Fishing Report Old Cut w Jimmy and GoPro

Ferg311

Went out with Jimmy with R&R Outdoors yesterday for some perch fishing. My old man never went ice fishing before and we fish a fair bit in the softwater so thought i would bring him along. First time i have went "perch" fishing through the ice and thought i would share some tips and tricks to help any other newbies.

First of all Jimmy is a great guide and I recommend his charter for anyone that wants to get out. Warm huts, got us on the perch and checked in with us every 45 min or so to see if all is well.

The water was clear and fishing around 7 ft of water. We used williams spoons to flash the schools in and have other jiggin rapalas and small jigs ready. We tried jigs and minnows but think the small fast action spoons or buckshot were the ticket.

First time perch fishing like i said our mistake was we were throwing back the little ones when we were on the schools. We got on about 3-4 real big schools throughout the day and heard not to throw back the little ones until after the school as gone as they would swim away and the school would follow. MAKES SENCE SHIT.

Oh well, when the schools were under us we couldn't get the lines in the water fast enough. I brought a GoPro and shot some underwater video of a small school we came across.
Great day, back and neck hurts a little from looking over the hole so much lol caught about 30 perch about 5 eaters and our biggest was this one. Guess would of been alot more if we didn't throw back the little ones right away. We didn't catch on until late in the day that the school would leave after about 5 min of great fishing lol.

Dont forget - pliers, food, drinks, music

Cheers

Ferg

Attachments

• Big D Party Perch.jpg
    Big D Party Perch.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 83
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks