The thing about auctions

Magnum 3

Yes . The thing about auctions, is starting to get me soured on the whole idea . Yes , there are some great deals out there , but just like used anything, there are some real bad deals out there also . The term "As Is " is very loosely used in auctions . Using that term to say , yes it's used and yes , it could have some wear and tear , which is also totally understandable in a used state . Now I don't about the rest of you but , I feel there should be some limitations as to , the use of that term because it seems , in my opinion ,only to be another form of fraud , at least if you are running a respectable business . Example : If time isn't allowed for a preview of items , because say to an owner , the parties interested are maybe , taking up too much of there employees time digging thru lots to find a particular "gem" (just saying) or better yet , an interested party , makes a phone call and inquires about an item ( this now being at least the 2nd time someone at this place has actually handled or viewed the cataloged product or products ) , you would think , when they see something is not only used , but broken ( and maybe not repairable even at the purchasers expense - still waiting for a reply ) , this person should actually change that "AS IS" term to BROKEN or "SEVERELY DAMAGED " . I won't say not repairable , as that is is also a loose term and I think Red Green and his duct tape , would be offended . Any way ... somewhere between the original handling and who knows how many others , the decision of this as is item , should have been changed to junk or broken or whatever and its current owner notified to the such .And if confronted with this type of situation , the owner of the auction house should at least make some form of compensation , instead of suggesting something like putting such an item back into the auction ( what a weasel ) , seeing they make make money off both the buyer and seller on the sale of every lot . But that's just my thoughts on what a respectable auction house should do . I usually try my best to get a look at everything I can , before purchasing , but sometimes its just not possible . Oh ... And if anyone knows my location , you can probably guess , which one of the auction houses , I might be referring to , so let the buyer beware !

Yes,there is 'one' I stay away from;(Caught him bidding on items himself) I prefer buy off kijiji; have had no bad situations yet;)

I usually find prices are way too high. I don't understand it especially with internet bidders. I have seen 22LR sell for more than I can buy it in a store. I used to buy with the thought you should be able to buy a firearm for at least half the price of what it would go for new but that doesn't happen too often now. TC

I usually find prices are way too high. I don't understand it especially with internet bidders. I have seen 22LR sell for more than I can buy it in a store. I used to buy with the thought you should be able to buy a firearm for at least half the price of what it would go for new but that doesn't happen too often now. TC
Like you say TC , you go into it with research and a price as to what it's worth to you . If it gets stupid , let the stupid fight it out . My concern here is what's right . I don't care which auction place it is . There should be a set of guide lines (rules ) they should have to follow . It's one thing for a person or persons to go into a bidding frenzy on something . But if you can't get a straight answer on condition of these items or a chance to view them before they're packed up , least they can do is compensate you on broken stuff , that was let say " over looked ". In this case , the lot in question was bid on solely on the one item , which happened to be broken and the rest was just icing on the cake . I've also had a mixed lot recently where , along with some other things I was interested in , was some ammo . Now normally , If there are reloads in a lot , it's listed as reloads , which if I understand it right , aren't suppose to be sold ( think it's a liability thing ) . I would never buy reloads from an unknown source .So I guess this " As Is " thing , plus listing reloads as reloads , makes it ok . But how do I end up with a bunch of loads in a bag or box , with reloads written right on them and yet they were never listed as "reloads". The auction house won't compensate , although they are clearly in the wrong . I've had a far bit of success up till the last while . Everything has been , what I expected . But what I'm beginning to think is , unless there is some governing party that monitors these places regularly , then as soon as they feel comfortable with it and nobodies coming down on them , then anything goes . And for the sake of argument , things like kijiji are another route to go , but it doesn't always mean you're dealing with an up front seller there either .

@Magnum 3. Please don't ask for more government control on us.
If you don't run an auction house , than I don't see how it could affect you . I mean really , when a local man for example ,who just recently , got off with ripping how many people off for thousands of dollars in an investment scam , just by basically telling the judge " Let the buyer beware ". And this is small peanuts vs say , the Enron deal .These are the exact reasons why these kind of places , along with some of the shady used car dealerships etc. , etc . should be exposed for what they are ( W5 ... you rock) . And why people need to see it for themselves , so they know who not to trust , when making purchases . I'm sure if "they " had to give back all the money , they'd be pissed to , but on the brighter side , there still could be hope for them , if the right sympathetic ear . Anyway , I'm not here to start another pissing contest . I'm just making a point , that this stuff comes all shapes and sizes and it's all around us . Just do the homework , so you aren't disappointed later .

Last edited:
Magnum, I have to agree with Red Fisher, and to be clear, I buy alot of shit, in as is condition and yes, have been burnt. You want a guarantee, buy new?
Ontario is 300B + in debt. there's no way we can afford to have and or hire more civil staff to over-see auction's, car lot's, Kijiji, flea markets, farmer's markets, on line sales, or a neighbors couch for sale? The list is endless.

Magnum, I have to agree with Red Fisher, and to be clear, I buy alot of shit, in as is condition and yes, have been burnt. You want a guarantee, buy new?
Ontario is 300B + in debt. there's no way we can afford to have and or hire more civil staff to over-see auction's, car lot's, Kijiji, flea markets, farmer's markets, on line sales, or a neighbors couch for sale? The list is endless.
Ok . We've made our points . Good bad or indifferent , We know the risks we take and like it or not , it's the nature of the beast . I've said my bit for those who haven't used auctions . Good luck .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks