Stake blind # 11a and 11b

lcooper

In regard to stake blind # 11 a and 11b, I have looked at "A" Zone map for LPWA unit and there is only #11 on it in which it is on the eastern, lower side of the marsh. Which on is it? A or B? Where is the other one at?

The Unit created an 11A and an 11B because blind 11 was located in a pond only accessible via a long channel and frequently hunters couldn't get to it. From what I understand any hunter who rents 11 may shoot either blind. I'm not sure which one is A and which is B but the original blind that is situated inside the small pond was maintained prior to the season. With the water level fluctuations this year my guess is that anyone hunting there is using the stake on the outside. The blind on the inside is a box blind.

Oh, thanks for clearing up this matter. And again thanks for the last reply regarding # 28 and # 33 shooting points. I still think that # 15 and 16 should be rented as they seemed to be far apart from each other. It still annoys me when one of them is not being used while the the other is rented out. Both of them have good shooting spot when it comes with SW or W wind.

Originally #15 was at the far west marsh wall on a little tip that has since grown in. Todays #16 post is actually 30m or so east[actually in the middle of the old pond] from the old #15's spot. As the marsh grew #15 rotated in a clockwise manner and became a shooting post. #16 was made to take advantage of the bay bird shoots that one could get.Due to th spacing available at the times if both spots were rented you would be both working the same set of birds. I suppose if #16 should be on the "outside" and #15 moved back up against the far west marsh wall it would be considered "safe" but due to the shallow water and muck #15 is only accessible to people with mudmotors.

The #11 shooting post was in a pond due north[towards the Old Cut Point Channel] of the entrance to the old #11 pond but I thought that with the cleaning up of the #11 pond there was no more "A" or "B" ?

Jim Granger did some work in the area but the pond that was rehabbed is probably too close to the cottages to be hunted. We went into that pond with the cookie cutter in August hoping both ponds where somehow connected but could not find any evidence that they were. There was lots of water in August but we lost about 12" before the season opened in September and that eliminated most opportunities to hunt the original pond. We flushed birds from both ponds in August. The pond with the blind has a second channel that exits the west side but we couldn't get through it with the machine.
quote:
Originally posted by Old Cut LongPointer

Originally #15 was at the far west marsh wall on a little tip that has since grown in. Todays #16 post is actually 30m or so east[actually in the middle of the old pond] from the old #15's spot. As the marsh grew #15 rotated in a clockwise manner and became a shooting post. #16 was made to take advantage of the bay bird shoots that one could get.Due to th spacing available at the times if both spots were rented you would be both working the same set of birds. I suppose if #16 should be on the "outside" and #15 moved back up against the far west marsh wall it would be considered "safe" but due to the shallow water and muck #15 is only accessible to people with mudmotors.

The #11 shooting post was in a pond due north[towards the Old Cut Point Channel] of the entrance to the old #11 pond but I thought that with the cleaning up of the #11 pond there was no more "A" or "B" ?

Hi DS !
The shooting post for #11 was actually accessed from the bay side just north of the normal entrance to #11. You may well have been able to go up the creek towards the old #11 and hang a right to get into the pond that was posted as an alternative but it has since grown over. I still think #11 is a good spot but you better not have a medical condition ! LoL ! Good loafing pond !

The pond "too close to the cottages" wasn't that #46(45 ?) at one time ? It was an old dugout from Tom Beck's time circa 1962. I did ask Jim if the plan called for connecting it to #11 with a channel but he said no. Too bad because when I was a kid there was a creek connecting them. Maybe in the future there will be an open forum to input advice on where to dig and where to put blinds/shooting posts ?

OCLP, the pond I thought might connect to the blind pond is accessible from the east side of the main boat channel not far from your family cottage. We'll have to GPS it to see how far apart they are. I know that when I first started on the cookie cutter with Al Young we went into the #11 pond by crossing the Bay from Old Cut (same as present) and exited at the boat channel that fronts your family cottage. The blind used to in the pond that was closer to that channel. It's since been impossible to get through.
quote:
Originally posted by Old Cut LongPointer

Hi DS !
The shooting post for #11 was actually accessed from the bay side just north of the normal entrance to #11. You may well have been able to go up the creek towards the old #11 and hang a right to get into the pond that was posted as an alternative but it has since grown over. I still think #11 is a good spot but you better not have a medical condition ! LoL ! Good loafing pond !

The pond "too close to the cottages" wasn't that #46(45 ?) at one time ? It was an old dugout from Tom Beck's time circa 1962. I did ask Jim if the plan called for connecting it to #11 with a channel but he said no. Too bad because when I was a kid there was a creek connecting them. Maybe in the future there will be an open forum to input advice on where to dig and where to put blinds/shooting posts ?

DS, I know of that old entrance way into #11 but without a map explaining is hard to do...LoL ! At that point the #11 shooting post[alternative pond ]would be to the east and south a bit.

Here's a good question;
Has anyone saved all those old Unit Blind maps ? Or other pictures or material that would show our hunting history at the LPWMU ?

On the wall in the Unit is a map posted from 1979-- boy what a difference .There was even the floater blind of #37. #39 was opposite #38 on a little island of grass and I was telling Rob at the office on Saturday that one day hunting in #39 the water came up and I was sitting on the top of the blind with my feet on the seat ankle deep .Thank goodness my boat was tied to the blind and it was floating behind me even-level with the top of the blind.
Many a Canvasback were shot at #22 which was open water from where #10 is now all the way to #22

Yes Sonny, I can remember running a 14' boat with a 20hp, on plane, right up to #38 and hiding it way back in the cattails behind the blind. Now you are lucky if there is enough water in front of it to float your decoys.

I used to run my 18 ft with a 90 hp through the marsh past #21 and then out past #22 and through #27 (then #29) over to #26 and out through the "hole in the wall " entrance to the Bay . I could not get out of my boat at #26 because the water was over my waders and a friend of ours was in #27 (29) and they went to get his boat to pick up decoys and was up to his neck. They raced back to our cottage and got him under some blankets ans then we had to go pick up their decoys . Oh the good old fun days !!

Pray for 3o feet of snow in Nipegon and Thunder Bay this winter and maybe the melt water will reach us in time for next fall.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks