Perch rig question

Minnownite

What hooks do y'all use for perch drop shot? This is my first year not using the pickerel rig. I'll be using a floro leader which I'll be using them on. I'm going to pre make a bunch so it'll be easier later.

Kamasan #2 same style as hooks for trout fishing roe bag
This year I'm trying out the spining double swivel drop shot hooks it should eliminate line twist

Stand out #4's & #6's. I use these primarily for ice fishing with a buckshot or badboy jig as a weight underneath. I'm going to giv'em a go this season for perch.

@Wave Runner what do you tie the hooks too? As in do you also run a mono or floro leader? And what knots do you use?

Sorry I forgot to mention but I like using 8 lb. fluorocarbon so if it gets snagged I can usually get out without it breaking. I find it makes no difference compared to using anything lighter. I still use perch rigs more but the great thing about dropshoting is the perch is always hooked in the lip. No gut hooking and you can feel the light bite better. For knots I use Palomar or Uni.

Last edited:
Just to inform everybody. My last post on this thread has some misleading info in it. Yes @Thirstystone does make perch rigs that you can get through the classified section here on 6-8, however they are not available at Angling Outfitters. I had a misunderstanding when having a conversation with thirstystone and would like to make things right.

I am truly sorry for any inconveniences I may have caused.
Johnw

I still prefer the old "faithfull" pickerel rigs for my perch fishing , switching back and forth with jigging our favourite jigs that work well for large jumbos and the odd walleye that comes our way
tried the drop shots , didn't care for it for perching
but if it works for you , that's all that matters !!

Since I have had no success perch fishing so far, I'll set up a couple of different methods based on this thread.

make sure you are using braid and a sensitive rod to feel the very light bites
sometimes you just feel extra weight on your line and you set the hook ...
if you ever want to come out with me and get some pointers , let me know

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks