Misner Dam

quote:
Originally posted by LadyInRed

That is not what the CO said. He said that the rule is in place to protect spawning fish that are trying to go upriver. Since the dam is impassable to fish, the rule doesn't apply. He *explicitly* stated that the rule is effective only on dams that have fish ladders. He also stated that Black Creek starts at the dam and empties in the lake and that the entire stretch is open all year for trout. No mention was made about the bait having to be 25 yards downstream.

Unbelievable! It's pretty sad when even a CO doesn't know the rules. No wonder things are so messed up out there!
If you don't believe what I scanned and copied then go get a copy. They're free. So get a hundred copies. They all say the same thing
22.9 metres (75') downstream.
You won't even have to look for it. I'll give you the page number.
Page 8.

End of story!

well,i personally seen fines handed out 2 years ago at miseners...and wilkes every year,even in the dead of summer when all spawning is complete.i was informed to what drop shot is trying to point out when i called and spoke to a c.o...22.9 meters/75 ft from a dam passable or not is classified as an obstacle! and then theres the moral thought about this entire argument..those fish are corralled into a tiny area,like shooting fish in a barrel!! i hope anyone chancing this has a few extra bucks in their pocket saved up for a fine or legal fees fighting such fines.

ONCE AGAIN I AGREE WITH DROPSHOT AND RIVERRUNNER. I GOT TO SAY THAT IS PRETTY SAD. SHAME ON THE MINISTRY. POACHING IS POACHING AND THAT IS WHAT IT IS. READ IT, ITS ON PG.8 AS POINTED OUT. THAT LITTLE COZY SPOT BELOW MISNERS MAKES YOU A POACHER. CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH DON'T DISRESPECT THEM BY CATCHING THEM!!!!

I guess we all have our pet peeves.
New to the area for rainbow fishing I know of very few spots.
I walk by the dam almost every day , stop and chat,and it looks to me like the area at Misener's dam is usually fished at least 75' below the dam ,as many cast well downstream. They seem to be decent people.
A far cry from some "anglers" up at Meaford where with the clear water and glasses you can see the fish and some drift bare treble hooks.It can also be bad at the credit or bronte.
I know that because someone does worse things ,that does not condone what others do;but ,the issue at Misener's is a lot less disgusting than those at other places. The pictures posted re Youngs creek for example.
I also do not see the people right at the dam at Caledonia catching more fish than those down in the runs,I would suggest less actually. I know that that does still not make it right.
I think the repeated idiom of shooting fish in a barrel is overstatement.

:Dright on angler ive bin to misners and monitered it :( and most of the ageded anglers dont go over board just an easy spot to relax [}:)][}:)]8Das some say go to toronto and witness the slaughter8[:eek:)]

Granted things arent bad or nearly as bad at Miseners.Sure it is a calm,cool place to relax with easy access for the older guys.But with out trying to sound rude or offend the older fellows.Just because they cant make the hikes along the river banks anymore,that doesnt give anyone an exemption from the laws.I know my day will come and I wont be able do it either but laws are laws.Ive been down there and chatted with some guys and they are really nice.some do stay clear of the 75ft and have nothing but respect for the laws and fishery.Others dont and like previously stated,I personally watched fines handed out for fishing in tight to the dam.
I know some guys pitch there offerings into the dam and let it drift down river,some guys pitch it at the dam with enough weight to let it sit there.
In my opinion,while all those fish are corralled into that tiny area at Miseners or any similar small river system or a fish ladder,it is like shooting fish in a barrel.They are there to eat and continue there journey.Blocked or not,its an OBSTACLE,Subject to that law.The point of this debate is that it is wrong within that 22.9 meters/75ft to do so..As for Caledonia,Dunnville,Wilkes or any other dam along any stretch of river,it happens more often then not.Sure it is far worse of a problem with the basics of this debate (or snagging) at other places but again,does that mean its ok,till it happens here?? NO.Like someone else said,those fish all travel along that pier,its just as possible to catch them coming in,with out these corralling or obstacle grey area debates.Every year its the same thing and the same arguments but guys the bottom line is that we are required to follow the rules,regulations and laws as stated..Moral issues and values differ from angler to angler and some take advantage of "grey area" fishing and some dont.But when its all said and done,whats stated in the regs for us to follow,is what we are required to do.

Tricky....these people that fish at Misner's Dam are anything BUT poachers..they're as said earlier...elderly folks looking for something to make them feel like they've accomplished something,I doubt they even keep the fish they catch...as for LadyIn Red...I've had the priviledge of meeting her...shes trying to learn how to fish,there are a lot of folks that will stand behind her and vouch that she has abolutely no intention of poaching...shes not a meat fisherman..she does it for sport and alot of us are helping her be all the fisherman/woman she can be....Misner's just happens to be close to where she lives...given the chance she'll tell you she'd prefer casting a line on a steelie river right beside you,while asking you questions about fishing.
She phoned the MNR ...asked a question...got a CO's reply...now that reply is THAT CO's take on the Misner Dam "obsticle" as far as I'm concerned she's right....soooo when are they serving the CROW up ????? lol

Problem with asking a CO is that, if you asked 6 different CO's, youd get 6 different answers...

005.jpg

POACHER IS A POACHER,PG 8! NEVER SAID A POACHER COULDN'T BE NICE. ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING? TRY CATHING RAINBOW OF PIER LEGAL. I WONDER IF I OR ANYONE ELSE COULD USE ELDERLY OR DISABLED EXCUSE, OH I DON'T KNOW MAYBE BELOW DENY'S ABOVE ABONTMENTS ON JAN.2? LOL!!! READ YOUR REGULATIONS. I JUST READ THEM I DIDN'T WRITE THEM. SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE. BUT I GUESS THE TRUTH HURTS.

quote:
Originally posted by TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT

POACHER IS A POACHER,PG 8! NEVER SAID A POACHER COULDN'T BE NICE. ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING? TRY CATHING RAINBOW OF PIER LEGAL. I WONDER IF I OR ANYONE ELSE COULD USE ELDERLY OR DISABLED EXCUSE, OH I DON'T KNOW MAYBE BELOW DENY'S ABOVE ABONTMENTS ON JAN.2? LOL!!! READ YOUR REGULATIONS. I JUST READ THEM I DIDN'T WRITE THEM. SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE. BUT I GUESS THE TRUTH HURTS.

All I got to say is WOW!! This thread belongs on the Ridulist.

LadyInRed, you are not a POACHER! Got any valium you could give some of these foaming at the mouth guys?

If the CO says OK, maybe he is right, maybe he is not. Err on the side of caution, and stay 75 feet. It is clear from here to not run the risk of an ambiguous ruling.

For some of you guys, holy cow. Nice work on helping a young person get into this sport, and guiding them. Nicely done...FACK!

:Dright on casey ive seen some of these boys at vitoria dam hehehehehhehe not a word there is there good job red;);)

you might as well post what was posted on another forum....

Thank you for your enquiry.

The reference on page 9 of the Summary comes from a provision of the
Fisheries Act (section 27) which gives protection to fish as they
encounter any obstacle to their movement upstream. The term obstacle
should be given its ordinary interpretation; it could be natural such as a waterfalls or man made such as a dam. The more important consideration is whether or not the fish below the obstacle is obstructed by the waterfalls or dam (does it have any ability or likelihood of getting over) or is the fish in the area because it simply provides food, cover or spawning habitat for the fish.

If there is little or no likelihood of the fish moving past the obstacle (a bass or pike at any kind of leap for example) then in intent of section 27 is not harmed; on the other hand if the fish is a pacific salmon and the dam is low then fishing for salmon during the fall spawning run (within 75 yards downstream of the obstacle) would be prohibited.

So, when thinking about this restriction the angler needs to consider
both the type of fish and the time of year.

I've attached a link to the Fisheries Act so that section 27 can be read
in context:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/ en/f-14/240479.html

Hope this helps.

nric-web reader-kc
Natural Resources Information Centre
300 Water St.
Peterborough, ON
K9J 8M5
1-800-667-1940
fax: (705)755-1677
mnr.nric.mnr@ontario.ca
http://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca

if you compare what he was saying to what i've highlighted below, it appears that he's got it right. "lower entrance" refers to a place where the fish can enter the fishway to swim upstream. how can a fish enter something if it can't jump high enough to enter?

also, if you look at section 27 they're talking specifically about fishways and dams that are indeed passable by fish.

Fish-ways and canals

27. No one shall

(a) damage or obstruct any fish-way or canal built, constructed or used to enable fish to pass over or around any obstruction;
b) do anything to stop, impede or hinder fish from entering or passing the fish-way or canal or to stop, impede or hinder fish from surmounting any obstacle or leap; or
(c) fish in any manner within twenty-five yards downstream from the lower entrance to any fish-way, canal, obstacle or leap.

after reading the fisheries act, i'd assume you're 100% legal to fish a dam that is impassable by fish and the act is forbidding fishing within 25m of any obstacle that allows fish to pass.

remember, the regs are simply a much simpler version of the fisheries act hence the name "fishing regulations summary"

that said, i'm staying away from every dam to avoid any potential headaches from confused folks, including CO's :D:D:p

I think we can put this to rest now....no????

It might be a good idea to print this out,just so as we all know.:p

quote:
Originally posted by Thumperrr

I think we can put this to rest now....no????

Excellent idea Thumperrr !!!! Seems that a few of these boys are suffering from cabin fever and it's only mid December.....

Wojo

quote:
Originally posted by ch312reading the fisheries act, i'd assume you're 100% legal to fish a dam that is impassable by fish and the act is forbidding fishing within 25m of any obstacle that allows fish to pass.

Everything you said has already been said by simply viewing the "Summary".
Each and every year they are available at most any retail outlet selling fishing tackle. FREE!
CTC, Wal Mart, your neighborhood tackle shop etc.,etc.
Everything you said is true up until the last five words of your above edited quote. "that allows fish to pass".
That has since been updated in the "Summary" to include all obstacles. Should have asked when the Fisheries act was last updated.Sad that one contradicts the other.The "Summary" was updated to include the likes of Misners and others, as well as natural obstacles like Sauble Falls and any other natural obstacle.
OBSTACLE
A simple definition is:
"something that impedes progress or achievement".
IMPEDES
A simple definition of impedes is:
to interfere with or slow progress.

It is not good enough to just stand 22.9 metres(75 feet) downstream.
Your lure or bait must be 75' downstream.
I know because I seen many charged for casting above the wires on both the Saugeen and Sauble Rivers. There are cables (wires) stretched across these rivers marking the restricted area.
Some here will probably now argue that they (Sauble & Saugeen) are in a different Zone.
Look at the top of the page. General Fishing Regulations meaning all of Ontario.

Bottom line. Yes it is legal to fish Misners. Already stated!
However, about the third post in someone questioned the legality because they appeared so close to the dam. Camera angle can be deceiving. However, anytime I've passed by I've seen fishermen standing with the 75' zone, casting to the dam.
It's a no no.
To he who remarked about a poor young kid that was just trying to learn (LadyInRed) gettin' beat up. If you go back you can clearly see that I first appologized to he/she before I said he/she was wrong!
Better to learn here than find out the hard way! Last I heard it was $184 fine. That was the fall of 2010 when I talked to a guy that got dinged at the Caledonia Dam. The cost goes up every year.

Dropshot...at the beginning you said....ok they can fish the Misner Dam...and then you go right back to this 75 ft thing...make up your mind which way your flopping...the way I read it,is the CO said that because the fish can NOT travel any farther up stream ...the 75 ft. rule does NOT apply...read it again for the FIRST time.lol

Oh as for Lady In Red getting beat up...I didn't see that...she was accused of poaching...that's what I took exception to...I'm not sure what you're smoking ...but order me a pound of it please. Hehehehe

quote:
Originally posted by Thumperrr

Dropshot...at the beginning you said....ok they can fish the Misner Dam...and then you go right back to this 75 ft thing...make up your mind which way your flopping...the way I read it,is the CO said that because the fish can NOT travel any farther up stream ...the 75 ft. rule does NOT apply...read it again for the FIRST time.lol

Oh as for Lady In Red getting beat up...I didn't see that...she was accused of poaching...that's what I took exception to...I'm not sure what you're smoking ...but order me a pound of it please. Hehehehe

Not gonna order you a pound of anything. Seems you've had too much already. Leave the stuff alone for a a few days and then go back and re-read.
In the second post it was suggested that it appeared the people were fishing illegaly because they are too close to the dam.
Ladyinred said it was ok because the dam doesn't assist fish. I said it wasn't ok if they were too close.
I went on to say that they were all legal to fish as long as your bait is 22.9 meters or 75 feet downstream of the obstruction.
From the very beginning I have maintained that it was legal. So where is the FLOPPING?????????

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks