tundra swan hunt

I agree Donald86 there is just way to many geese and something has to be done like you said
up the daily limits

I doubt I will ever hunt tundras, I barely hunt geese, i'm more of a duck man, They taste way better then the trash cans of the sky, but I support any type of hunting, so I'll make sure to email Jack Hughes and let him know I support this hunt, thanks for posting his email BD.

As long as it's tag only I have no interest I can buy turkey cheaper than a tag and it's already cleaned. I can't buy swan meat but I can but geese. If we ever get a proper open season on either turkeys or swans I will hunt them until then I will stick to geese, and ducks, and small game. Same reason I hunt partridge but not pheasant, I refuse to buy a township license to hunt my family farm.

@Jwalsh

I got it from Buddy Boys post where he asked all to support it, happy I could read if for you:rolleyes:

I have no problem paying for any tags and licenses if it's validated
No money from turkey and deer goes into any programs anymore (deer really never has)
You shoot a 23 lb turkey , pluck and clean it... U have the equivalent of a store boughten 15 lb turkey a price of around$29 I believe for the tag, that works out to $1.93 a lb, plus gas, ammo, gear,plus time cleaning it
Personally, I like the taste of a store boughten butterball turkey anyways , so the more wild ones for the rest of you that hunt em!
I would like a chance to hunt for a tundra swan, as there is more than enough of them now (sorry guys, but only speaking the honest truth) & you can't buy one in any supermarket
P.S -- no offence, but honestly, most "local country boys" don't know what they are talking about, so don't take their word on everything that happens in this town, or you'll probably find yourself running around in circles here
(I AM A LOCAL AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN)
But don't take my word for it, open your mind and see it for yourself

I probably will never get the chance to hunt a swan we only
see them for 2 weeks in the spring but i think if the chance for you guys to be able
to hunt them you should definitely give it a try i know i would try it. If it's
not for you then you don't have to do it again

Hello Guys,

A brief response to some comments:

1) Donald ... it is my understanding that not all of the 9600 tags that are currently available are being purchased even when you include those hunters who are able to purchase a second tag in some states. I believe that we should be able to participate in this Tundra Swan harvest as provided for within the international agreement that we (Federal Government) signed.

Furthermore the USFWS is now considering adding additional hunting seasons in new states and this may include adding additional tags (beyond the 9600 tags) as provided for within the Eastern Population Tundra Swan Management Plan.

2) Big Dave ... are you suggesting that wildlife mangers should make wildlife management decisions based upon how people "feel" rather than upon scientific facts and figures? Should politics "trump" scientific facts and figures when it comes to wildlife management? It would appear that you are unable to participate in an intelligent discussion regarding this topic and consequently you are opposing this proposal for the sole sake of opposing it.

3) Jwalsh ... thank you for your support and please cc me (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com) with a copy of your e-mail to Mr. Jack Hughes. I will pay for your Tundra Swan tag when we get a season.

4) Paddle Maker ... I will pay for your first Tundra Swan tag when we get a season if you are interested in participating in the Tundra Swan harvest. As I stated at the LPWA AGM on April 13, 2014 I will pay the CWS for the first 100 Tundra Swan tags to be provided to those individuals who support this proposal or I will reimburse 100 individuals for the cost of their first Tundra Swan tag.

5) Hardcore ... there was a private Tundra Swan "hunt" in this area about fifteen years ago for the purpose of "collecting" 48 specimens for a research project. There was no public oposition to it but then again it was a private "hunt" and the word was that the meat was very "tasty". Please write a letter of support, send me a copy (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com) and get a free Tundra Swan tag when we get a season.

6) Gunner ... thank you for your support. Like I told "Paddle Maker" I will pay for your first Tundra Swan tag when we get a season if you are interested in participating in the Tundra Swan harvest.

A "thank you" to those other individuals who support this proposal but who have not commented within this thread.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

I am not going to argue Jerome, many feel the same as I do I was just stupid enough to voice my opinion.

Keep trying to buy support:rolleyes:

This hunt will never happen.

BD

I am not going to argue Jerome, many feel the same as I do I was just stupid enough to voice my opinion.

Keep trying to buy support:rolleyes:

This hunt will never happen.

BD

In the interest of making an informed decision, what's the downside of a Tundra Swan season ... regardless of whether it's a tag only season or not?

Hello Guys,

A brief response to some comments:

1) Big Dave ... you did not voice your opinion so please answer my two (2) questions ... are you suggesting that wildlife mangers should make wildlife management decisions based upon how people "feel" rather than upon scientific facts and figures? Should politics "trump" scientific facts and figures when it comes to wildlife management?

I am not attempting to "buy support" for this proposal as you have suggested. I am however willing to guarantee the purchase of 100 Tundra Swan tags from the CWS for those individuals who support the proposal and provide letters of support with a copy to me. The difference is that while I am not paying anyone to write a letter of support I am willing to pay the cost of a Tundra Swan tag for anyone who submits a letter of support with a copy to me. I would not expect that anyone would submit a letter of support if they do not support the proposal since they would have no use for a Tundra Swan tag should we eventually get a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

Your statement "this hunt will never happen" only serves to indicate that you have a definite bias against the proposal.

2) Michael Ludwig ... there is a concern "out there" that there could be a potential negative public response to a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan harvest. However this concern is apparently only anticipated, hypothetical, speculative and unfounded in nature since there has been not been a survey to support this concern. Furthermore the CWS would be obligated to conduct Public Consultation Meetings after they applied for a Tundra Swan season and prior to the final approval.

Thank you for your interest.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks