LPWA - Annual Meeting Sunday April 13, 2014

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Directors will not get together until the Friday before the AGM therefore the final meeting Agenda will probably not be available until the morning of April 13th. The notice below provides the basic outline. Everyone is welcome.

Hello Guys,

Duck Soup has confirmed with me that "A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario" will be a topic for discussion (I guess within the "open discussion" section of the meeting).

Please review the contents within the "A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario" thread that I have posted within this "waterfowl" forum as I will only have about ten (10) minutes to "bring you up to speed" as to what has happened since my last presentation at our AGM in 2011.

If you are further interested in what "waterfowlers" around the Province are thinking about this Tundra Swan proposal then I would invite you to go to the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" web site and review the discussion within the "A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario" thread that I have posted there.

I have previously posted the "CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment" thread that contains the actual CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment that was conducted between 2011 and 2013.

If you missed our AGM in 2011 and wish to read the Tundra Swan presentation that I made please review the "Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario" thread as well as the "Tundra Swan Harvest Presentation" thread within this "waterfowl" forum.

Thank you for your interest and support.

Jerome

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

Enclosed below is a copy of the handout that I will be distributing at the AGM on Sunday for your consideration.

Jerome

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tundra Swan Fact Sheet 2010:

The continental Tundra Swan population of North America is divided into two (2) populations.

The Eastern Population (EP) Tundra Swan (TUSW) numbers are 100,000 or 25% above the Management Plan goal of 80,000.

The Western Population (WP) Tundra Swan (TUSW) numbers are 80,000 or 33% above the Management Plan goal of 60,000.

The EP TUSW recreational international (Canada and the United States) harvest is currently set at 4800 birds and therefore a total of 9600 permits (based upon an estimated 50% harvest rate) are issued. The actual EP TUSW harvest rate in the United States is only about 37%.

Since there is currently no recreational EP TUSW harvest in Canada all 9600 permits are available to hunters in the United States. The Americans get their 59% of the 9600 permits as well as our 41% of the 9600 permits.

The native people in Canada already have their own "subsistence" harvest for both EP TUSW and WP TUSW which is now (since 1995) year round (spring migration, summer nesting and fall migration) with no bag limits.

Furthermore ... the native people of Canada may harvest the Trumpeter Swan (TRSW) as well.

Update 2014:

The Eastern Population (EP) Tundra Swan (TUSW) numbers are remaining over 100,000 and the USFWS is now considering additional opportunities to hunt Tundra Swans in the eastern states.

The Western Population (WP) Tundra Swan (TUSW) numbers have also increased since 2010.

Additional Information:

I have started four (4) threads on the LPWA web site:

1) Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario - 2010

2) Tundra Swan Harvest Presentation - 2011

3) CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment - 2013

4) A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario - 2014

Contact Information:

You may send a letter indicating your support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season directly to Mr. Jack Hughes, Manager of Population Conservation, Canadian Wildlife Service, Environment Canada, 335 River Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H3 by mail, e-mail (jack.hughes@ec.gc.ca) or fax (1-613-949-8307).

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks