OMB Rules on Hastings Drive

47 county owned lots ?

Most people haven't seen land survey maps and do not realize how small and oddly shaped lots can be or that many bush lots they've grown up thinking a single person owns is actually broken up into blocks with multiple owners. Many cities and counties will have online interactive maps which show aerial maps with property boundaries overlaid to make it extremely easy to locate actual property lines.

Yep, Norfolk has an interactive map but it won't load in my browser. Anyone who lives in the area can follow this link (http://www.norfolkcounty.ca/visiting/norfolk-maps/online-interactive-maps/) and click on the top option "Community Web Map" to see actual lot boundaries overlaid on a Google Earth type interactive map. Click on the property and it'll show you the roll # which you can take to the local land registry to find out who the registered owner is for a small fee.

Great tool for settling land disputes, finding hunting properties, etc.

Yep, Norfolk has an interactive map but it won't load in my browser. Anyone who lives in the area can follow this link (http://www.norfolkcounty.ca/visiting/norfolk-maps/online-interactive-maps/) and click on the top option "Community Web Map" to see actual lot boundaries overlaid on a Google Earth type interactive map. Click on the property and it'll show you the roll # which you can take to the local land registry to find out who the registered owner is for a small fee.

Great tool for settling land disputes, finding hunting properties, etc.

My understanding of the County Owned Lots on Hastings:

1 TO 17
94 TO 100
103 TO 120
Lots 18, 65, 102 and 144 as set out on registered Plan 251 were dedicated as public highways by the registered plan of subdivision, and extend from Hastings Drive into Lake Erie. Because of their dedication by the plan they are not considered individual lots and should be considered rights of ways.

There are a few other staggered ones, yet not sure the exact numbers.

Thanks for info ! I was unaware that there was that much public land along there. I see many signs saying private property or no trespassing but no County signs designating public areas. I am assuming of course that the public is allowed on these properties ?

Thanks for info ! I was unaware that there was that much public land along there. I see many signs saying private property or no trespassing but no County signs designating public areas. I am assuming of course that the public is allowed on these properties ?

County should properly put signage up to identify the public lots, since it is very confusing and causes a lot of disputes. My understanding is the public currently is allowed on all of the County owned lots. The problem is where you can legally park, since the road has a mix mash of parking rules and is very narrow at some points. After this OMB ruling they may try to stop even me from parking a car or boat trailer on my privately owned lot which we've leased and owned since 1947, so not sure where these parking rules will be heading now.

County should properly put signage up to identify the public lots, since it is very confusing and causes a lot of disputes. My understanding is the public currently is allowed on all of the County owned lots. The problem is where you can legally park, since the road has a mix mash of parking rules and is very narrow at some points. After this OMB ruling they may try to stop even me from parking a car or boat trailer on my privately owned lot which we've leased and owned since 1947, so not sure where these parking rules will be heading now.

Will this ruling affect the construction you have done on your property over the last couple years?

Will this ruling affect the construction you have done on your property over the last couple years?
I don't believe so, since the OMB Bylaw is based on a go forward basis not referring to any site. More then 2 years ago I obtained all the necessary approvals and permits from the County and required agencies. So basically any structure or use legally established prior to the passing of this OMB Bylaw, would now be considered legal non-conforming and may continue. Yet, I will still be attending this Tuesday's public meeting to see first hand what the future outlook on Hastings will be.

Does the map posted above work for you? If so, open it up and switch to satellite view so you can pinpoint pretty much exactly where the property boundaries are for each lot. You can zoom in close enough to easily identify landmarks. Not sure if it can be sent to a handheld GPS track to make life very easy?

When we had our property surveyed last year I was surprised the wood stakes and map software were pretty much exactly the same and it's also bang on with the public properties I hunt so it's accurate.

I wonder if locals could demand and be successful with having the county pay for a complete survey of the area? But, that may not work in their favor has many people often claim a bit of extra land over the years....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks