Perchin in the Fog-Nov. 12

jumbos

Well the three of us left home about 10:30, just as the fog was burning off. When we got to the causway at LPB the fog was thick as pea soup, but we figured it wouldn't be long before it was gone on the bay. Stopped bye at Rotten Ronnies and got a good scoop of minnows from Jimmy and we were off to the ramp at Old Cut. Took our time going out as the fog was not letting up, made our way to an waypoint that I have just off the weed bed with only the gps as a guide. Wasn't exactly thrilled about going out that way but we were sure this fog wouldn't last, wrong, it never did get any better. Fished for a couple hours in that general area, but with the fog holding steady we were unwilling to venture much farther. We got into small schools of decent perch and did what we could with them. Kept 27 nice size perch from 8-12" and probably through back about the same. Been a long summer of steady work and it was great to get some R&R time in, the fish in the cooler is an added bonus.
046.jpg

Brian (Legend Man)

Good going Brian. Nice Perch! You're not kidding about the fog. I was duck hunting at the LPWMU and headed to a stake 10 minutes from Sand Boys that I've hunted for 30 years. I used a compass to navigate and after an hour decided I was lost. I was only a few 100 yards from my destination, but who knew. We ended up with 8 birds so no complaints, Maybe I'll ask Santa for a portable GPS. The duck boat isn't equipped with one.

Hi all.
Jumbos. Nice work.
My wife and I left home at 13:30. 15 degrees and no wind.
We get to the causway and I am thinking lets go home. No. We get two scoops of jimmy's finest and head out. I kept the boat on the step as slow as she would go. We passed two boats in the pea soup and hit our spot. I am guessing 2 degrees with a good breeze from the east and some nice mist fogging my glasses. We Bobber fished and that was successfull as the dead sticks did nothing. The bite was very lite but we managed some nice ten inchers. It is the first time I relied on my GPS to get home. Not a good feeling.
We were both dressed in full Ice Fishing gear with floaters suits and we were still cold.
Cheers, clark

Here's the satellite photo from Friday aftermoon around 2pm showing the fog banks over the Lake. Pretty cool.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=e&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.10316.1846.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

DAVEEO

Good to be reading your report again jumbos,Good Fishing,despite the Fog.I still have my boat out,but fishing different waters locally.Glad to read that you and company,had a great day on the water,and some well deserved R&R time in.I am assuming that the water levels at the boat ramps are O.K. this time of year to get out into the Bay.Play Safe.8D

RED FISH

Walleye,Thank-You also for the report.Nice to be able to catch some fish,even when the conditions are not the greatest--Fog.Nice to be able to still get out this time of year,during the open water season.Keep On Catching.

RED FISH

quote:
Originally posted by Red Hering

Good to be reading your report again jumbos,Good Fishing,despite the Fog.I still have my boat out,but fishing different waters locally.Glad to read that you and company,had a great day on the water,and some well deserved R&R time in.I am assuming that the water levels at the boat ramps are O.K. this time of year to get out into the Bay.Play Safe.8D

RED FISH

Hey Red Fish, water is very low but ok. It depends alot on wind direction, it was about a foot higher from the time we went out to the time we came in. The fog was more of an issue than the water depth. Foresure some bigger perch in the bay this fall, especially for mid November, didn't think we would get into bigger perch that close to old cut. If there's ice this winter, it may be worth drilling a few holes if the bigger girls stay.

Brian (Legend Man)

Thank-You jumbos,about the water depth concern that I had from my last report,because I normally fished well into early October & beyond for Perch in the previous years,the shallow water in the Fall,especially out of Long Point Bay Provincial Park,was an issue I had,plus other anglers & perhaps Duck Hunters also,using that ramp.I am hoping to get out once these winds will subside,and I will give the Old Cut Ramp a try.I would rather run & gun for Perch out on the open water,then walking forever here & there,once the hard water season starts.I will send in my report,if I do get a chance(weather wise),to get down to the Bay.Tight Lines & Sharp Hooks.8D

RED FISH

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks