Old Cut Feb. 17, 2018

Hooked on Ice

Went out today with 3 friends a bit east of the main group of huts, by the pressure crack. Caught 9 decent perch and a 24" pike. Hooked another smaller pike but he didn't stay hooked, and later on another pike hung around for a bit but wouldn't bite. Ice was a good 8", cleats required as snow is all gone.

looks like the fishing was better over on that side all smalll ones at st williams yesterday
The parking lot at the Old Cut looks Busy! Word has gotten out that the Big Ones have been caught there the past few days.I guess that I was too early there on my last trip on Tuesday.I am heading to a River today instead,before the Heavy Rain for the next few day’s comes,and create a Massive Flood!! Tight Lines to everyone on the Ice,or off a Riverbank.????

Attachments

• F1B92235-5EF4-4281-8129-0726754368AF.jpeg
    F1B92235-5EF4-4281-8129-0726754368AF.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 7CC79617-7FB3-4838-91A7-D335BA2DA1CB.jpeg
    7CC79617-7FB3-4838-91A7-D335BA2DA1CB.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 44
The same here @bryonfromTilly.I fished off the Riverbank yesterday(photo),for Walleye’s for about an hour,& No Luck.I just needed to get out to see some moving water,& trying out the long rods again for casting,& Anticipating the Walleye Run when it gets here after the Rain & The Flooding is over,Likely in a week or so.Tight Lines,& Walleye’s ON before the Season closes in Zone 16 on March 15/18. ????

Attachments

• 9251425F-7724-425B-A529-CEF4AF6A62B5.jpeg
    9251425F-7724-425B-A529-CEF4AF6A62B5.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 54
Hey Red, are you down by Delaware where I think you might be in that picture? Won't say where, but I recognize that corner.

The same here @bryonfromTilly.I fished off the Riverbank yesterday(photo),for Walleye’s for about an hour,& No Luck.I just needed to get out to see some moving water,& trying out the long rods again for casting,& Anticipating the Walleye Run when it gets here after the Rain & The Flooding is over,Likely in a week or so.Tight Lines,& Walleye’s ON before the Season closes in Zone 16 on March 15/18. ????
its to bad the run closes march 15.really doesnt get good till april 1st.uuhhgg

I am planning on taking my boys out for some walleye fishing on the Thames in the London area soon, will be first try at walleye for us. Just wondering what type of bait or jig works for walleye on the river?

I am planning on taking my boys out for some walleye fishing on the Thames in the London area soon, will be first try at walleye for us. Just wondering what type of bait or jig works for walleye on the river?
Just your basic jig head and twister tail works great just run it along the bottom

Good eyes @Trevor M. Yes that’s the spot,same spot from last year(Photo)& I love that area near Delaware.As predicted from my last post,the Thames is “Flying High” right now,& by the looks of it,it will take quite awhile to drop back down again to fishable Riverbank Fishing again.Hopefully by March 15/18,before the Walleye Season closes in Zone 16.Tight Lines,& maybe we will meet in the Delaware area someday.????

Attachments

• 46CD971D-8249-4237-B400-FBC2A53FE61B.jpeg
    46CD971D-8249-4237-B400-FBC2A53FE61B.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 17
its to bad the run closes march 15.really doesnt get good till april 1st.uuhhgg
I totally agree @dave w The Fishing does get a lot better around April 1st,and it would be nice to see the Closed Season Open again in Zone 16,Because the Walleye’s have rebounded in the past few year’s with good catches out of Boats in the Detroit River & St.Clair River,& also Lake Erie.Here’s Hoping that there will be a few Walleye’s left in the Delaware area,once the Closed Season/Sanctuary opens up again on May 15/18. Tight Lines,& Hopefully Walleye’s On in the Thames River,around the Delaware area. ????

Attachments

• 3DDEC239-F3CC-41BF-B968-B0B59C403C67.jpeg
    3DDEC239-F3CC-41BF-B968-B0B59C403C67.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 6
Good eyes @Trevor M. Yes that’s the spot,same spot from last year(Photo)& I love that area near Delaware.As predicted from my last post,the Thames is “Flying High” right now,& by the looks of it,it will take quite awhile to drop back down again to fishable Riverbank Fishing again.Hopefully by March 15/18,before the Walleye Season closes in Zone 16.Tight Lines,& maybe we will meet in the Delaware area someday.????

I hear ya Red. I know some of the spots in the Delaware area, and some spots within London and a few in between.....seen lots of fish caught.....but......as I've said many times before......that damn river hates me......doesn't matter where I go on it...sometimes I can see the fish right in front of me, and they just won't bite.......it's been 5 years since that river has allowed me a fish..ya never know, even though I'm still in winter mode, which means I don't go fishing and watch a lot of hockey.....usually by the beginning of March I've changed the lines and replaced what needs to be replaced in the box so when I decide to venture out and see if the river will be good to me or not before it closes I'm ready.....so you may see me down there sometime between the 1st and 15th depending on weather and water level......

I hear ya Red. I know some of the spots in the Delaware area, and some spots within London and a few in between.....seen lots of fish caught.....but......as I've said many times before......that damn river hates me......doesn't matter where I go on it...sometimes I can see the fish right in front of me, and they just won't bite.......it's been 5 years since that river has allowed me a fish..ya never know, even though I'm still in winter mode, which means I don't go fishing and watch a lot of hockey.....usually by the beginning of March I've changed the lines and replaced what needs to be replaced in the box so when I decide to venture out and see if the river will be good to me or not before it closes I'm ready.....so you may see me down there sometime between the 1st and 15th depending on weather and. LOL water level......
Looking forward to meeting up with you @Trevor M,now that you know where one of my Fishing Spot is. LOL

I totally agree @dave w The Fishing does get a lot better around April 1st,and it would be nice to see the Closed Season Open again in Zone 16,Because the Walleye’s have rebounded in the past few year’s with good catches out of Boats in the Detroit River & St.Clair River,& also Lake Erie.Here’s Hoping that there will be a few Walleye’s left in the Delaware area,once the Closed Season/Sanctuary opens up again on May 15/18. Tight Lines,& Hopefully Walleye’s On in the Thames River,around the Delaware area. ????
ya i know red.as you know most are gone by last week in april.i use to follow them on there way back.thamsville area ,after it opened on april 15th...the good old days.haha

Had a chance to see the Thames today, while on the 402 river crossing near Delaware. Looked more like a lake then anything else. Looking North West from the bridge, Hwy 2 was no more then 20/30 feet from the water's edge. At normal levels the river bank, has to be 1/2 - 3/4 mile away.
If this rain stops, how long would you think it'll take the water to drop down to "normal" levels for this time of year?

Dan

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks