winchester SX4 semi auto waterfowl hunter

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
ya shotgunners...any of you guys have a SX3 or the new 4 that can say there a nice shooter and cycles every load.....looking at a purchase this week ...winchester is offering a $100 rebate on the 3 and $50 on the 4...plus another $100 discount...I think i can trust winchester as its owned by Olin thats owns browning arms...my centrefire mag ammo is dependable winchester and it kills first shot ...I want to cycle a couple boxes of the 3.5 inch blind side ammo early goose coming up...

I've got a SX3 cycles trap to 3 1/2 inch loads never had a jam
Great gun mine has been flawless and I'm not gentle with it lol

thanks @reeldrag with the great gun & never jams positive quote!!! I was reading a number of excellent reviews with the SX3 shotgun...the newer SX4 has a couple of up grades, but does not come with the shim kit, I am going to look at both and decide from there. There is also a choice of a 26" or 28" barrel ...my one huntin buddy is a waterfowler and is telling me to get the 26" barrel as it swings faster and patterns the same as the 28"..only a couple of ounces difference in weight...

my logic is why fork out the big bucks on a Bennilli, or Berretta, or a Browning when you can get a reliable great shooter like the winchester for half the price...I also looked at the Rem versa max and like the winchester...

Last edited:
SX4 26" purchase made today...wth taxes in minus the discount & rebate...$1172...goin out to buddys farm to shoot it on wednesday...browning also has a $100 rebate ...just about bought the Maxus..but it was a 28"...

You put them side by side they are identical if they are the same camo you litteraly have to look for the logo
Mine is made in Belgium I am sure with Brownings
You won't regret it I sure didn't

Thanks @reeldrag for the won't regret it...I called winchester USA yesterday about my shotgun..and if I got a problem...the guy told me I got a 5 year all risk warranty, so that was reassuring..he also told me like you say that my firearm is made in Belguim and finished up and assembled in Portugal....same factory as Browning...if i did have to get it serviced there is a winchester warranty shop @ Rice lake here in Ontario

all internal parts are the same...the small difference between the SX3.. is the SX4 has a larger trigger guard, larger safety button reversable for lefthand shooters, and oversized bolt release button on the side and a smaller ergonomic neck on the butt stock where it meets the reciever..these changes were to accomadate shooters wearing gloves...and i mentioned no shim kit...and the nice part was the 4 was almost $200 cheaper...

Last edited:
I'm sure mine will reverse the safety
Sorry I meant side by side with the maxxus
Do you need shims ?
I only used one to make it match my 870 supermag

oh i thought you meant comparing the sx3 and 4..lol

the maxus had a nice fore end feel...and the barrel had the 2 beads ontop...isn't that like a trap gun..anyway it was nice..but so is mine..find out soon when i make it go boom X3...

if i need shims I can make my own..but nope..don't need um..

I wil see how the recoil feels shootin the 3.5"s....not worried...if it is brutal ..there is the limbsaver...lol

Can I ask you @reeldrag what your favourite choke and load is for waterfowl with your SX3...I have mine choked with a modified to start...shooting steel blind side 3.5" in #2s & #3s ...i do have a full box of federal 3" BBs that should work to...looking at pounding early season geese out at the farm...do you have the 28" barrel...or

Last edited:
26 inch barrel I shoot doves to geese with it
I shoot blind side mostly for geese Heavy Metal is better but so is the cost
I tried the imp cyl for doves and found mod worked better for that too
You will feel the 3.5 inch turkey load but nothing like a pump gun
I only feel the kick while shooting at paper once there is feathers I'm fine lol

thanks @reeldrag for the info and tips...ya i have done the same shooting over decoys on the marsh for ducks and layout blind in the fields for geese...but its been a quit a few seasons since...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks