Turkey Point Posted signs and Baited Area?

GrouseGuy

Today I passed along the Turkey Point club marsh edge on my way to the outer bay to fish. There was a line of "No Trespassing" signs a good 200 meters out from the marsh edge. It seemed strange that they would have the right to post that far from the marsh. I am wondering if they actually own that much of the bay.
The other interesting thing was a ring of signs "Baited Area, No Hunting of Migratory Birds" enclosing a fairly large area just west of Bait Island. Would that be a government (MNR) venture and why would they do that in open water?

as far as i know they don't have the right to post the water way the marsh or on land yes they can but can't see the main part of the lake I had been hunting out of my boat
on the lower grand river most of the marsh on the grand is privet and had talked to two CO and they told me that i can hunt all i wan't as long as i don't go on the land without
permission if it was don'e by the M.N.R i'm sure the sign would read M.N.R only way to find out is ether talk
to the M.N.R or Turkey point club find out what is going on

This is the second year in a row they have posted those signs out there! I think they are doing this to discourage guys who want to layout hunt along there. In my opinion I don't think they have any right doing that! I am down at the lake a lot during the fall and I've never seen anyone actually putting bait in the water there so it has led me to believe that these signs are "false advertising." On a legal stand point if you did want to layout hunt between St. Williams and Bait island you would have to make sure you are far enough away from posted signs.

bait island has been putting those signs out for year..maybe not every year but since i was 15-16 and im 56 now ..they post the island to...the baited area is a long way from the island dont get that..that island may have been big way back when but not in my life time

Are there restrictions in the bay on the maximum distance you can be from the marsh edge (for layout boat hunting)? If there is and it is somewhere near 200 meters then that might explain the distance the signs are from the edge. Regarding the baited area I would think a permit would be required to set that up in public waters.

back in the day i think it was 200 hundred yards..it might be 300 meets now not sure there are guys on here that could tell us

Strangely enough the property deeds to the large private hunt clubs in the Long Point area are such that they do own out to where they post their signs.

Interesting observations of something that has been going happening for decades. Turkey Point Co does indeed own and control what they sign. As does the Whitefish Bar Club (Bait Island). So respect their signs. As for off shore opportunities hunt a boat blind or layout these signs actually help as you can hunt 300 meters offshore of them. In the case of Bait Island they definitely put you significantly offshore. But....the line of no restrictions is just slightly east of Bait Island anyway.

Doesn't the Nature Conservancy of Canada own the TP marsh now? I thought they bought it a few years back under the agreement the company can still hunt/manage it?

Interesting observations of something that has been going happening for decades. Turkey Point Co does indeed own and control what they sign. As does the Whitefish Bar Club (Bait Island). So respect their signs. As for off shore opportunities hunt a boat blind or layout these signs actually help as you can hunt 300 meters offshore of them. In the case of Bait Island they definitely put you significantly offshore. But....the line of no restrictions is just slightly east of Bait Island anyway.
true the tip of TP and the creek at pottahawk on the west side

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks