Tag changes in 2019

bassaholic

Heard about changes to the system for 2019 from another site and it was confirmed this week from the MNRF newsletter. It states:

In 2019, game seals will be replaced by "tags". You'll have the option to print your tag from home, making it easier to prepare for hunting season. Plastic see-through luggage tag holders can help protect your tags from the elements.

It also mentions that in 2019 mandatory reporting will be required for all day holders whether you harvest an animal with that tag or not. I never had an issue with this as it only helps the research end of things. But the tag printing may cause some issues that I could forsee...eg. reprinting and reharvesting on the same tag or even tag modification using a pdf editor....I hope I'm wrong and they've safeguarded against these possible issues. It's amazing how hard some people will work to scan the system

Ask a CO how they catch poachers, or follow the OCOA on Facebook to see the postings. Most of the people who get caught are found by a CO on a routine patrol pulling up while someone is loading an untagged deer into the truck, or dragging an untagged deer in a field, or they stop in at the hunt camp and there are untagged deer hanging.

If you are printing your tag from home, there is nothing preventing you from printing 20 tags or making 20 photocopies. What is there to prevent a guy from putting one deer in the freezer (where MNRF can't look without a warrant) and going out for another one? If they catch you in the field, they have no way of knowing whether you have shot 5 already. The tag system wasn't perfect, but at least they were hard to copy.

I recall hearing that there will be a QR code on the tag that you're supposed to scan after you shoot the deer, thus reporting the harvest and invalidating the tag. The MNRF can't force you to buy a smartphone, so there has to be a way around invalidating the tag before you get home. I don't see how the MNRF is going to prevent poaching if there is no requirement to invalidate the deer tag (fomerly by notching a hard-to-replicate tag) at the time of harvest.

I'm nervous for the herd!

Did they not say the new tags don't actually have to be attached to an animal unless you are not in possession of said animal.

Where's it going to end ?
We use to get nice selfadhesive tags for our money. Then tags that you had to supply your own zip tie. Now we have to supply our own tag protector ? What genius at Queens Park dreamed this up ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks