Scott Duck Boat

dudelta

I'm a long time member of the LPWA and hunt the Unit regularly every year. I run a 16' Scott Duck Boat with a 15hp outboard motor. When the water is high, like it was last year, its gets me into just about any blind without any problems. Late in the season or those years when the water is low it can be a challenge sometimes with the outboard sucking up mud and sand so I'm thinking about getting a 'mud motor' or 'surface drive' type motor this year.

Does anyone have any experience running any of those types of motors on a boat similar to a Scott Duck Boat? The boat is fibreglass, drafts about 4 inches but it is only rated for a 15hp outboard motor (which weighs about 100 lbs) so I'm a bit concerned about the size of the mud motor I should get so that doesn't put too much weight and stress on the transom (especially while trailering it) but at the same time has enough torque to push the boat along with 2 hunters, a dog, a pop-up blind and all the gear in it. I'm not too concerned about getting to the blind fast, just getting there ... and back!

Any advice anyone can offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks;

Deeter

I'm a long time member of the LPWA and hunt the Unit regularly every year. I run a 16' Scott Duck Boat with a 15hp outboard motor. When the water is high, like it was last year, its gets me into just about any blind without any problems. Late in the season or those years when the water is low it can be a challenge sometimes with the outboard sucking up mud and sand so I'm thinking about getting a 'mud motor' or 'surface drive' type motor this year.

Does anyone have any experience running any of those types of motors on a boat similar to a Scott Duck Boat? The boat is fibreglass, drafts about 4 inches but it is only rated for a 15hp outboard motor (which weighs about 100 lbs) so I'm a bit concerned about the size of the mud motor I should get so that doesn't put too much weight and stress on the transom (especially while trailering it) but at the same time has enough torque to push the boat along with 2 hunters, a dog, a pop-up blind and all the gear in it. I'm not too concerned about getting to the blind fast, just getting there ... and back!

Any advice anyone can offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks;

Deeter
I have a 16 ft Scott duck boat as well. Used to run it with a 9.9 Johnson. I just purchased a Swamp runner kit from US for a 6.5hp Honda clone. I can post my success or lack of when we get it in the water.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks