what is the best atv to buy

i dont have much to add, all the bases have been covered. i personally drive a 07 yamaha grizzly 700 w/ eps w/ up graded rims and 27" swamp lite tires no clutch or engine work done. and i love it to death. i still have a honda four trax i think its a 1999???? still going but hardly used now since the grizz came home. had a older kodiak that i bought used years ago and it finally gave up the ghost an i scraped it.
i agree w/ the winch part if your buying new the dealers usually have a winch deal at the time of purchase installed by them (the right way lmao) todays bikes will go thru amazing crap but if you get it stuck chances are your REALLY stuck and dead in the water without a good winch!!
i would try get a bike w/ fuel injection especially if your planning on winter use .also once youve rode a bike with the power steering you'll wish yours had it......especially after the 80th km on a ride.
many dealers have tester bikes, i would make a few calls to all the different brand dealers and take some test drives and see which you like best.your comfort and likes are the one that really matters here.
preventitive maintance is paramount no matter which brand you pick checking your fluids (oil,diff oils) espescially if you ride a lot of water and extreme cold temps
on picking the best brand , that is a loaded question with everyone saying theres is the best one lol. i would check the magazine racks for atv mags they will give various class comparisons giving pros and cons. to help make your choice. one other thing you can do is pick up a few tri ads or auto traders for bikes and pay attention to the late models and brands that are up for resale or more importantly pay attention to which brands and late models that are not up for resale !!! ive never sold or wanted to sell a piece of mechinery or equipment that was working well for me only the pieces of crap that were a pain in the arse to use or keep running!! lol
good luck in your quest, the hunt is 1/2 the fun.

i get all my exercise..pushing my luck!!...Alex Van.

Best all around quad is by far the Honda Foreman. Buddy up north has 33,000km on his 2002 and previous bike had the same mileage on it before he retired it. He uses the bike for everything from skidding logs to hauling moose out of the bush. Only maintenenace he does is change the fluids. Have another buddy down south here he had the same good things to say about his foreman so I picked up a 2007 with the foot shift. We put this thing thru hell up north at our camp and it just keeps asking for more. Not the fastest machines but will get you where you want to go and back home everytime.

C&C

x3 on warn. but, the plastic housing is a very stupid idea and i'd like to at least see all metal on the inside. sure the gears are steel, but you're relying on plastic housing/teeth and it just doesn't cut it when maxing out the winch. i'd say there are probably 12-15 plastic "teeth" that have been sheared off. it's only a matter of time before they're all gone and the winch is useless.

also, scrap that old school steel winch cable and switch to synthetic. it's lighter, floats, much easier to work with, no more steel slivers, no danger to anyone if it breaks and you can get colors to match your quad. be sure to get a new roller fairlead or hawse when switching to synthetic...

tires...i have mud lite XTR's (extreme terrain radial) and am very happy with them. smooth ride, much better traction than standard mud lites, and the wear is unbelievable. 2000kms+ later and they've only worn down an 1/8" or so. that includes more riding on the road than i'd like. stay off the roads and they'd last a VERY long time. tire pressure is critical for optimal handling and tire performance. DO NOT inflate to the max pressure on the tires sidewall. INFLATE TO WHAT YOUR SPECIFIC ATV CALLS FOR.

radial tires are awesome. i'll be upgrading to pitbull growler II radials this year sometime, so make sure you watch for my current XTR's in the classifieds :D

hey brave1s, if you think you love your grizzly now, try putting on an HMF swamp series exhaust, dynatek programmable ignition dfs7-29, and dynatek dsrp-1 fuel/timing programmer. no more limiters, literally tap the start button to fire her up, and overall better performance. now i'm just waiting on a wide band o2 sensor and warm weather for some fine tuning.8D

a 2" lift kit from rubberdown customs was a nice addition as well...

might as well add some pics:D

synthetic rope and hawse.

Pictureskels014-1.jpg

aluminum skids are a must for serious riders.

Pictureskels022.jpg

rear protection. strap = no more digging in mud to hookup winch.

Pictureskels015.jpg

zip ties are your friend :D

Pictureskels019.jpg

Pictureskels024.jpg

lastly, why i never ride without my helmet. hit my head on the rack so hard that i was knocked out and woke up on the ground. don't even want to think how bad it would have been without my brain bucket on...

Pictureskels026.jpg

that rear tow strap is for pulling out popos and hondas right??????

quote:
Originally posted by brave1s

that rear tow strap is for pulling out popos and hondas right??????

i beat on my quad, but i don't like the idea of stressing the drivetrain/axles to pull others through mud. that's what the winch is for. "given er" and jerking people through mud is probably the best way to damage any brand of ATV (and yourself). that goes for trucks and 4x4's as well.

the strap is meant for pulling me back out of deep and sloppy mud when i get stuck as i usually lead the way. it doesn't get used very often ;)

on the other hand, the winch has pulled out too many polaris' and hondas to remember. probably the reason why my winch is about to take a dump...

Great info guys. Does anyone have information on any of the "side by side UTV's" out there? Lots of 'em out there and they seem to be getting more popular, but I don't know much about them. I'm looking at a Kawasaki Rhino, but have heard repairs on all kawasaki's are more expensive, which is a huge consideration, at least for me.

This is a little off topic but I noticed the Tyrap stitching in ch312's pictures and and wanted to indicate that there is an alternative. I have had numerous plastic ATV parts over the years welded back together by
Plasco Plastic Welding & Fabrication Inc
4268 Dundas, Dorchester, ON N0M 2P0
There are others that do this but this is who I have used.
They usually charged me in the twenty dollar range.Recently I even had them weld up the plastic spoiler off the wife's Equinox and after sanding it out and painting it looked better than new for a total cost of under thirty dollars verses over two hundred plus for a new one.
In my case with the ATV parts I sanded them out and repainted them but you could just leave it as is and it would still look and work a heck of a lot better than the "Frankenstein stitching" and its a minimal cost especially when compared to new.It also makes the bike a lot more presentable for resale as well.Just thought I'd put this out there.

good tip hotruc. buying a plastic welder is an even better option. from what i hear a good unit can be had for $2-300. but, i like the look and character of the zip tie stitches.

big guy, yamaha makes the rhino while kawasaki makes the teryx. the side by sides are great fun, but it can be a real pain in the butt on tight trails especially when you have roof/roll cage clearance issues. a chainsaw is a must if riding on trails that arent maintained.

i ride with a few guys that have rhinos and rangers and its not very often they choose the UTV over ATV...

Hi all.
Hotruc. Is it possible for the plastic welder to make a custom fit fuel tank that would fit in the cage behind ny Skidoo seat?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, clark

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks