Nanticoke Stacks to come down in February

Yeah, I'll miss them. Still use old navigation aids like landmarks to get to where I'm going. Old habits die hard but I guess I'll have to adapt.

Yeah, I'll miss them. Still use old navigation aids like landmarks to get to where I'm going. Old habits die hard but I guess I'll have to adapt.
I do the same thing @Duck Soup using landmarks as reference to where I'm heading or I'll line up 2 references points to start fishing. @Chasneyes laughs at me and says "with the technology in navigation for what we have, I still reference landmarks":ROFLMAO:

Spent my childhood summers on Ordnance Dr looking at the stacks on our front porch thinking they were on the American side of Erie.

It is sad to see a landmark go, but everything changes. Ask the folks at TP "save our beach" community or anyone trying to rebuild on Hastings. I see more damn turbines than any other landmark now, so I rely on my electronics and compass if needed.

Not to rob your thread G. Mech but on a similar topic the Pontiac Silverdome crumbles to the ground this Sunday at 9 am.
They're airing it for those that want to witness.

Not to rob your thread G. Mech but on a similar topic the Pontiac Silverdome crumbles to the ground this Sunday at 9 am.
They're airing it for those that want to witness.

Those are always cool to watch. The Silverdome implosion is going to be on their Facebook page, click on the link below in their Event page:

I remember sailing back from Erie PA in the early 80's, before GPS or even Loran C came out and a compass & chart was about all you had. The towers were the perfect navigation marker since they lined up almost perfectly to the tip of Long Point from the tip of Presqu'ile. You couldn't quite see the tops of them from Erie but a few mile offshore and they would become visible over the horizon and keep getting taller and taller until you made the point. We could have navigated without them but they gave you something to look at during the trip at least. Like Stomp says though, I really don't miss the yellow streak...

Food for thought, when they come down, the drinking water plant intake is within 500 meters of the stacks.

I wonder if you could watch from the water?

Such a load of crap... Cheapest form of hydro there is... All they needed was updated scrubbers for the stacks... All those good local jobs gone as well... Pretty soon I won't be able to afford to live in Ontario...
Not to mention how many lives those stacks have saved...

May take a drive out and watch. Stacks being replaced with the wind mills.
Just head towards that windmill is Nanticokeo_O:dead::)

@jammer I couldn't agree more.

Only a measly 4% of our power is from wind energy, yet it costs us 20% of our electrical bill. The hydro rates under the Liberals have more than doubled since 2010 and they are just getting started. Wynn's phony 17% reduction in hydro rates added another 8 billion to our already 311.7 billion debt which is now the highest per capita debt on the entire planet. The hydro reduction will end after the next election then the rates are going through the roof. Remember the Ontario Hydro debt reduction fee we paid on our bills forever? Well that 8 billion debt will be added to our bills in the same way as monthly fee along with skyrocketing increases which will easily raise rates another 55% or more over the next decade.

Think about this: Ontario's debt is more than double that of California which has the highest debt of all states. But they have a population of 39.8 million to pay for that debt while Ontario has only 13.7 million population to pay for our staggering debt and the Liberals are planning on ballooning it even more. The forth largest spending area of the Ontario budget pie is the 11.7 billion interest per year on that debt. Regardless the Wynn liberals are keeping a goal of spending another $130 billion over the next decade on work such as roads and mass transit in Toronto even after Standard & Poor dropped its credit grade this month to the lowest level ever. Yield spreads on some of the province’s debt reached the widest since January after the ratings move. The Liberals tripled the debt since coming to power in 2003 all while piling up the debt for their green energy plan which has been a monumental failure at every level.

Facts:
As of now Ontario pays 11-13.5 cents per kWh for wind power.
The average price in the U.S. is 7 cents.
The average price for Ontario nuclear, water and gas is 7 cents.

Ontario is the only province/state that charges HST, delivery, and regulatory fees on electricity.
Your rates increase every May and October.

In 2007, you paid 7 cents per kWh.
In 2017, you paid 14-27 cents per kWh, depending on usage and location when those extra charges are added.
Check your hydro bill; divide the total (including GST, delivery and regulatory fees) by your usage.

Compare our rates to: 5.6 cents in Quebec and 7.3 cents in Manitoba.
Charts comparisons of electricity rates across Canada or N. America are misleading because they do not include
Ontario’s delivery and regulatory charges.
These charges need to be included to get the actual cost.

@jammer I couldn't agree more.

Only a measly 4% of our power is from wind energy, yet it costs us 20% of our electrical bill. The hydro rates under the Liberals have more than doubled since 2010 and they are just getting started. Wynn's phony 17% reduction in hydro rates added another 8 billion to our already 311.7 billion debt which is now the highest per capita debt on the entire planet. The hydro reduction will end after the next election then the rates are going through the roof. Remember the Ontario Hydro debt reduction fee we paid on our bills forever? Well that 8 billion debt will be added to our bills in the same way as monthly fee along with skyrocketing increases which will easily raise rates another 55% or more over the next decade.

Think about this: Ontario's debt is more than double that of California which has the highest debt of all states. But they have a population of 39.8 million to pay for that debt while Ontario has only 13.7 million population to pay for our staggering debt and the Liberals are planning on ballooning it even more. The forth largest spending area of the Ontario budget pie is the 11.7 billion interest per year on that debt. Regardless the Wynn liberals are keeping a goal of spending another $130 billion over the next decade on work such as roads and mass transit in Toronto even after Standard & Poor dropped its credit grade this month to the lowest level ever. Yield spreads on some of the province’s debt reached the widest since January after the ratings move. The Liberals tripled the debt since coming to power in 2003 all while piling up the debt for their green energy plan which has been a monumental failure at every level.

Facts:
As of now Ontario pays 11-13.5 cents per kWh for wind power.
The average price in the U.S. is 7 cents.
The average price for Ontario nuclear, water and gas is 7 cents.

Ontario is the only province/state that charges HST, delivery, and regulatory fees on electricity.
Your rates increase every May and October.

In 2007, you paid 7 cents per kWh.
In 2017, you paid 14-27 cents per kWh, depending on usage and location when those extra charges are added.
Check your hydro bill; divide the total (including GST, delivery and regulatory fees) by your usage.

Compare our rates to: 5.6 cents in Quebec and 7.3 cents in Manitoba.
Charts comparisons of electricity rates across Canada or N. America are misleading because they do not include
Ontario’s delivery and regulatory charges.
These charges need to be included to get the actual cost.
Let's keep these facts in mind come this years election. Liberals need to be ousted!!!

I would say with the BS in Toronto now lib's will be back in power and deeper we go!!!!!

I know exactly what you mean @Red Fisher. With half the population of Ontario living in the GTA it's a huge problem getting them out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks