sea ducks

RiverDucks

does anyone know if a sea duck (oldsquaw, eider, scoters, goldeneyes) have been harvested at the point? just wondering if any eiders have been shot here.. lol thanks..

I shot one of the outsside points last Saturday and had several Old Squaw and Whistlers in the decoys. They are not a birds I am interested in eating so we just let them go. I have not seen a Scoter in a couple of years but some years I have seen many late season. I have not knowingly seen an Eider in the unit.

RiverDucks.....I'll second singlemalt's comments except to add that I do see Scoters, mostly the white-winged variety, every spring when fishing at Buff Bar. It's been a few years since I've seen one over the decoys. Like singlemalt, I pass on shooting sea ducks. (not interested in eating them). I've never seen an Eider Duck in this area at any time....the furthest west I've ever seen one is on the Ottawa River in Quebec and that was only once.

I got a white wing scoter a few weeks ago at potahawk I've heard their pretty rare in our area But there have been a few takin in the bay this year

Hello River Ducks,

A quick update ... the "Old Squaw Duck" is now called the "Long Tailed Duck" ... liberal PC has been at work!

There are a fair number of Long Tailed Ducks in the outer bay and they sometimes come into the inner bay.

I have shot Goldeneyes at Blind 6 and I see they frequently in the western portion of the LPWMU as well as along the North Shore and at the "head" of the bay.

I have shot a few Scoters (Black and White Winged) at Presqu'ile but none at Long Point (inner bay) ... hard to skin and then to eat them.

I have seen only one Common Eider (hen) at Presqu'ile years ago but I have recently been advised by a wildlife biologist that it was probably a King Eider (hen) since King Eiders do get blown "off course" sometimes and end up in Lake Ontario.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Jerome

PS Singlemalt and Duck Soup ... my mother used to cook the Old Squaw Ducks (woops ... "Long Tailed Ducks" that I shot at Presqu'ile during the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s ... they tasted fine. I do agree however that the Goldeneyes do not score much on taste.

On Saturday, just off Thoroughfare in a layout boat we shot a juvenile Surf Scoter and also had a pair of White-wing Scoters pass through in the direction of the Outer Bay. I expect these birds are feeding a lot on zebra mussels.
Pat

Hello Pat,

I have not heard from you for a while ... did you go waterfowling in North Dakota this year?

Please post some photos of your hunt on my "thread" when you have them available.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks