Rainbow Trout in Long Point Bay

quote:
Originally posted by angler

Rainbow are fantastic to catch;however,if a rainbow run spoils the brown trout habitat and puts pressure on the brown trout population I don't see how you have gained anything.Stream browns are great to fish for and possibly more of a challenge.

I have to agree with you here Angler. I haven't fished the Lynn except for Miseners downstream in years. It was exceptional brown water up above when I did fish there years ago and mixing with alot of rainbows may not be a good thing but with Ivey Dam in the way I think all but the strongest Rainbows would be held below it. A few Rainbows spawning up above though would definitely add to the food source for those browns that were originally stocked by the MNR and now, from my information are virtually holding their own without supplemental stocking.

Stick

DSC00152.jpg

Definately a good point to raise. Personally, I don't believe the numbers would be there to have a disasterous impact on the lynn's brown fishery. At the end of the day, its irrelevant which none native trout species Is the primary target. The dam really shouldn't be there if it no longer serves a purpose.

Browns or steelies, I'm content either way.......as long as the right decision is made.

You would have a lot more lake run browns and steelhead running up Lynn River, without the dam there...even if it doesnt make it the a top notch trout fishery, I think it would be greatly improved. I think the Browns would handle themselves quite well.

halloween09.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks