingy. That spare gas is in range of 1 to 2 liters.
One trip of trolling cost me 1 - 1.5L of gas.
Mostly I use the electric (70 to 100Lb thrust on smaller rivers/lakes) and a small 18kg/4 stroke 2.5Hp.
I go mostly East side of Erie, but I do as well Ontario and Georgian bay. Simcoe as well.
Lot's of fun in the small water crafts.
By safe and have fun.
Tight lines.

Last edited:
Hey byronfromTilly,

Exactly why in my post I said I shut down before sunset to make it back before all the big boats start flying in. Low light and sitting low in the water are not good combos. That said, I have had close encounters where boats seem to be coming right at me....and I have to do the paddle-wave to get their attention....and those times have been in full daylight.

The yak I run is a Jackson Cuda 14 (http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/cuda-14/). I am pretty much decked out with really the only thing I DON'T have on it is a downrigger/cannon ball (though I am thinking about how to rig one...maybe a scotty laketroller). Over the last 3 years, I've been out on Huron, Erie and Ontario...and this year, on Ontario....I've been out 14km....shoreline was a pencil-line. HAH. I've been off of Wheately....in 20+mph winds (it started as 7mph when I left shore...then, 6 miles out...wind came up) where, going into the wind, waves broke over my LEGS, not just the bow. Trolling with the wind, I had to back paddle to slow down. Coming home, cross-wind...was a bit challenging but I am here to tell the story. Not saying that was smart....just saying. That was my first year in big water. Three years later....this year, I now have a waterproof VHF marine radio with the Man-overboard feature.

If I thought about it, I probably wouldn't do it. Hell, if ya thought about what your doing most times, you probably wouldn't do it.

King Joe

Hey byronfromTilly,

Exactly why in my post I said I shut down before sunset to make it back before all the big boats start flying in. Low light and sitting low in the water are not good combos. That said, I have had close encounters where boats seem to be coming right at me....and I have to do the paddle-wave to get their attention....and those times have been in full daylight.

The yak I run is a Jackson Cuda 14 (http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/cuda-14/). I am pretty much decked out with really the only thing I DON'T have on it is a downrigger/cannon ball (though I am thinking about how to rig one...maybe a scotty laketroller). Over the last 3 years, I've been out on Huron, Erie and Ontario...and this year, on Ontario....I've been out 14km....shoreline was a pencil-line. HAH. I've been off of Wheately....in 20+mph winds (it started as 7mph when I left shore...then, 6 miles out...wind came up) where, going into the wind, waves broke over my LEGS, not just the bow. Trolling with the wind, I had to back paddle to slow down. Coming home, cross-wind...was a bit challenging but I am here to tell the story. Not saying that was smart....just saying. That was my first year in big water. Three years later....this year, I now have a waterproof VHF marine radio with the Man-overboard feature.

If I thought about it, I probably wouldn't do it. Hell, if ya thought about what your doing most times, you probably wouldn't do it.

King Joe
that's a very stable rig by brother in Saskatchewan has one and says it handles waves well, he cheats using a electric motor though. Good call on the radio everyone in open water should have that

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks