What ammo/choke are you using for ducks?

Budz

Hi All,

First time poster here, new to duck hunting and looking for advise from the community.
I plan to duck hunt at long point this year (soon) with an 870 pump 12ga. and do not have a boat (yes - canoe). Am thinking of using the walkout blinds.

From what I've read, a modified choke with 1-1/8 or 1-1/4oz seel shot in #2, 3 or 4 should be about right for medium - large ducks up to 45 yards. Sound right? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Budz.

Your mod will shoot steel like a full so that's ok. Your shot weight is good I uasually stick to 2's all year and bring your canoe as a lot of the walk outs are flooded and you need to canoe or boat to them.

Hey i would agree #2 for ducks. Mod. Only cause i buy shell by the case so dont need to get three different case as i already get # 2 an. bb for goose. Only i run imp. Cyl. As the larger shell patterns better kents 3 inch. How every try a few kinds an see what ur gun patterns best with.

I use 3 inch #2 shot for everything. I use a wad wizard choke which throws a very tight pattern, but a mod will do that as well. I'd stick to improved cylinder or light mod if your new to the game. It will still hold a good pattern in most guns, but perhaps a little looser and easier to hit birds. Try to stay under 35 yard until you figure things out. I like remington sportsman loads, they are cheap and effective.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks