Tundra Swans Have Arrived

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I was out perch fishing yesterday morning in the Inner Bay. We saw plenty of divers and had a small flock of five Tundra Swans fly by us.

This is the earliest that I have seen them at Long Point as they usually arrive by the second week of November down here.

Jerome

There were a few tundras around early last year too. We saw them flying over the marsh yesterday afternoon as well.

Still about 30 Mute Swans around , saw 6 Tundra's flying down centre of the Bay in the afternoon

I'm happy to let the tundras fly! Its the mutes we should be able to shoot. Invasive species should be on the list with starlings and european sparrows in my opinion.

-moose

We were out in the bay today. High winds. We had two huge mutes come through the decoys and later had 5 tundras 30 ft above our heads. I bet we wont ever have that opportunity if we eventually get tags. Its like deer season. No deer but lots of moose and during moose season no moose but see lots of deer. Eith way they are nice to watch go by, but i cant help but wonder how they taste. Bring on the possibility of a tagged hunt eventually. Fingers crossed.

Hello John,

I will prepare another update response, print it and then retype it in this forum so that I do not lose it again before it is posted.

Jerome

Where are the brunt of the Tundra swans at right now? Unless I'm blind and not seeing giant white birds, it appears the big swan flight hasn't come through yet.

A large number of swans came through with the bright moon on Monday night. After dark on Monday the swan calls were almost deafening in the B-zone area. I think they had only been there for a short time and as I listened the whole mass of birds took flight and headed south across the lake. I could not see them, but there were likely hundreds and maybe a thousand and they were there for a very short time before they departed.

A large number of swans came through with the bright moon on Monday night. After dark on Monday the swan calls were almost deafening in the B-zone area. I think they had only been there for a short time and as I listened the whole mass of birds took flight and headed south across the lake. I could not see them, but there were likely hundreds and maybe a thousand and they were there for a very short time before they departed.
i gotta a feeling the same is going to happen with are mallards and other ducks show up and leave or just keep flying :(

Hello Jello,

The majority of Tundra Swans are probably still in Manitoba due to the mild weather which is about to change tomorrow.

More Tundra Swans arrived last Sunday night as I saw them early Monday morning heading south (to the lake) and I have been hearing them every night since then. Once they arrive at Long Point they remain as long as there is open water and feed in the nearby fields.

A few years ago I counted over 600 in late January since we still had open water in the inner bay.

Jerome

Hello John,

I have several Tundra Swan threads on this waterfowl forum. You will notice that after I submitted my initial Tundra Swan proposal to the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) in September of 2010 I established a Charitable Foundation in December of 2010 to financially support the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan recreational harvest.

The CWS subsequently decided in April of 2011 to conduct a Tundra Swan Season Assessment after receiving additional supporting documentation from me and additional letters of support from other waterfowlers for my proposal. The CWS completed their Tundra Swan Season Assessment in August of 2013. I posted their Tundra Swan Season Assessment on this forum.

I contacted the CWS in September of 2014 regarding further developments regarding a limited Tundra Swan season. The CWS advised me in December of 2014 that they will be conducting a review and a revision of the Migratory Bird Act since there was (is) no mechanism currently in place to permit a limited (tag only) season for any species. That review and revision is expected to be completed by the fall of 2017.

The CWS would like to have the support of at least one major hunting organization or the support of many individual waterfowlers at that time before moving forward with a request to recover part of our share of the 9600 tags that are currently available each year.

Since Canada is entitled to 41 percent of the 9600 tags we could potentially eventually get about 1200 tags for Ontario, 1200 tags for Manitoba and 1200 tags for Saskatchewan if the demand is there. Otherwise we would only get the number of tags that we can actually use in any given year.

Please pass this information along to anyone who may be interested and have them telephone or write (e-mail or letter) to the CWS, Delta Waterfowl and the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH).

I would appreciate a copy of your e-mail or letter as I have offered to cover the cost of the Tundra Swan tags for the first 100 individuals who submit letters of support.

I trust that this response answers your question.

Sincerely,

Jerome

Last edited:
Gent's, only posting looking for info, no controversy, peta or other. I am a hunter, meat eater. My hunting started 50 yr's ago with duck's and geese as a kid. Age and time have changed thing's, but I hunt some still, deer and turkey. Have never thought of hunting swan's, just wasn't considered, back in the day??
What has changed, and are they good table fare? invasive species? Population is sustainable?
Hearing there are two different breed's, I don't know? We had 6 to 8 use are pond for about a week, last week? gone now? Completely un educated here, are they good eating, I always thought they'd be fishy, don't know why though? Any education is appreciated

Correct me where I'm wrong here:

3 species of swans live in Ontario. Tundra, Trumpeter and Mute. Tundras and Trumpeters are native, whereas the Mute is a European species. The Tundras reproduce in the arctic and come through the area in a massive migration spring and fall. I don't know much about Trumpeters but they were once nearly extinct and subject to a large restoration effort. Mute swans are a scourge and compete with native waterfowl species. They are also aggressive as hell and have knocked people from kayaks and tried to drown them.

All 3 species are protected and can't be hunted. No idea what they taste like!

You will see small numbers of Trumpeter swans in some areas of Ontario and these are groups developed through a reintroduction program. I have eaten Tundra swans that I harvested in North Dakota and they are certainly very good. Swans are almost entirely vegetarian and that is reflected in the taste of their meat. I selectively shot a young swan in ND and it was particularly good and tender when roasted in the oven.

Hello Guys,

The information that Anonymoose and Grouse Guy has posted is correct except that only the Mute Swan is protected. The Trumpeter Swan and Tundra Swan are identified as game birds under the Migratory Bird Act although there is currently no open season for either of these two species in Canada.

I have already posted additional information under the other threads that I have started in the past.

The Americans have been hunting Tundra Swans (Western Population) since 1961 and Tundra Swans (Eastern Population) since 1983.

Tundra Swans (Western Population) are currently hunted in Alaska, Montana, Nevada and Utah under a General Swan Season that permits a limited number of Trumpeter Swans to to harvested as well. The Tundra Swan population is about 100,000 with a management goal of 60,000 birds.

Tundra Swans (Eastern Population) are currently hunted in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Maryland, New Jersey and North Carolina. The Tundra Swan population is about 100,000 with a management goal of 80,000 birds.

Although less numerous there are three populations of Trumpeter Swans and they are doing well. The total Trumpeter Swan population has been nearly doubling every ten years ... waiting to hear about the 2015 census results.

The USFWS is currently seeking to expand Tundra Swan (Eastern Population) hunting in the United States by opening additional seasons in the Atlantic Flyway. The total number of tags is still 9600 but they are not evenly distributed. Again ... we are entitled to 41 percent of those 9600 tags.

Hope this answers your questions.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks