Nice people at Longpoint

cisco

Hunted 1st time there yesterday with a pal and met some great helpful hunters who helped explain procedures. Got there night before and slept in the truck to try for a nice blind. We were after divers so took any and all advice we could get. 4 female bufflehead; 4 redheads and 2 ruddy ducks were taken. Didn't finish off limits since we were keeping the openings for canvasbacks. We had a blast!! Thank you for all your help!
Interesting to note we didn't see any male bufflehead among all the females we saw. Didn't notice any cans either BTW. Way out in the bay we saw what looked like gulls and waterfowl all flying over a small area and diving after something.....maybe a school of minnows? Any thoughts on what was going on there/what kind of waterfowl would be doing this? Cormorants sit and dive methinks but these dark birds seemed to be flying and then diving in. Also saw a couple swans (mute my pal thinks) . Great day for us!!
Thank you again for all your hospitality.

Most guys are great at the unit!
Did they have a fire on Friday night?
I got most of my help from the regular guys that are around the Fire, plus I had a good time to boot!
Might have been mergansers in with the gulls, usually we see them out there diving for minnows
Yesterday we had big gulls and terns around our decoys, so perhaps it was that
What number blind did you take?

The fire was a great gathering place. I think you're right re the mergansers. We did see some fly through our spread. Were at an outside blind. 15 with many dekes. What blind were you in and how did you do yesterday.

cisco they were definiatly mergs you saw we were at 17 and the birds came close to us a few times. Good to hear you got some birds. As for the buffies the drakes take two years to molt into full plumage

Hello Cisco,

Although there are a few Mute Swans (26 - 28 lbs) around the bay most of the swans that you will see now will be Tundra Swans (16 - 18 lbs). They are very "vocal" when they are flying.

I suspect that by next week (after this arctic vortex passes) that you will see many more Tundra Swans stopping over at Long Point for a while before heading to North Carolina.

The odd Trumpeter Swan (26 - 28 lbs) may also be seen at Long Point but this would be rare. They have a very distictive "trumpet" like call so you can easily tell them apart from the Tundra Swans.

You will see mature male Buffleheads later in the season.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks