Port Franks

Towerdawg

Hi all, I'll start by saying that this site has been great for research and updates and a big thanks to everyone who posts here!

I'm new to fishing out of Port Franks so I'm looking for some helpful intel. My setup consists of dipsies rods and leadcore rods. I'm not asking for hot spots (unless you want to give 'em up!) I'll put in the work and find the fish. What I'm looking for are tips on trolling speed, lure colour, depth of water to fish, and where the heck are the "fingers" I've read about?

I am assuming all of these are different depending on what I'm targeting. So let's say Salmon, walleye and Lakers.

Thanks again everyone.

I don't know anything about Port Franks, so I can't help you there, but I can offer some fishing info .
So far this year with the colder water temps, the fish seem to be scattered throughout the water collum , but as water warms up try to find the thermocline and target that area and down.

I generally start my dipsy's on #3 back 90 & 120 and adjust from there for both walleye and salmon. so far this year most of my fish have come in 130-145 back range.

copper backed spoons work very well for walleye
yellow backed spoons work well for lake trout just up from bottom.
silver and gold backed spoons work great for salmon.
hot spoons: yellow tail, blueberry muffin, greasy chicken, nascar, piston cup, mixed veggies, wonderbread, silver/blue, silver/green
are good starters...keep changing up

Ripplin redfins traditionally are great walleye body baits, but I have caught several rainbows and salmon on them on lake ont.
these are just general starting points ...try different setup until you find out what is working.

Edit: Picture of map removed due to copyright concernts.

Hi all, I'll start by saying that this site has been great for research and updates and a big thanks to everyone who posts here!

I'm new to fishing out of Port Franks so I'm looking for some helpful intel. My setup consists of dipsies rods and leadcore rods. I'm not asking for hot spots (unless you want to give 'em up!) I'll put in the work and find the fish. What I'm looking for are tips on trolling speed, lure colour, depth of water to fish, and where the heck are the "fingers" I've read about?

I am assuming all of these are different depending on what I'm targeting. So let's say Salmon, walleye and Lakers.

Thanks again everyone.
@Jason Hill,here is a bit of information on the North side of Kettle Point including the "Fingers,"(number 6), that you were inquiring about.Be very careful and always on the Alert in this area as they mentioned,it is also one of my favourite spots to fish there.Structure! Structure! Structure!! ROCK SHOAL!! But that's one of the spots the Fish Love to "Hang Out," because of the ever changing depth at the "Fingers." As of fishing off Port Franks,it is a hit and miss depending on the time of year.I usually Fish there in the Spring,during the Bluewater Anglers Salmon Derby.Salmon and Lakers are usually in the 80 plus depth come summertime.I am looking forward to downrigging for Salmon and Lakers in that 80 feet of water plus depth,whenever the Lake is Safe to fish,Weather Wise.My article mentions what Tackle to use and what techniques to use mostly in the Spring,and also some information on the other Seasons.@Puddle Jumper also has Great information on the Fish that you mentioned to want to Catch. Be Careful,Tight Lines,& FISH ON!! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
here are a few pictures of some of my go to lures, as mentioned in previous post. I rarely use the lymans anymore (not sure why) tried one the other nite on lake O and dusk and got a decent chinook.
2017-07-10_16.10.25.jpg 2017-07-09_18.15.12.jpg 2017-07-10_16.10.25.jpg 2017-07-09_18.15.12.jpg

I don't know anything about Port Franks, so I can't help you there, but I can offer some fishing info .
So far this year with the colder water temps, the fish seem to be scattered throughout the water collum , but as water warms up try to find the thermocline and target that area and down.

I generally start my dipsy's on #3 back 90 & 120 and adjust from there for both walleye and salmon. so far this year most of my fish have come in 130-145 back range.

copper backed spoons work very well for walleye
yellow backed spoons work well for lake trout just up from bottom.
silver and gold backed spoons work great for salmon.
hot spoons: yellow tail, blueberry muffin, greasy chicken, nascar, piston cup, mixed veggies, wonderbread, silver/blue, silver/green
are good starters...keep changing up

Ripplin redfins traditionally are great walleye body baits, but I have caught several rainbows and salmon on them on lake ont.
these are just general starting points ...try different setup until you find out what is working.

Thanks @Puddle Jumper I will give some of those a try! I have a good selection of copper back spoons from fishing Erieau last year! What do you think of leadcore?

Thanks @Puddle Jumper I will give some of those a try! I have a good selection of copper back spoons from fishing Erieau last year! What do you think of leadcore?
I really like leadcore..(I use 5,6,8,10 depending on time of year mostly 8&10 from mid july on). except when silver bass / white perch are biting like crazy....reeling in 400-500' of line with silver's gets old quick.
I generally use dipsy's out each side on # 3 and a 8 & 10 colour off the back corners of boat (that's when just using 4 rods (2people)) on calm days i'm starting to use inline planner boards allot more. I also have a shark/tuna rod rigged with planner cord and run a big board off that on occasion....depending on boat setup i'm in (need a good , well mounted rod holder near front of boat) (I don't take my small boat on the great lakes any more, so setups I use and run depending on who I go with and boat set-up (allot of my friends have boats but limited tackle and great lake experience so it works out for both of us..they have boat, igot the gear and tackle) I'm generally get out on the great lakes 10-15 times a year in half dozen different boats , so I'm lucky enough to see and learn allot of different techniques and setups.
hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions, allot of experienced anglers on the forum!!!

View attachment 5477
@Jason Hill,here is a bit of information on the North side of Kettle Point including the "Fingers,"(number 6), that you were inquiring about.Be very careful and always on the Alert in this area as they mentioned,it is also one of my favourite spots to fish there.Structure! Structure! Structure!! ROCK SHOAL!! But that's one of the spots the Fish Love to "Hang Out," because of the ever changing depth at the "Fingers." As of fishing off Port Franks,it is a hit and miss depending on the time of year.I usually Fish there in the Spring,during the Bluewater Anglers Salmon Derby.Salmon and Lakers are usually in the 80 plus depth come summertime.I am looking forward to downrigging for Salmon and Lakers in that 80 feet of water plus depth,whenever the Lake is Safe to fish,Weather Wise.My article mentions what Tackle to use and what techniques to use mostly in the Spring,and also some information on the other Seasons.@Puddle Jumper also has Great information on the Fish that you mentioned to want to Catch. Be Careful,Tight Lines,& FISH ON!! (y)

Thanks @Red Hering where can I find that article? Is it available on the blue water anglers website? It looks to me you've put in a few hours out there! I've tried a few of those locations already but I was definitely not fishing the right depths. I heard a theory that when the river is blown out from rain that it turns the bite off. Any truth to that?

I really like leadcore..(I use 5,6,8,10 depending on time of year mostly 8&10 from mid july on). except when silver bass / white perch are biting like crazy....reeling in 400-500' of line with silver's gets old quick.
I generally use dipsy's out each side on # 3 and a 8 & 10 colour off the back corners of boat (that's when just using 4 rods (2people)) on calm days i'm starting to use inline planner boards allot more. I also have a shark/tuna rod rigged with planner cord and run a big board off that on occasion....depending on boat setup i'm in (need a good , well mounted rod holder near front of boat) (I don't take my small boat on the great lakes any more, so setups I use and run depending on who I go with and boat set-up (allot of my friends have boats but limited tackle and great lake experience so it works out for both of us..they have boat, igot the gear and tackle) I'm generally get out on the great lakes 10-15 times a year in half dozen different boats , so I'm lucky enough to see and learn allot of different techniques and setups.
hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions, allot of experienced anglers on the forum!!!

That's the setup I'm running right now, dipsys on the outside set to #3 and lead core on the corners. I hope to get out this week. I'll post an update if I have any success....thanks again.

IMG_9708.JPG IMG_9699.JPG IMG_9709.JPG IMG_9697.JPG IMG_9707.JPG
No worries, I went to the BWAA website and found it this morning. Can't wait to put it to use!
Sounds Good @Jason Hill.(y) But to answer one of your previous questions,I never heard that about the Bite being turned off after the river is blown after it rained.If I was going to fish there at that time,I would go beyond the "Mud Line," where the water starts to clear out again,and troll along the "Mud Line." So not to take all of the credit with the spot's that I showed you North of Kettle Point such as "The Fingers,"that photo was taken out of the Bluewater Anglers Salmon Derby booklet,(Free),that the Bluewater Anglers Club puts out every Spring during the Salmon Derby.If you need more of my assistance,please let me know,and the Bluewater Anglers is a great Club to be a member of,if you ever decide to join.I got the photo's to post that I tried to do earlier.Enjoy,& For now,Tight Lines,& FISH ON!! (y)

@Red Hering @Puddle Jumper Well guys.. your help has paid off! Was out last Tuesday and got into a bunch of walleye. The bite really got going around 7pm. Landed 9, 4 were drinks but the others were all in the 23-27" range. The ripplin redfin's were killing it on the leadcore, but caught on the dipsies with spoons as well.
80 FOW, 10 colours and 110ft back on #3 on dipsies. Best lures were gold redfins, and gold/black spoons.

I hope to post a picture...once I figure out how to do it!

Thanks again boys!

Down from the thermocline? I thought conventional wisdom was to avoid going under it. Not that it's made a difference for me on Burwell. I just put lines down without counting line and catch fish regardless!

Hard to tell from the picture - how big are those spoons if you don't mind me asking?
the wonderbread,blueberry muffin & greasy chicken are (NK mag size ) the other spoons on top are (NK 28) size....while bottom left ..nascar & pink panties are just little bit smaller than NK28 's .....I have used all 3 sizes on erie this year with good success.....that mag wonderbread has been top producer for first thing in morning @ port bruce.....but seems too shut down around 9 ish...not sure why (happened 3 trips in a row...starts out hot...then turns steady...then stops producing)

Down from the thermocline? I thought conventional wisdom was to avoid going under it. Not that it's made a difference for me on Burwell. I just put lines down without counting line and catch fish regardless!
I'm not sure about conventional wisdom ....but from my experience on all three great lakes.....I generally fish where the fish are or just above them..5' ....so when temp warms up and the fish and bait move below the thermocline.....that's where I want my lures too run

@Red Hering @Puddle Jumper Well guys.. your help has paid off! Was out last Tuesday and got into a bunch of walleye. The bite really got going around 7pm. Landed 9, 4 were drinks but the others were all in the 23-27" range. The ripplin redfin's were killing it on the leadcore, but caught on the dipsies with spoons as well.
80 FOW, 10 colours and 110ft back on #3 on dipsies. Best lures were gold redfins, and gold/black spoons.

I hope to post a picture...once I figure out how to do it!

Thanks again boys!
Excellent Fishing @Towerdawg.Sorry for the late reply,but I just got back recently from a nearly 3 week Fishing trip in Fort Frances and the Kenora area.Have you been back out on Lake Huron recently,& how has the Fishing been,if you did get out for Walleye's.Thanks in Advance,& Walleye's ON!!

Thanks @Red Hering ! The Ripplin redfin's were working again. Was out for a couple of hours with the wife on Saturday morning and got one nice eater. Fishing 70fow and 10 colours of lead in the water. Leadcore is definitely out fishing the dipsies. IMG_20170826_104110.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks