Reloading

Magnum 3

Just curious as to what a bag of lead shot ( say #5 , but assuming all being equal by weight ) is worth along with primers and casings , wads and powder to reload say 20 ga. or .410 . I'm assuming casings and wads would vary , along with the amount of shells that can be loaded for various gauges . Now I know 12 and 20 to buy at the stores is reasoable but 16 , 28 and .410 seem ridiculously high . Also , Is it cheaper to by supplies at that Lawry place or Humesson's and do they both carry everything you need ? I also heard there was some other place by Cayuga but I don't know the name or address , just that it's in maybe a plaza ???? Oh and what would the cost of a lead box of 20 or 25 shells be to produce in the above mentioned gauges ?

Hey Magnum supplies will be a little cheaper at the places you mentioned than our store it just depends on how far of a drive it is for you. Also just for your information I've crunched the numbers based on our retail prices and for the time and investment in equipment you can buy a flat of Challengers for virtually the same cost as reloading. Some people really enjoy the process though so that's a factor as well. TC

Hey Magnum supplies will be a little cheaper at the places you mentioned than our store it just depends on how far of a drive it is for you. Also just for your information I've crunched the numbers based on our retail prices and for the time and investment in equipment you can buy a flat of Challengers for virtually the same cost as reloading. Some people really enjoy the process though so that's a factor as well. TC
If it was the same for Winchester or Federal , I'd be in . But in the case of challenger (by what I've been told by reloaders was ), the primers don't seat properly . In the case of .410's that's not as big a concern as I've come to the realization that for the amount of time and use I will have with that caliber , might be better either buying a couple boxes when I find a sale . And I think the same as to spending the money on a double or pump . I think I'm leaning towards an old single now with either an extractor or ejector , for a slightly quicker follow up shot . I have a couple 20's which will have to do for now unless you get a trade in that fits my needs or the gun show , which almost happened today .

Magnum 3,to my knowledge Hummasons and Lawrys are the main suppliers of loading supplies and most gun stores buy from them, generally their loading supplies will be cheaper than most gun stores who buy from them and then of course mark up the price. I load all gauges and lead shot is about 3/4 of the cost per box loading at home, I have found that 12 gauge isn't cheaper than buying flats from them. However the cost for loading 28gauge 3/4oz and 410 1/2oz. will save you money once you have the loader and hulls. I can load 410 for about $4/box. I think a flat of AA 410 is going to run you about $160. The manufacturers have us by the you know what, I spoke to a Winchester Rep who told me that the 28 and 410's are so much more because they only produce them in the plant a few times in a month, that's garbage. Anyways go to gun shows and look for lead , save on lead your reloads will save you money. Plus like trky chsr says most of us like trying different loads and tinkering will them. sidexeach
When you are referring to the flat of AA .410 @ $160 , do you mean loads or hulls and how many boxes in a flat ... 10 ? Is that for 3" ? That would be $16 / box before taxes on 10 , which after taxes would still be cheaper than buying even Challengers at over $20 /box before tax . That's provided I can get 7.5's or better #6 . Is that a price at both places I mentioned as I will check Lawry now . I don't have a reloader , but may be able to get a friend to reload for me . Don't have the time or room for it myself and really . It's only for a squirrel gun , which I might turn around and resell if I don't like or use it enough . Main gun will be a .22 for that .

hey magnum I noticed the bullseye shop in london is advertising federal 20 guage game loads 2 3/4" in 7.5 shot....priced at $8.99 a box for 25 shots...36 cents a shot plus tax...that seems very reasonable for an every day price.. I wouldn't hestitate to use that load for rabbits too...

heres my thoughts...a 20 guage would be more realistic to hunt squirrel then a .410...I have had my two .410 remington shotguns.. a single shot and a 870 pump (the nice quality stock) for many years...its my best experience shooting the not moving ruffed grouse using the .410 guage...usually on the ground or perched in a tree..and sometimes in small groups or pairs...which then the pump works well with 3 shots. A box of 25 .410 shells was usually more then sufficient for grouse on an anual moose hunt. The possesion limit is still 15 birds..I don't know how I would burn off a 250 round case of .410 shells in a hunting season..I have used the .41o successfully for cottontails..again the 20 guage in a modified choke is a better and cheaper choice for hunting small game animals...

the way we use to hunt squirrel is to go into our usual mature hardwoods bush on a sunny afternoon in later october when most of the leaves have dropped and sit up against a tree...wait a little while till everything settles down...and before you know it the squirrels are busy traveling from tree to tree and foraging along the ground...we used 12 guage modified some shots were way up at the tops...buddy use to enjoy cooking and eating them...

I don't think much has changed as far as squirrel hunting goes Mick . As I said before , I had one of those savage combos in .410 /. 22 LR , that I inherited years ago and didn't really use much . I managed to shoot a couple rabbits and squirrels up close , along with 1 duck ( lead days ) , that I had to chase down the creek and finish off . I thought that was a little inhumane , now that I think more about it . That one episode told me how ineffective a .410 can be in the hands of a 20 year old , who used a 20 for everything . Really didn't know that much about ballistics , judging wind , shot size . I carried a .22 magnum and a 20 around on the farm and shot what ever loads , I could scrounge off my dad . So I sold the combo . Yes this is an expensive venture , I agree and will probably end up with me reselling the .410 again . But I don't have a lot invested in the gun and have no intentions on getting into reloading myself . I did however ask a couple friends to reload for me , should I come to like this . But , I always have my 20's in waiting and if I change my mind , I have been grabbing up some ammo for them at the shows . Bought a box of #6 steel for $10 ( only deal I found there , including guns ) and a another box of lead #5's for $15 , along with a box of 12 ga. # 2 steel in a plastic ammo case for $15 . The case will come in handy for duck hunting . If I get to London before the sale is over , I will probably grab some , but I prefer 6's and 5's for most things . Just don't want to make a trip up there for a couple of boxes , as I can probably swing a deal with the guys on something in Tburg and save some gas . Thanks for the heads up Mick . I am always trolling around for a good deal . Magnum

Mick . Just checked Humason's by Ancaster , and if I understand his price list right , you can get a case of 20 Ga. 7.5's for $64. 95 . They are target loads . I didn't see any hunting loads , but I think Lawry has them along with steel . Either way there are deals going on at Cabelas also . Just have to check pricing and decide if the drive is worth it . I think Humason also had .410 case for $100 , but once again it's trap loads and I don't know yet , if I need that much or if 7.5 is what I want . was told by a couple people to use #6 because of tough hide . I think I already bought #6 and #4 to try . Either way , I'll be carrying a .22 LR most of the time .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks