1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misner Dam

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Honey Bea, Jan 9, 2011.

  1. Honey Bea

    Honey Bea New Member

    The caption below the picture in the Pt. Dover Maple Leaf of two men fishing at the base Misner Dam says that fishermen are there almost every day. There are fishermen there because there are fish there and there are fish there because they are trying to get up the Lynn River so they can spawn.However,the dam blocks their migration .If they can't find cool oxygenated water their eggs will be resorbed back into the protein pool of their body. Support the decommissioning of Misner Dam.
     
  2. duckduckgoose

    duckduckgoose Active Member

    Ever noticed that those fishermen are also fishing illegally "almost everyday"? lol
     
  3. binkley

    binkley Well-Known Member

    goose: how do you think that they are fishing illegally is it trespassing? you can legally fish tho the dam of misners all year unless the regs have changed. and as for trespassing I do belive the county ownes 66' of road allowence and I do not see the bylaw enforcment there any time I drive by. Only wondering how it is illegal.


    keepen'er afloat is always better than sinkin.
     
  4. duckduckgoose

    duckduckgoose Active Member

    In the images/clips that I've seen, the people always seem to be pretty close to the dam...From the Fisheries Act:
    27. No one shall
    (a) damage or obstruct any fish-way or canal built, constructed or used to enable fish to pass over or around any obstruction;
    (b) do anything to stop, impede or hinder fish from entering or passing the fish-way or canal or to stop, impede or hinder fish from surmounting any obstacle or leap; or
    (c) fish in any manner within twenty-five yards downstream from the lower entrance to any fish-way, canal, obstacle or leap.
     
  5. binkley

    binkley Well-Known Member

    well it depends where you fish there most of the people that I see fish there are indeed fiahing 25+ yards from the aactual bottom of the flow way becouse they are out in front of the boat housed or the piece of cement in the middle. I was just askin not trying to cause trouble. I havn't fished there for a number of years. but the regs used to state that from the mouth of lake erie to the dam at misners via the black creek the season for trout was open all year, thas all.
    I am asuming that trout is what you are talking about isn't it?


    keepen'er afloat is always better than sinkin.
     
  6. duckduckgoose

    duckduckgoose Active Member

    Just going by the clips that I've seen in recent months. The people (pictured) seemed to be casting right at the mouth of the dam (which is obviously too close according to the regs).
     
  7. binkley

    binkley Well-Known Member

    like I said I havn't fished there in recent years but when the wife and I go for coffee we generally see people fishing there and they are either floating down stream or bottom bouncing around the boat houses. by the time the ice is out for the boat to go in there the only thing I have ever seemed to cstch were rock bass and the odd crappie.

    keepen'er afloat is always better than sinkin.
     
  8. LadyInRed

    LadyInRed Well-Known Member

    Its not illegal to fish Misners dam since the dam is not intended to assist fish around the obstruction...ie a fish ladder. I am new to steelheading and have been fishing the dam a few times a week. I haven't caught anything yet, but have seen other people hook into beautiful fish there. I just need to keep trying and learning :D
     
  9. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by LadyInRed

    Its not illegal to fish Misners dam since the dam is not intended to assist fish around the obstruction...ie a fish ladder. I am new to steelheading and have been fishing the dam a few times a week. I haven't caught anything yet, but have seen other people hook into beautiful fish there. I just need to keep trying and learning :D


    Sorry to say it Lady In Red but you are wrong.
    This is scanned from the 2011 Fishing Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary. You're right Misner dam does not assist fish but it is in fact, an obstruction. Check the punctuation.
    Page 8 General Fishing Regulations.
    [​IMG]
    This means your bait or lure must not be within 22.9 meters (75ft) of the base of the dam (obstruction). Anytime I've passed by, fishermen are standing within the 75' restriction and then casting to the dam.
     
  10. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    This is a little easier on the eyes:

    [​IMG]
     
  11. TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT

    TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT New Member

    I AGREE WITH duckduckgoose
    COMPLETELY. CALADONIA TOO! MINISTRY HAS BEEN CALLED ABOUT BOTH.

    IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH DON'T DISRESPECT THEM BY CATCHING THEM!!!!
     
  12. JustForUs

    JustForUs Well-Known Member

    Maybe some of the Anglers at the Caledonia Dam should read up also...They all fish within the 75ft and certainly with th fish ladder area as well. Dunville is the same...
     
  13. quinner01

    quinner01 Well-Known Member

    Dropshot says it best...

    Although when I asked a CO about this issue, they said they only will enforce it, if its posted with signs.

    [​IMG]
     
  14. fisherman

    fisherman Well-Known Member

    8D8D`thats a good answer ty [}:)] peeps have fished there for years nice to leave em alone as they r older and cant tromp the streams also the bows only come to the dam thjen they run black creek and they spawn in the SPRING[?][?][?][:(!]8[:X]
     
  15. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by JustForUs

    Maybe some of the Anglers at the Caledonia Dam should read up also...They all fish within the 75ft and certainly with th fish ladder area as well. Dunville is the same...



    I've seen people ticketed at both the Caledonia and Dunnville dams.
    A double standard though. If you treat them with respect you simply get a warning. If you make a fuss you get a ticket and an invite to "tell it to the judge"!
    I believe everyone should have to pass a test before being granted a fishing license. At least then they would be forced to read and understand the fishing regulations. Sadly it would probably just turn into another cash grab like the Pleasure Craft Operators Card.
     
  16. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by fisherman

    8D8D`thats a good answer ty [}:)] peeps have fished there for years nice to leave em alone as they r older and cant tromp the streams also the bows only come to the dam thjen they run black creek and they spawn in the SPRING[?][?][?][:(!]8[:X]


    They could more easily fish the Port Dover pier. Legally! Everything that ends up at the dam has to swim through there. They'd even have a shot at the ones that don't make the wrong turn and head straight up Black Creek.
    The fish at the dam are there waiting for conditions to change in the hope that they can continue their upstream migration. In the meantime they have to eat. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
    Fishermen are there because it's easy pickens. Just like Dunnville and Caledonia.
    The Ministry knows fish stackup at these locations. They know too that it makes for an unfair advantage. That's why it's regulated.
     
  17. riverrunner

    riverrunner Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT

    I AGREE WITH duckduckgoose
    COMPLETELY. CALADONIA TOO! MINISTRY HAS BEEN CALLED ABOUT BOTH.

    IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH DON'T DISRESPECT THEM BY CATCHING THEM!!!!



    totally agreed!! and as for the misners dam,fish ladder or not.its classified under the same law,its a man made structure/obstacle or corralling area and has been under the same law since that law was passed (as drop shot scanned and pointed out).i catfish in the area every spring and personally watched a c.o. 2 years ago fine 2 guys for just that at miseners..same thing happens at wilkes in branford,year after year..it doesnt have a fish ladder either but is a man made obstacle and is subject to the same law...the only grey area with that dam,is its horse shoe shape but again,growing up in the area have watched countless fines handed out at wilkes over the years...as someone else said,there should be some kind of online or written test for your fishing licence and maybe even require a passport photo to be sent in as well,seeing that its not hard for someone to use someone elses card or file under a fake name if they are suspended..
     
  18. LadyInRed

    LadyInRed Well-Known Member

    I called the MNR office in Aylmer and spoke to a CO there and he informed that because Misner's is impassable to fish, it is perfectly legal to fish there. The rule only applies to structures with fish ladders or dams that fish are able to pass through.

    The phone number for this CO is 519-773-4711 if anyone wants clarification.

    Girl Gone Wild
     
  19. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by LadyInRed

    I called the MNR office in Aylmer and spoke to a CO there and he informed that because Misner's is impassable to fish, it is perfectly legal to fish there. The rule only applies to structures with fish ladders or dams that fish are able to pass through.

    The phone number for this CO is 519-773-4711 if anyone wants clarification.

    Girl Gone Wild



    They are all legal to fish! As long as your bait is 25 meters downstream of the base of the dam, fishway, obstruction, leap, etc.
    Sauble Falls isn't even a man made structure and it's posted with a wire.
    Not far from Port Dover, culverts on a small tributary are posted. Some even have a cable accross marking the restricted area.
     
  20. LadyInRed

    LadyInRed Well-Known Member

    That is not what the CO said. He said that the rule is in place to protect spawning fish that are trying to go upriver. Since the dam is impassable to fish, the rule doesn't apply. He *explicitly* stated that the rule is effective only on dams that have fish ladders. He also stated that Black Creek starts at the dam and empties in the lake and that the entire stretch is open all year for trout. No mention was made about the bait having to be 25 yards downstream.
     
  21. fisherman

    fisherman Well-Known Member

    :Dred is so correct nice job :( end of topic right88
     
  22. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by LadyInRed

    That is not what the CO said. He said that the rule is in place to protect spawning fish that are trying to go upriver. Since the dam is impassable to fish, the rule doesn't apply. He *explicitly* stated that the rule is effective only on dams that have fish ladders. He also stated that Black Creek starts at the dam and empties in the lake and that the entire stretch is open all year for trout. No mention was made about the bait having to be 25 yards downstream.



    Unbelievable! It's pretty sad when even a CO doesn't know the rules. No wonder things are so messed up out there!
    If you don't believe what I scanned and copied then go get a copy. They're free. So get a hundred copies. They all say the same thing
    22.9 metres (75') downstream.
    You won't even have to look for it. I'll give you the page number.
    Page 8.

    End of story!
     
  23. riverrunner

    riverrunner Member

    well,i personally seen fines handed out 2 years ago at miseners...and wilkes every year,even in the dead of summer when all spawning is complete.i was informed to what drop shot is trying to point out when i called and spoke to a c.o...22.9 meters/75 ft from a dam passable or not is classified as an obstacle! and then theres the moral thought about this entire argument..those fish are corralled into a tiny area,like shooting fish in a barrel!! i hope anyone chancing this has a few extra bucks in their pocket saved up for a fine or legal fees fighting such fines.
     
  24. TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT

    TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT New Member

    ONCE AGAIN I AGREE WITH DROPSHOT AND RIVERRUNNER. I GOT TO SAY THAT IS PRETTY SAD. SHAME ON THE MINISTRY. POACHING IS POACHING AND THAT IS WHAT IT IS. READ IT, ITS ON PG.8 AS POINTED OUT. THAT LITTLE COZY SPOT BELOW MISNERS MAKES YOU A POACHER. CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!

    IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH DON'T DISRESPECT THEM BY CATCHING THEM!!!!
     
  25. angler

    angler Well-Known Member

    I guess we all have our pet peeves.
    New to the area for rainbow fishing I know of very few spots.
    I walk by the dam almost every day , stop and chat,and it looks to me like the area at Misener's dam is usually fished at least 75' below the dam ,as many cast well downstream. They seem to be decent people.
    A far cry from some "anglers" up at Meaford where with the clear water and glasses you can see the fish and some drift bare treble hooks.It can also be bad at the credit or bronte.
    I know that because someone does worse things ,that does not condone what others do;but ,the issue at Misener's is a lot less disgusting than those at other places. The pictures posted re Youngs creek for example.
    I also do not see the people right at the dam at Caledonia catching more fish than those down in the runs,I would suggest less actually. I know that that does still not make it right.
    I think the repeated idiom of shooting fish in a barrel is overstatement.
     
  26. fisherman

    fisherman Well-Known Member

    :Dright on angler ive bin to misners and monitered it :( and most of the ageded anglers dont go over board just an easy spot to relax [}:)][}:)]8Das some say go to toronto and witness the slaughter8[:eek:)]
     
  27. riverrunner

    riverrunner Member

    Granted things arent bad or nearly as bad at Miseners.Sure it is a calm,cool place to relax with easy access for the older guys.But with out trying to sound rude or offend the older fellows.Just because they cant make the hikes along the river banks anymore,that doesnt give anyone an exemption from the laws.I know my day will come and I wont be able do it either but laws are laws.Ive been down there and chatted with some guys and they are really nice.some do stay clear of the 75ft and have nothing but respect for the laws and fishery.Others dont and like previously stated,I personally watched fines handed out for fishing in tight to the dam.
    I know some guys pitch there offerings into the dam and let it drift down river,some guys pitch it at the dam with enough weight to let it sit there.
    In my opinion,while all those fish are corralled into that tiny area at Miseners or any similar small river system or a fish ladder,it is like shooting fish in a barrel.They are there to eat and continue there journey.Blocked or not,its an OBSTACLE,Subject to that law.The point of this debate is that it is wrong within that 22.9 meters/75ft to do so..As for Caledonia,Dunnville,Wilkes or any other dam along any stretch of river,it happens more often then not.Sure it is far worse of a problem with the basics of this debate (or snagging) at other places but again,does that mean its ok,till it happens here?? NO.Like someone else said,those fish all travel along that pier,its just as possible to catch them coming in,with out these corralling or obstacle grey area debates.Every year its the same thing and the same arguments but guys the bottom line is that we are required to follow the rules,regulations and laws as stated..Moral issues and values differ from angler to angler and some take advantage of "grey area" fishing and some dont.But when its all said and done,whats stated in the regs for us to follow,is what we are required to do.
     
  28. Thumperrr

    Thumperrr Well-Known Member

    Tricky....these people that fish at Misner's Dam are anything BUT poachers..they're as said earlier...elderly folks looking for something to make them feel like they've accomplished something,I doubt they even keep the fish they catch...as for LadyIn Red...I've had the priviledge of meeting her...shes trying to learn how to fish,there are a lot of folks that will stand behind her and vouch that she has abolutely no intention of poaching...shes not a meat fisherman..she does it for sport and alot of us are helping her be all the fisherman/woman she can be....Misner's just happens to be close to where she lives...given the chance she'll tell you she'd prefer casting a line on a steelie river right beside you,while asking you questions about fishing.
    She phoned the MNR ...asked a question...got a CO's reply...now that reply is THAT CO's take on the Misner Dam "obsticle" as far as I'm concerned she's right....soooo when are they serving the CROW up ????? lol
     
  29. quinner01

    quinner01 Well-Known Member

    Problem with asking a CO is that, if you asked 6 different CO's, youd get 6 different answers...

    [​IMG]
     
  30. TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT

    TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT New Member

    POACHER IS A POACHER,PG 8! NEVER SAID A POACHER COULDN'T BE NICE. ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING? TRY CATHING RAINBOW OF PIER LEGAL. I WONDER IF I OR ANYONE ELSE COULD USE ELDERLY OR DISABLED EXCUSE, OH I DON'T KNOW MAYBE BELOW DENY'S ABOVE ABONTMENTS ON JAN.2? LOL!!! READ YOUR REGULATIONS. I JUST READ THEM I DIDN'T WRITE THEM. SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE. BUT I GUESS THE TRUTH HURTS.

    IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH DON'T DISRESPECT THEM BY CATCHING THEM!!!!
     
  31. Caseys Dream

    Caseys Dream Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT

    POACHER IS A POACHER,PG 8! NEVER SAID A POACHER COULDN'T BE NICE. ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING? TRY CATHING RAINBOW OF PIER LEGAL. I WONDER IF I OR ANYONE ELSE COULD USE ELDERLY OR DISABLED EXCUSE, OH I DON'T KNOW MAYBE BELOW DENY'S ABOVE ABONTMENTS ON JAN.2? LOL!!! READ YOUR REGULATIONS. I JUST READ THEM I DIDN'T WRITE THEM. SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE. BUT I GUESS THE TRUTH HURTS.

    IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH DON'T DISRESPECT THEM BY CATCHING THEM!!!!



    All I got to say is WOW!! This thread belongs on the Ridulist.

    LadyInRed, you are not a POACHER! Got any valium you could give some of these foaming at the mouth guys?

    If the CO says OK, maybe he is right, maybe he is not. Err on the side of caution, and stay 75 feet. It is clear from here to not run the risk of an ambiguous ruling.

    For some of you guys, holy cow. Nice work on helping a young person get into this sport, and guiding them. Nicely done...FACK!
     
  32. fisherman

    fisherman Well-Known Member

    :Dright on casey ive seen some of these boys at vitoria dam hehehehehhehe not a word there is there good job red;);)
     
  33. TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT

    TRICKYRAINBOWTROUT New Member

    HEHEHEHEHE! VICTORIA DAM SAME THING! PG8!

    IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH DON'T DISRESPECT THEM BY CATCHING THEM!!!!
     
  34. ch312

    ch312 Well-Known Member

    you might as well post what was posted on another forum....

    Thank you for your enquiry.

    The reference on page 9 of the Summary comes from a provision of the
    Fisheries Act (section 27) which gives protection to fish as they
    encounter any obstacle to their movement upstream. The term obstacle
    should be given its ordinary interpretation; it could be natural such as a waterfalls or man made such as a dam. The more important consideration is whether or not the fish below the obstacle is obstructed by the waterfalls or dam (does it have any ability or likelihood of getting over) or is the fish in the area because it simply provides food, cover or spawning habitat for the fish.

    If there is little or no likelihood of the fish moving past the obstacle (a bass or pike at any kind of leap for example) then in intent of section 27 is not harmed; on the other hand if the fish is a pacific salmon and the dam is low then fishing for salmon during the fall spawning run (within 75 yards downstream of the obstacle) would be prohibited.

    So, when thinking about this restriction the angler needs to consider
    both the type of fish and the time of year.

    I've attached a link to the Fisheries Act so that section 27 can be read
    in context:
    http://laws.justice.gc.ca/ en/f-14/240479.html

    Hope this helps.

    nric-web reader-kc
    **************************************
    Natural Resources Information Centre
    300 Water St.
    Peterborough, ON
    K9J 8M5
    1-800-667-1940
    fax: (705)755-1677
    [email protected]
    http://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca


    if you compare what he was saying to what i've highlighted below, it appears that he's got it right. "lower entrance" refers to a place where the fish can enter the fishway to swim upstream. how can a fish enter something if it can't jump high enough to enter?

    also, if you look at section 27 they're talking specifically about fishways and dams that are indeed passable by fish.


    Fish-ways and canals

    27. No one shall

    (a) damage or obstruct any fish-way or canal built, constructed or used to enable fish to pass over or around any obstruction;
    b) do anything to stop, impede or hinder fish from entering or passing the fish-way or canal or to stop, impede or hinder fish from surmounting any obstacle or leap; or
    (c) fish in any manner within twenty-five yards downstream from the lower entrance to any fish-way, canal, obstacle or leap.





    after reading the fisheries act, i'd assume you're 100% legal to fish a dam that is impassable by fish and the act is forbidding fishing within 25m of any obstacle that allows fish to pass.

    remember, the regs are simply a much simpler version of the fisheries act hence the name "fishing regulations summary"





    that said, i'm staying away from every dam to avoid any potential headaches from confused folks, including CO's :D:D:p
     
  35. Thumperrr

    Thumperrr Well-Known Member

    I think we can put this to rest now....no????

    It might be a good idea to print this out,just so as we all know.:p
     
  36. wojo

    wojo Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by Thumperrr

    I think we can put this to rest now....no????



    Excellent idea Thumperrr !!!! Seems that a few of these boys are suffering from cabin fever and it's only mid December.....

    Wojo
     
  37. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by ch312reading the fisheries act, i'd assume you're 100% legal to fish a dam that is impassable by fish and the act is forbidding fishing within 25m of any obstacle that allows fish to pass.





    Everything you said has already been said by simply viewing the "Summary".
    Each and every year they are available at most any retail outlet selling fishing tackle. FREE!
    CTC, Wal Mart, your neighborhood tackle shop etc.,etc.
    Everything you said is true up until the last five words of your above edited quote. "that allows fish to pass".
    That has since been updated in the "Summary" to include all obstacles. Should have asked when the Fisheries act was last updated.Sad that one contradicts the other.The "Summary" was updated to include the likes of Misners and others, as well as natural obstacles like Sauble Falls and any other natural obstacle.
    OBSTACLE
    A simple definition is:
    "something that impedes progress or achievement".
    IMPEDES
    A simple definition of impedes is:
    to interfere with or slow progress.

    It is not good enough to just stand 22.9 metres(75 feet) downstream.
    Your lure or bait must be 75' downstream.
    I know because I seen many charged for casting above the wires on both the Saugeen and Sauble Rivers. There are cables (wires) stretched across these rivers marking the restricted area.
    Some here will probably now argue that they (Sauble & Saugeen) are in a different Zone.
    Look at the top of the page. General Fishing Regulations meaning all of Ontario.

    Bottom line. Yes it is legal to fish Misners. Already stated!
    However, about the third post in someone questioned the legality because they appeared so close to the dam. Camera angle can be deceiving. However, anytime I've passed by I've seen fishermen standing with the 75' zone, casting to the dam.
    It's a no no.
    To he who remarked about a poor young kid that was just trying to learn (LadyInRed) gettin' beat up. If you go back you can clearly see that I first appologized to he/she before I said he/she was wrong!
    Better to learn here than find out the hard way! Last I heard it was $184 fine. That was the fall of 2010 when I talked to a guy that got dinged at the Caledonia Dam. The cost goes up every year.
     
  38. Thumperrr

    Thumperrr Well-Known Member

    Dropshot...at the beginning you said....ok they can fish the Misner Dam...and then you go right back to this 75 ft thing...make up your mind which way your flopping...the way I read it,is the CO said that because the fish can NOT travel any farther up stream ...the 75 ft. rule does NOT apply...read it again for the FIRST time.lol

    Oh as for Lady In Red getting beat up...I didn't see that...she was accused of poaching...that's what I took exception to...I'm not sure what you're smoking ...but order me a pound of it please. Hehehehe
     
  39. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by Thumperrr

    Dropshot...at the beginning you said....ok they can fish the Misner Dam...and then you go right back to this 75 ft thing...make up your mind which way your flopping...the way I read it,is the CO said that because the fish can NOT travel any farther up stream ...the 75 ft. rule does NOT apply...read it again for the FIRST time.lol

    Oh as for Lady In Red getting beat up...I didn't see that...she was accused of poaching...that's what I took exception to...I'm not sure what you're smoking ...but order me a pound of it please. Hehehehe



    Not gonna order you a pound of anything. Seems you've had too much already. Leave the stuff alone for a a few days and then go back and re-read.
    In the second post it was suggested that it appeared the people were fishing illegaly because they are too close to the dam.
    Ladyinred said it was ok because the dam doesn't assist fish. I said it wasn't ok if they were too close.
    I went on to say that they were all legal to fish as long as your bait is 22.9 meters or 75 feet downstream of the obstruction.
    From the very beginning I have maintained that it was legal. So where is the FLOPPING?????????
     
  40. quinner01

    quinner01 Well-Known Member

    Dont give in Dropshot. You are backed by the regs, and quite clearly.

    [​IMG]
     
  41. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by quinner01

    Dont give in Dropshot. You are backed by the regs, and quite clearly.



    Hey quinner I wouldn't even consider giving in. Thanks for the support.
    I caught my first steelhead on the Saugeen in 1969. Been chasing them ever since. Love the sport. Nothing but respect for the fish. For the most part I practice catch and release. I'll keep the odd male for a buddy of mine or if it's bleeding and looks like it won't make it.
    I make a point of checking each new edition of the regs for any changes. They need to be condensed. In New York State the same rules apply state wide. No Zones. No "you can do this here but don't do it over there". Two here. One there. Five out there. It's ridiculous. No wonder there is so much confusion.
    Bottom line is if you want to play the game, learn the rules.
     
  42. ch312

    ch312 Well-Known Member

    dropshot, the reason for my post was in response to the email ladyinred posted on another forum. the CO stated its ok to fish close to a dam if its impassable by fish, and i thought it was confirmed by the fisheries act talking specifically about a lower entrance. you'd think the act would be up to date and crystal clear.

    either way, i was taught about the 75' thing when i was a kid. like i said in my previous post, avoiding dams all together has been the easiest solution for this guy and will gladly continue that way. unlike most people concerned about this regulation, id be more interested in catching catfish than steelies at dams seeing as i just started fishing for steel this fall and cant catch one anyways...lol.:D


    psssst...thumper. i thought you said this thread was done? :D
     
  43. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by ch312
    ijust started fishing for steel this fall and cant catch one anyways...


    Don't give up 312. Once you do you'll be hooked just like the rest of us. Standing in waist deep freezing cold water, snow blowin' up your nose. You'll love it.

    quinner01 hit the nail on the head.

    quote:
    Originally posted by quinner01

    Problem with asking a CO is that, if you asked 6 different CO's, youd get 6 different answers...




    Many changes in the regulations have occurred over the past two decades. Most in an attempt to plug loopholes. For example: Salmon was open all year. Guys would deliberately fish for steelhead outside the season and claim they were fishing for salmon. As the popularity grew so did the excuses.
    The biggest problem today is guys saying that float rods can be used for other species. Coarse fish like carp, crappie and catfish. This so they can be there year round. Not sure how they'll plug that loophole but its pretty obvious that they're not fishing for anything other than steelhead. Same bait. Same runs. But "really officer I'm fishing for carp". I confronted a couple of guys at the Caledonia Dam one February a few years back (season closed Dec. 31 til last Saturday in April) Fifteen foot float rods. Roe bags still on their hooks attached to their hook keepers. Asked them what they were fishing for. "Crappie". License number, date, time and description were passed on to the MNR. Not sure of the outcome.

    I remember when the "Summary" did not include the word obstacle. Instead it quoted the Fisheries Act. Three years were spent updating the Summary. 2005 to 2008 I believe. Perhaps it's time the Fisheries Act was reviewed and corrected to correspond with the Summary. The Summary is what's readily available. Thank goodness too because if I had to rely on my comprehension of the Fisheries Act I'd be in trouble. For the most part you have to be a Philadelphia Lawyer to understand it. Secondly, it doesn't take me very long to become frustrated with the legal terminology. I'd simply give up trying to comprehend it.
    Not sure why anyone thought I was on the attack. The only reason I became involved was to try and sort out the confusion.

    Merry Christmas and good fishin'.
    Rick aka dropshot.
     
  44. quinner01

    quinner01 Well-Known Member

    Yeah the whole "Im fishing for suckers" excuse while using a float reel and a 13 ft rod is a joke. One way around it is to have sanctuaries in place ie. Big Creek from the dam down to Lyndoch ( a sanctuary from January 1 to the 4th Saturday in April)

    Anyone caught fishing for any species during that time would be fined as its a sanctuary and no species can be targeted. Working on that for the Otter, as it gets beaten to death in the spring.

    As for New Yorks regulations, I think its only possible that way due to the heavy stocking of hundreds of thousands of steelhead every year. Id sooner have a wild natural fishery any day though.

    [​IMG]
     
  45. ch312

    ch312 Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by dropshot

    Don't give up 312. Once you do you'll be hooked just like the rest of us. Standing in waist deep freezing cold water, snow blowin' up your nose. You'll love it.




    i've hooked a few over the years while fishing the notty for salmon, but not i can't seem to connect at all. at this rate, i'll be in a wheelchair or scooter before i finally get one.

    4 outings and not a single hit to show for it. sad...[V]
     
  46. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by quinner01

    Yeah the whole "Im fishing for suckers" excuse while using a float reel and a 13 ft rod is a joke. One way around it is to have sanctuaries in place ie. Big Creek from the dam down to Lyndoch ( a sanctuary from January 1 to the 4th Saturday in April)

    Anyone caught fishing for any species during that time would be fined as its a sanctuary and no species can be targeted. Working on that for the Otter, as it gets beaten to death in the spring.

    As for New Yorks regulations, I think its only possible that way due to the heavy stocking of hundreds of thousands of steelhead every year. Id sooner have a wild natural fishery any day though.


    Suckers! Gotta love it! They must think that all CO's are suckers too! Would love to see a sanctuary on the Grand. Paris to the mouth. Dec. 31 to the last Sat. in April. Soon put those clowns outa business.
    I agree with you on the wild fish but frankly, until they implement barbless, strictly catch and release south of Parry Sound, the wild fish will not survive all the pressure anyway. More and more fishermen and fewer fish. Stocked, wild or otherwise. A couple of decades ago if one were to hit it right, 50 fish days were common. Now you're lucky to find an undisturbed fish in any system. Sadly too is the fact that there are so many that don't know a male from a female much less a stocked from a wild.
    Then there's the members of the KKK. The Katch, Keep and Kill society. They have to kill everything that swims anyway.

    quote:
    Originally posted by ch312



    i've hooked a few over the years while fishing the notty for salmon, but not i can't seem to connect at all. at this rate, i'll be in a wheelchair or scooter before i finally get one.

    4 outings and not a single hit to show for it. sad...[V]



    Best bet is to hook with someone here willing to show you a few tricks of the trade. Don't know where you're from but I'm from the Hamilton area. I like to fish big rivers like the Grand and Saugeen. The Sauble near the bottom end and the Big head when I'm waiting for the others settle.
    I hear ya about the wheelchair or scooter. I'll soon be 62 and it get's harder and harder each year.
     
  47. dave524

    dave524 Member

    Haven't been to Vittoria in over 10 years, but going back 30 years there used to be a wire marking the out of bounds water there 75 feet down from the dam in the vicinity of the spring fountain if it is even still there.[?]

    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
     
  48. quinner01

    quinner01 Well-Known Member

    quote:
    Originally posted by dropshot

    quote:
    Originally posted by quinner01

    Yeah the whole "Im fishing for suckers" excuse while using a float reel and a 13 ft rod is a joke. One way around it is to have sanctuaries in place ie. Big Creek from the dam down to Lyndoch ( a sanctuary from January 1 to the 4th Saturday in April)

    Anyone caught fishing for any species during that time would be fined as its a sanctuary and no species can be targeted. Working on that for the Otter, as it gets beaten to death in the spring.

    As for New Yorks regulations, I think its only possible that way due to the heavy stocking of hundreds of thousands of steelhead every year. Id sooner have a wild natural fishery any day though.


    Suckers! Gotta love it! They must think that all CO's are suckers too! Would love to see a sanctuary on the Grand. Paris to the mouth. Dec. 31 to the last Sat. in April. Soon put those clowns outa business.
    I agree with you on the wild fish but frankly, until they implement barbless, strictly catch and release south of Parry Sound, the wild fish will not survive all the pressure anyway. More and more fishermen and fewer fish. Stocked, wild or otherwise. A couple of decades ago if one were to hit it right, 50 fish days were common. Now you're lucky to find an undisturbed fish in any system. Sadly too is the fact that there are so many that don't know a male from a female much less a stocked from a wild.
    Then there's the members of the KKK. The Katch, Keep and Kill society. They have to kill everything that swims anyway.


    Very creative LOL!!!

    [​IMG]
     
  49. dropshot

    dropshot Well-Known Member

    Originally posted by quinner01
    quote:
    Originally posted by dropshot
    Then there's the members of the KKK. The Katch, Keep and Kill society. They have to kill everything that swims anyway.

    Very creative LOL!!!



    Thanks. Something I dreamed up a long time ago. Creative maybe. Fitting for sure! Gotta love the white pails filled to overflowing with virtually everything that swims. Regardless of species or season.
    Gotta love this too: "Meester you no keep fish you give me. Ok?"
     

Share This Page