question about walleye trolling

Hello I am new to this site and this is my first thread. Very quick thanks to all for info I have gotten the past year since becoming a huge fishing fan of Lake Erie Ont and 6-8 fishing reports.
I was out Monday with my son and headed East from Pt. Burwell first stop was 43 fow near the sand hills. We caught 5 quick descent yellows. tried various spots until about 3pm most all other boaters were gone and perch stopped biting. I noticed a couple large charter boats just out, one headed far and deep barely could see him and the other was trolling where I was in 42 to 47 fow. I said to my son let's start trolling. I loaded my down rigger up with small spoons on the main and another on the cheater set it at 35 feet with 25 foot lead on the main. I also setup a dipsy diver using a chad rap and about 75' out. We trolled for 2 hours during which we were marking all kinds of schools of bait fish with 6 to 10 much larger fish on the sonar. Not one hit on anything. So many markings on the sonar but no hits. Can anyone suggest what I could have tried to make a difference? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Sonar_LakeO1.JPG
    Sonar_LakeO1.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Sean_Dad_LakeE_Perch.JPG
    Sean_Dad_LakeE_Perch.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 63
Hi Charles l would say you need to lengthen your lead to 75ft back. Also your dipsy was on what setting a 3 for example takes it out further from your boat .If you are not having luck with your dipsy drop it back in 10ft intervals .Check your dipsy
Chart and keep your baits above the fish.Also try alittle deeper water.

Hi Charles l would say you need to lengthen your lead to 75ft back. Also your dipsy was on what setting a 3 for example takes it out further from your boat .If you are not having luck with your dipsy drop it back in 10ft intervals .Check your dipsy
Chart and keep your baits above the fish.Also try alittle deeper water.

Hello thank you for your reply. I have heard that keeping baits above the fish is a very good reminder and advice to follow. I'm heading out tomorrow(July 11th) from Port Burwell. Hope to catch my first Walleye. Any advice as to where I should go. Thank you.

There are alot of guys on this site much more knowledgeable than I. I would head out of burwell and work west starting in the 45' and going deeper. You need to keep making bait changes in size and color...and dont be afraid to run worm harnesses either. keep watching the markings and work your baits into the zone...speed can also be very important so keep trying different speeds. I'll sometimes start at 1.8 and end at 3. I like baits in purple/greens and copper orange but always open to trying anything. Also watch bait size. Sometimes they are all over big stick baits and next time they like 3" spoons....I do find the thinner 3.5" walleye spoons much more effective than the bigger salmon style spoons....good luck

Hello I am new to this site and this is my first thread. Very quick thanks to all for info I have gotten the past year since becoming a huge fishing fan of Lake Erie Ont and 6-8 fishing reports.
I was out Monday with my son and headed East from Pt. Burwell first stop was 43 fow near the sand hills. We caught 5 quick descent yellows. tried various spots until about 3pm most all other boaters were gone and perch stopped biting. I noticed a couple large charter boats just out, one headed far and deep barely could see him and the other was trolling where I was in 42 to 47 fow. I said to my son let's start trolling. I loaded my down rigger up with small spoons on the main and another on the cheater set it at 35 feet with 25 foot lead on the main. I also setup a dipsy diver using a chad rap and about 75' out. We trolled for 2 hours during which we were marking all kinds of schools of bait fish with 6 to 10 much larger fish on the sonar. Not one hit on anything. So many markings on the sonar but no hits. Can anyone suggest what I could have tried to make a difference? Thanks in advance
I posted some general trolling tips under "Port Franks" post showing some of the lures and basic starting points. you may want to have a look at the post ...

In the afternoon run your downrigger lines at least 150 feet back , fish are hitting at 25 ft. 27 ft down .
Trust this helps you and puts fish in the boat .
Regards
Monty

In the afternoon run your downrigger lines at least 150 feet back , fish are hitting at 25 ft. 27 ft down .
Trust this helps you and puts fish in the boat .
Regards
Monty
I will be sure to follow this advice you are the second person to mention 100' plus back from ball on the rigger. I thought 25' was good lol. I figured if I let more out the spoon/harness would surface but that wouldn't make any sense. Thank you I am stoked hope I can sleep tonight hahaha

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks