The Tundra Swans Are Back

Tundra Swan

Hello guys,

The Tundra Swans are back at Long Point already.

I saw a few small flocks this morning when I left home at 0800 ... 7 birds, 2 birds and 6 birds.

I then saw another flock of about 40 birds while driving over to Port Rowan shortly after that.

Hopefully the northern ducks will be here soon.

Jerome

who cares about the swans other then bird watchers, the wigeon, pintails and gaddies are back go pile them up boys

Hello Donald,

There are a few reasons why I took the time to post this thread:

1) There have been LPWA members who have requested this information in the past.

2) In the past Fred has always notified hunters at the LPWMU of the presence of Tundra Swans in the area so that nobody shoots a Tundra Swan by mistake ... thinking it to be Snow Goose. This has happened, does happen and will continue to happen until swan identification becomes part of all waterfowl identification courses. Perhaps the LPWA could take a lead role and ensure that swan identification is included as part of next year's youth hunt. In the meantime I could bring a copy of the swan identification brochure that The Trumpeter Swan Society (TTSS) has on their web site and have Fred post it at the LPWMU office for hunters to review if they want more information.

3) It would be better if nobody shot a Tundra Swan until after the Canadian Wildlife Service implements a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

Thank you for the update regarding the other species of ducks.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks