Park Parking Problems ?

Old Cut LongPointer

In the past if you rented a walk out blind inside the Park ( #1 thru 7 ?) you were given a free parking permit but so I've been told this is no longer the case and you will have to shell out another 10.75 to park your vehicle should you rent one of those "walk outs" .

Maybe a Director from LPWA could look into this ?

Also; if you park in the Line up before midnight you need a parking permit but after midnight you don't.
What's up with that ? Seems like too many new "user" fees ..... what next pay toilets ?

Hello OCLP,

I believe that the new policy came into effect for the 2012 season as I only hunted the unit twice that year and both times a few of the guys were really upset with the apparent "cash grab".

The daily parking fee also applied to those hunters using the main boat launch unless they had a season pass.

Last year I only went to the unit once and left after the walk outs and the west blinds (38,39,40) were taken. There was no requirement to pay a daily parking fee to be in the line up last year.

I went to the unit yesterday however and noticed that you apparently now have to pay to be in the line up ... the new rule did not indicate anything about midnight. What if you do not take a blind and go home like I did last year?

A fall pass is $54.00 and a season pass is $107.50 (gst included).

Jerome

PS Your brother stopped by last Friday on the way to the cottage ... phone me!

Tundra Swan is essentially correct. A Daily Park fee has existed for a long time but the park only started seriously imposing it on hunters last year. LPWA President, Glenn Hanson had meetings with Park admin to try and have the fee waived before the 2014 season but was unsuccessful. Many of our local members and those who have trailers on site have at least a seasonal pass therefore they are not implicated. Hunters who line up after midnight, do not launch their boats at the park ramp and do not park their vehicle inside the park are not exposed to the fee. The Howie Ave launch is outside the Park. There is little the LPWA can do. Long Point Provincial Park has rules like any other park and we must abide by their rules.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, because of this cost. I did not buy a sustaining membership this year. I used the money to buy a seasons pass.

Think you have to remember that it is the Ontario Parks charging the fee, neither the lpwa or the unit get any money from this. Anyone paying to use the beach have to pay the fee,
If you got in line at 9pm I would bet there is no one looking for your pass after thanksgiving.
You wouldn't have to pay for toilets cause they closed them early last year which the directors were on top of it right away trying to make thing better last year and future years. But again its the parks choice.
Anything you have heard our directors have already heard about it looked into it and got answers weather it can be changed or it cant.

Thanks guys ! I can understand if you are using the boat ramp the Park can levy a fee because you may not be shooting the Unit but seeing as you rented a blind you should be given a pass. My understanding of "the deal" is public hunting is allowed so long as it doesn't cost the Park money. Which to date I don't believe has happened because of the LPWA/OFAH guarantee. I like to think of us as duckhunters and not cash cows.

I brought this up last year as well. Unfortunately Ontario Parks wants their cut. $50 bucks or so for the season. I feel bad for Fred, he's been fielding most of the complaints.

It's a bit crooked for them to do this after all the years it was never an issue. It's been a few seasons since I've hunted the unit, but I'd consider not bothering with it now.

I bought another fall pass this year
Mainly because I am sometimes using the ramp that way and parking at the end for when we're hunting a walkout (plus this year, they registered both of my vehicles on it!)
I Consider myself lucky to still be able to hunt the unit, hopefully it'll be there for other generations to enjoy!
Perhaps, if they worked something out with the park to waive the fee for sustaining members(raise the membership fee by say $20 and turn it straight over to the park) more people might opt to become members and support the unit in turn the unit gets more sustaining members!
Win/Win maybe?
The more benifits you can offer people with a membership, the more people you'll probably attract

Hello Guys,

A few points:

Duck Soup ... rest assured that we appreciate all that the LPWA Board of Directors do to ensure that the unit remains viable for future waterfowlers.

John ... I am not surprised by your decision but the recipients of your money are different.

Donald ... the difference is that the individuals using the beach are only charged for one (1) daily vehicle permit regardless of how many people arrive in that vehicle. Consequently they all get to use the beach as well as all the park facilities for just the cost of one (1) daily vehicle permit. The waterfowlers (by comparison) specifically pay $20.00 per person ($5.00 for youth hunters) to hunt the unit plus the additional cost of a daily vehicle permit. To be fair (this is beyond the LPWA control) the park should charge each individual a fee to use the beach plus the additional cost of a daily vehicle permit. I would understand if the park wanted to charge waterfowlers hunting the unit an additional nominal fee for the use of their boat launch and the full $10.75 fee to those waterfowlers hunting outside the unit (as per OCLP's comment). That additional "parking fee" appears to be a sore point for some waterfowlers and will "turn" some individuals away from hunting the unit.

OCLP ... think of yourself as a "waterfowler" not as a "duck hunter" ... phone me.

Jello ... I agree that poor Fred was (is) on the "receiving end" of this issue.

Porkpie ... I understand your thoughts regarding this issue but the unit is still a fine place to hunt.

Dicker ... you raised a good point but an increase in the sustaining membership fee to include the "parking fee" may have a negative effect on those sustaining members who do not hunt the unit very often. However perhaps the LPWA could negotiate a discount for all LPWA members ... perhaps a $40.00 fall pass for LPWA members vs a $54.00 fall pass for non-members.

I guess that this could be discussed at our Annual General Meeting next spring.

Jerome

I got a complimetary boat launch pass when I hunted the unit on the opener, was this a mistake? (I've also been offered this in recent previous years too.)

I got a complimetary boat launch pass when I hunted the unit on the opener, was this a mistake? (I've also been offered this in recent previous years too.)
Yes, historically we did get complimentary passes but that ended in 2013. If you hunted the Unit with a youth on Heritage Day the Park may have made exceptions but the policy now is that we all pay. That being said I have no idea how it will be enforced after Thanksgiving.

Thanks again for pointing out the obvious Jerome.
Yes is sucks but even 20 bucks and 10 parking isn't that bad. If anyone is complaining about the parking fee while having a smoke or beer then there is your choice. Cant get drunk for 30 bucks in most places but you can kill some ducks. Learn to kill 6 ducks with ten shots instead of a box and there is your parking, I had to pay 10 bucks to park at the dam simcoe fair last night,
Parking at a jays games 10 bucks easily. People pay $1.5 for bottle water instead of drinking from the tap these days, It is what it is that's my rant while i'm at work, going to go head whoop some greenheads in 40 mins

Last edited by a moderator:
We shot 25 geese last week and the farmer let us park for free.

Sorry, just being a deek. ;)

Sustaining membership and parking, $280 or so. Worth it to have a nice place to hunt when the private fields are a bust.

But in perspective, for those that only hunt public water and the unit, it's pretty cheap over all. I hunt the unit, the big river, and a hand full of farms. If you compare to private field hunting alone, the amount of fuel and time it takes to scout gets pretty expensive. I also gift the land owners every Christmas, so add 50.00 per farmer, runs me about 400.00 per year. Gas, I don't even want to think about it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks