The Bay

I know I'm going to get slammed for my comments,but here goes.Free country and all.When I was younger it was nearly impossible to drop a line anywhere and not catch perch.Pike and large mouth at deep hole point were every cast.Crappie fishing was not hit and miss in the spring,now you can go years without a good catch.Now,this is where I'm going to get jumped.We don't hunt animals,we don't fish for trout,or walleye when they are spawning or breeding(in the case of the animals) so why then is the bay allowed to be raped in the spring by netters.Try to get near the marsh in the spring for nets.No worse time to fish them, THEY ARE TRING TO PROPOGATE THE SPECIES,FISH FOR THEM THE OTHER TEN MONTHS OF THE SEASON.

quote:
Originally posted by shotgun

I know I'm going to get slammed for my comments,but here goes.Free country and all.When I was younger it was nearly impossible to drop a line anywhere and not catch perch.Pike and large mouth at deep hole point were every cast.Crappie fishing was not hit and miss in the spring,now you can go years without a good catch.Now,this is where I'm going to get jumped.We don't hunt animals,we don't fish for trout,or walleye when they are spawning or breeding(in the case of the animals) so why then is the bay allowed to be raped in the spring by netters.Try to get near the marsh in the spring for nets.No worse time to fish them, THEY ARE TRING TO PROPOGATE THE SPECIES,FISH FOR THEM THE OTHER TEN MONTHS OF THE SEASON.

:(:(:(the indians do[?][?][?][?][?][?]

Good point made by shotgun! Everybody knows that the late ice female perch are loaded with eggs, maybe there should be a couple short months of protection for the spawning perch population ? Im sure by saying that there will be several people who disagree but the theory could have alot of truth to it. I am more of a believer that low water levels and excess of weed beds in the bay have more to do with the lack of perch during ice over, there certainly isnt any shortage of perch out on the lake side come spring!!

Yes the Bay is changing. As long as Big Creek is dumping it load into the Bay the fishing in the inner Bay will decline. If something is not done about the flow of Big Creek, the inner Bay from the causeway to EC10 will be nothing more than a marsh with a couple of (if we are lucky)channels running through it. We as outdoor men and tax payer need to voice this concern to the poeple in charge before this happens. Anyone who has any time on the Bay can see the changes.

The meaning of life? FISHING!!!

Hi all.
It seems to me that over the last several years, the hard water season has been getting tougher and tougher on LPB. It also seems to me, however, like the reports of perch catches in particular have been getting better and better for the rest of the year. A buddy and I were talking about this a little while back and we started to wonder if the winter fish being caught on LPB are mostly resident fish. Our theory was that with water levels being so low on LPB the last few winters, how much water was actually flowing between Bob Wood's Point at the Turkey Point marsh and the end of Pottahawk Point. Could it be possible that this section is solid or nearly solid with ice or that the ice that moved out of the Inner Bay in late Dec/early Jan has piled up on the bars leaving only a small flow at the channel and resulting in fewer fish moving into the Inner Bay? It has also been quite a few years since I can recall pulling a pale coloured perch through the ice... most of have been dark and vibrantly coloured. It seems like after ice out and consistently until the fall, the fishing in the Inner Bay has been nothing to complain about, especially for perch.

I don't know if it is Big Creek's fault, clearer water after the zebra muscle introduction, fluctuating water levels, lack of a season on Perch, commercial nets, or what exactly we anglers should blame it on, but I agree that the Inner Bay is much different now and has been continuously changing for some time now. That being said, the fact that we still have such an outstanding and diverse fishery here on LPB is undeniable. The number of species available alone is remarkable. I think the best thing we can do as anglers on LPB is be advocates for those issues that positively affect the fishery, draw attention to the negative issues that affect it, and adapt to the fishing conditions in the meantime. Just my two cents.

WormWiggler
It's not how deep you fish, it's how you WIGGLE YOUR WORM!

I commented before about the fishing being as good as ever; however that related to the bay in general including bluff bar.
If you are talking about the inner bay that is a different kettle of fish;it is no where near the fishery it used to be , or at least what I remember.
It seems to me the water levels have been very low , to which I attributed the change in fishing.

i have not been down this year and don't care to go. i spent days last year drilling holes all over the bay and never came home one time with a limit .i have no interest in working all day if you can't even catch a fish. i talked to 2 guys that have also fished the bay wiyh great luck for years and today came home with 3 fish between 2 guys thats a lovely way to spend a day think i'll stay home

I'm just thankful I can get out there and enjoy the bay whether i catch anything or not a day on the ice or water is better than any day stuck in the house doing housework!

Hi all.
As I have said before I have only been fishing the " Inner Bay " for the last three years. I Fish the fall, Spring and Winter and never the summer as I go North for the Summer. I only fish the "Inner Bay" for Perch.
I have found that the people I meet on the Ice/Water and the Operators from both Old Cut and St Willy's to be interesting and enjoyable.
I have been fortunate enough to enjoy the bounty of the Bay and also understand that defeat is mine.
The last two winters I found Ice fishing to be excellent and this year I can't comment since I have not been able to get out do to schedule of that nasty work thing.
I like the Bay and will continue to enjoy it while I do understand that those of you with years of Bay experience might be dissapointed in a bad day of fishing.
One mans/womens garbage, anothers gold.
Cheers, Clark

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks