Moose Education Required

can't miss

I've read a few hunting mag's lately, discussing calf moose harvesting, population's, lack of tag's ect.
I've never hunted moose, southern ont deer hunter only, but maybe some day?
I do understand were not talking suckling calves, and I'm sure a 1.5 yr old calf eat's better than gramp's giant rack. Asking why shoot, or alot extra tag's, for the next breeding generation, if population's are pressed?
Throw in one other, out of the box idea, from as I said before, a non-experienced moose hunter?
Could it help populations if say, every 3rd or 5th yr there was no hunt, a catch up season? Yes, you'd still get preditation, poaching, substance hunting, but more, a catch up yr?
A un-educated moose hunter
TKX

My Opinion is that the way Ontario does there Moose hunt is more about creating revenue than managing a healthy population.

Buy a Moose license and you automatically get a calf tag (in most of ontario) then you need to buy and apply 2 or more consecitive years to be able to have chance of drawing an adult tag. and allot of areas require groups of 6-14 in order to get 1 adult tag

CM a calf is considered less than a year old.....so sometimes hard too tell diffence between small cows and large calves.......even experienced hunters have diddiculty telling difference at times especially when they are moving thru a clear cut or brush

I think using similar method as how they managed deer for years would be better....buy license and get a Antlered tag and allow only so many anterless tags to help manage an increase the population.

Or look at how other provinces manage there Moose Hunting....ie Newfoundland and Quebec....both have healthy heards and produce much better hunter success.

The previous thought on moose was that calf mortality was 80 % with human and all predation combined.Moose populations have had quite a few fluctuations in my 35 yrs of hunting but the latest drop in population does coincide with the population controls of the other predators ie: you now need to purchase a licence to hunt wolves that are not endangered.Fact is humans may only be 5% of moose mortality as we hunt moose a max of 3 months while wolves are 12 month predators and bears are up to 9 months both night and daytime.This doesn't even take in other causes such as ticks and disease and harsh weather.Years ago you got a bear tag when you purchased a moose licence and another with deer and there were good numbers of game to be had.So truthfully the mnrf is trying to fix whats broken by breaking it further.To fix it you need to control all factors which is impossible.Just my two cents worth.

The previous thought on moose was that calf mortality was 80 % with human and all predation combined.Moose populations have had quite a few fluctuations in my 35 yrs of hunting but the latest drop in population does coincide with the population controls of the other predators ie: you now need to purchase a licence to hunt wolves that are not endangered.Fact is humans may only be 5% of moose mortality as we hunt moose a max of 3 months while wolves are 12 month predators and bears are up to 9 months both night and daytime.This doesn't even take in other causes such as ticks and disease and harsh weather.Years ago you got a bear tag when you purchased a moose licence and another with deer and there were good numbers of game to be had.So truthfully the mnrf is trying to fix whats broken by breaking it further.To fix it you need to control all factors which is impossible.Just my two cents worth.

Well spoken Tom- control ALL factors- 100000000 X

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks