Silver Bass Dont Throw Them Away Smoke Them

monty smith

My favorite smoked fish is Silver Bass , for those of you that haven't tried them they are absolutely delicious smoked . I personally will take them over Salmon or Rainbow any day .
Once you start eating them , they are like eating popcorn , you better have a nice cold beer ready as this makes them taste even better.
My son smokes them for me and uses HI MOUNTAIN SEASONING ALASKAN SALMON BRINE MIX .
Was out wed. and brought back a dozen SILVER BASS they where a nice size got 14 lbs. of fillets to smoke this weekend.
MMMM GOOD !!!!!
Tight lines
Monty

I want to know the smoking time and temp as well. Here's hoping you can provide that info. Thanks.

Hey guys, please smoke away as hopefully it will cut down on those annoying 30-40 silver days when trying to catch wallys. LOL!!! :D

Do they not taste very good deep fried with fish crisp, or beer batter? I've never tried them but willing to give it a go....you guys all talk like they are garbage.... Smoked sounds like an awesome idea!

They ain't bad I think they taste just like bass but the texture is a little mushier in my mind. I'm going to try smoking some on the electric smoker just gotta try and keep the temp low

We keep as many as we can get they are good as anything clean them right cut out the mud line they are awesome but smoked is by far the best if anyone is interested I will post some pictures of the cleaning so you can all enjoy

Do they not taste very good deep fried with fish crisp, or beer batter? I've never tried them but willing to give it a go....you guys all talk like they are garbage.... Smoked sounds like an awesome idea!

Eat them fried all the time. Bleed them out as soon as caught. Usually have a pail on hand half filled with water. Slit the throat and let them bleed out in the bucket..
Rinse them in lake water and put them on a stringer/ in the live well/ or another pail of fresh water.
Fillet them up and eat them fresh. Once frozen they're not as firm, but still eat well.
For the record, I don't think they taste like smallies or largies at all. If they did I wouldn't touch them.
The smaller males eat better than the females.
Dip them in your favorite coating and fry away.
Pretty sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

old guy clears throat and in his best Walter Brennan says (again) :D

first time caught some was in my teens off the old wooden pier at Turkey Point--pan fried were the highlight of our stay down there. didn't know anything about 'eyes at the time so there was nothing to compare them to except for the occasional smallie.

still like them today if I can get some out of the lake ----Grand River at Dunnville has a run in the spring but that's another story for another time:p:D:rolleyes:

Pier at Turkey Point... how many years ago was that... were the boat hangers out at that time. can see the horses drawing them out now.. yup I'm old... RED

Pier at Turkey Point... how many years ago was that... were the boat hangers out at that time. can see the horses drawing them out now.. yup I'm old... RED
as the crow flies would be approx.? 60 years ago and yes the boat hangers were out at that time

one of the cottages we stayed at was just around the corner from Wagon Wheel ? and there were small docks that you could walk out on and try your luck. My sister and I would catch "small" perch off them and were so proud of ourselves

was really disappointed when they took out that old pier---was a favourite spot of ours---remember people talking about going out in boats and fishing "the barrels"

so much for my walk ? down memory lane:)

No limit on silver bass they are classed as pan fish. Monty how long do they smoke for at what temp ????
Well, "No Limit" isn't exactly accurate. Species not named in the regs summary are generally restricted to 50 for Sport and 25 for Conservation. The regs summary is just a summary, not the entirety of the law. See here:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2007-237/page-8.html#h-41

You'd have to have a pretty big day on the water to drag home a limit, but there is a limit!

-moose

We used to stock pile a couple of hundred fillets. We owned a cottage on a cul de sac. In July we would have a family fish fry for the whole neighborhood. Catch them in the Spring at Nanticoke and freeze them until July.
My buddy and I would fry it all up on several Coleman stoves and feed the crowd. The first fry we had was when we realized they weren't quite as good once frozen. Kept on freezing them but still prefer fresh.
Personally I think they eat as good as perch. However as previously stated, the smaller males eat better especially in the Spring. (females are full of eggs/ messy to clean and don't taste as good.

All fish should be bled once caught, when saving them for the table. The meat is so much tastier. Sounds gorey, but it's true. Learned that from an old friend (rest his soul) about fourty years ago
Not so long ago you could literally fill your boat in the Spring out at the Hydo discharge at Nanticoke. Haven't been there sice they shut it down.
Good fishing and great eating.
Dropshot.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks