tundra swan hunt

Hey mike!
Can you tell that john is my brother?????
Lol
Thanks to the increased population of tundras, I had to re-evaluate where to turkey hunt
Obviously they are just starting to become over-populated
If a hunt doesn't open up this year, it'll open up eventually, the population numbers tell us that!

I look forward to a swan hunt, but would rather wait until the population gets to the point where we can have a proper open season, like doves. I have no interest in buying another tag. Same reason I don't turkey hunt; some day turkeys will be covered under small game like partridge then I will hunt them. Patients is the key to hunting; both in waiting for game, and in waiting for seasons to open.

Tundra swans ate all the corn up in the fields in the fall time, not all that many oak trees and other food sources in this bush, so turkeys up and left due to no food source for the winter
Obviously this is not a problem the farther you get away from the lake , but it's inevitably going to spread outwards

LMAO I really can't believe this "the turkeys left because the swans ate all the corn" what are you gonna do with these tundra's after you shoot them, throw them in my front yard and hell there are a lot of bald eagles and hawks around maybe we should shoot them too

Maybe you're right Sherman.... There's a good chance YOU might have went there and picked up all the corn to bait your honey hole last fall with it!!!
Field is surrounded by almost all pine trees, last time I checked Jeff, turkeys don't eat pine cones
Can't believe you don't notice that the swan population has exploded, seeing that you live right by the lake and all.
Guess you're as good as looking at all the swans as you are at looking for that boat ownership for me eh!

Turkeys that live up in north bay and minden dont have corn feilds at all and they live just fine, swan defiantly didnt effect your turkey hunting spot if there gone theres a different reason, they will eat bugs, pine cone seeds, fresh crops and grass coming up. And you cant tell a population has exploded on one year of seeing alot of birds in a field, 2 years ago I seen well over 2500 snows in a feild outside of port royal while i was hunting one day, Is it safe to say we have a snow goose problem not even close, a uneducated person may have went and bought snow decoys that day. If jeff lives by the lake and dosnt think a swan hunt is a good idea and you probably live in a town or city surrounded by concrete id take the country boy, maybe he hasnt notice all the swans cause hes lived there his whole life and never notice a impact or the population going up. I know alot of people that hunt turkeys by the lake and they always tag out.

Thing is, I DON'T live too far from him (I live in simcoe now, & Before that I lived in St. Williams!)
I Also see lots of swans near Townsend, and in the fields around Courtland, where I work, so if you add them all up, the numbers are definitely there
I'm FAR from a city boy Donald86, I spend a lot of time down in longpoint and know that when you see field after field of tundras (way more than 2500!), that the population has risen a lot since I started hunting long point ( 20+yrs.)
Also the snow geese that you mentioned are legal to shoot already, not really sure what they have to do with a proposed swan hunt ????
As for the turkeys....I only have permission to hunt the field, farmer doesn't own any of the woods, so turkeys that do roost in the woods, head directly towards the other side of where I hunt because of the easier meal ticket (ie: oak trees, wild grasses, and a big winter wheat field)
It's not as if there is a proposal to open up a full-blow season,the proposal is for a tag system season that is a completely controlled season

Im completely for a swan hunt thats the thing, If anything im the guy that takes it to far wanting to shoot more of everything cause its tasty. But i dont think half the hunters would even know the right stuff to use, there for lots of cripples and wasted birds, think ya have a problem with people not tagging turkeys, swans would be way worse. Ive eatten swan it aint that bad, aint no fat teal or can, breast is smaller then a honkers. Just aint worth the hassel what could happen. And when guys like scott petrie say its not a good idea, it probably isnt a good idea. The mans pretty dam smart,
And i know snows are legal shot more then I can count, just was a point that one year a migration got shifted and there was 1000% more snows in the area then the last 15 years ive seen hunting there.
Lets add 2 more ducks to the bag limit like the rest of the provinces west, least there good eatting

Hello Guys,

A brief response to some comments:

1) Gunner ... the earliest that we could possibly have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario would be the fall of 2015 since the CWS would have to request a season by this August and then have the Public Consultation Meetings that are required before the start of a three (3) year trial period.

Unfortunately unless every "waterfowler" who is even remotely interested in having a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season writes a letter of support to the CWS it is highly unlikely that a season will be requested. If there is support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season (check out the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum) then every "waterfowler" who is interested in having an opportunity to hunt Tundra Swans will have to "speak up" now.

Furthermore the CWS will want to consult with the MNR and OFAH (the two other partners on the Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee) before making a final decision. Although the CWS could legally make a decision on their own it is not their policy to do so. I have been advised that the OFAH is currently not interested in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season so we certainly have a problem among our own fellow hunters in this regard.

2) Dicker ... I agree with you that eventually additional jurisdictions will be granted limited (tag only) Tundra Swan seasons but these additional seasons will all be within the USA unless Canadian hunters "wake up" and seize this opportunity to use our share (41%) of the 9600 tags that are currently available to American and Canadian hunters.

Both the Eastern and Western Tundra Swan Populations are way over their respective mangement plan's goal of 80,000 and 60,000 birds ... see my thread "A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario" for the details. This has resulted in the USFWS considering additional opportunities to hunt Tundra Swans of the Eastern Population.

3) Paddle Maker ... please read the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment (separate thread) to understand that a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season is the only possibilty due to the Tundra Swan's reproductive limitations.

4) Walley Obsession ... the Tundra Swan is a migratory game bird and the hunting of them is permitted under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 whereas eagles and hawks are not.

Thanks "Gunner" for posting this thread.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I am responding to Donald's comments.

The Simcoe Reformer published an article written by Mr. Monte Sonnenberg on Tundra Swans last March (2013) and the "link" to it was posted in this "waterfowl" forum. I can fax a copy of the article to anyone who can not access the "link" to the article.

The "concern" in Ontario regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season is that it may (please note the word "may" as there is a question of certainty) result in some form of negative public response towards hunters.

However this "concern" is only an anticipated, hypothetical, speculative and unfounded "concern" since there is apparently no evidence to support this concern ... just "maybe" something will happen. I could expand upon this statement but it would be beyond the scope of this post.

Furthermore as I have stated in my previous post the CWS would have to conduct Public Consultation Meetings subsequent to their request but prior to the opening of limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I perceive that there is an attitude of "let us not try in case we fail" circulating among some individuals and that is truly unfortunate.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

I know thats the reason, negativty from the public thanks tips. Thats why I wont support it, Id i would love to smoke one of them things real bad and I still dont think its a good idea
But saying the population is out of control and saying it effects turkey hunting is rediculous. Honkers are way more over populated then swans, and there here all year long not just 3 weeks in the spring and fall. Jerome u said the u.s gets our tags so there for there wouldnt be anymore tags avaliable then there already is so the same amount would be getting legally harvested so if they are over populated thats not the way to go,
They only argument you have is the u.s get our tags and I wanna shoot one legally out of my yard.
I have yet to see a well respected or good waterfowl hunter support this in 3 or 4 years its been going on in the long point area, the locals ive talk to dont want it there, and by locals i mean people that grew up and still live there not just rich people that moved to long point and retired

Didn't they just up the possession limit on geese????
Seems like they are trying to get them under control already, they've been trying to do that for years, kinda waited too long in my opinion
I don't believe that tundras are completely out of control as of yet, that's why opening up a tag only system is a good idea, do that they can control the hunt
Some people like ducks, some deer, some turkeys, some doves , & yes some people like swans, doesn't mean that harvesting these animals are wrong, as long as it is in a responsible fashion
Can't really respond to the remark about not tagging the swans other than, if they won't tag em then, they more than likely don't Now
Most respected hunters/conservationists get money from grants and private donations for their research, I'd imagine that would be like walking on egg shells if they fronted this proposal or spoke in favour of it pubically

There is no need to argue this with Buddy Boy, he will baffle you with all kinds of facts and figures.

All we have to do is send an e mail of OPPOSITION to mailto:jack.hughes@ec.gc.ca.

We can end this fool hardy attempt of self importance!

BD

Last edited by a moderator:
lol thats true dave, wish it would just happen or go away, and move on to the next thing.
And i was just saying that honkers are an example of something over populated, swans not so much, and possesion limits wont help at all consider most people didnt follow them anyway when it came to geese. Daily limits needs to go up also for that to have any effect

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks