Long Point Waterfowlers' Association AGM 2014

Hello Guys:
9) Donald ...
You have accused me of "telling lies" and I consider this a libelous attempt to discredit my reputation. Consequently I must request that you either provide documentation supporting your allegation or promptly retract this comment. I have been rather lenient with you and your previous derogatory comments towards me for reasons beyond the scope of this response. Please do not take advantage of this leniency.

Please try to keep this discussion civil as Stomp has requested,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Really? Over an open forum comment?

I also don't understand why you are posting this on an LPWA forum. I do understand your solicitation on the OOD water site, just not here. If they don't let hunters harvest doves in the unit (I agree with this), they will never let us harvest tundra swans here also (which too, I agree with).

mtaz B.A. (hons), M.S. Ed
(I won't post credentials again)

Last edited:
This forum is open to ALL waterfowlers from all around the Ontario (actually, the entire globe), I'd imagine that's why tundra swan decided to post it on here
I agree, the unit will not allow a swan hunt to occur within the park boundaries, but there is a lot of the bay left where people can hunt on their own
I may also add, although I am a member of the LPWA, Ducks unlimited and the OFAH, I choose to make my own informative decision based on actual population and future projections numbers
Almost every person that I have talked to completely disagrees with the dove hunt because they enjoy watching them at their bird feeder, but because the right people took the initiative, they got the approval, and it was based on the healthy populations around Ontario and knew the hunt wouldn't hardly impact the population numbers
No matter what decision is made on any hunting season or even just a proposal for one, there will always be individuals against it
With all of that aside, the population numbers are definitely there, and getting larger year after year

Hello Guys:

The following is my response to the comments that have been posted since my last response.

1) Booyah ... thank you.

2) DAL ... e-mail or phone (evenings) me prior to your next visit down to Long Point and we can get together to discuss this issue further. I will comment about an earlier start to the waterfowl season as well as to some Mourning Dove comments in a subsequent post.

3) Duck Tales ... a few points for clarification purposes:

a) The Long Point Waterfowlers' Association (LPWA) is a separate entidy from the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit (LPWMU) and cannot be "shut down" as you have stated. I believe that you were referring to the LPWMU being "shut down" over a public uproar and I would agree with you that this concern has been raised before (the next point addresses this potential issue).

b) The Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans specifically requires Public Consultation Meetings to take place prior to any new Tundra Swan season being implemented. It would therefore be the responsibility of the CWS to hold these meetings to address any concern that the public would have regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season being implemented in Ontario.

c) There could and probably would be Tundra Swan "no hunt" zones in Ontario as previously discussed in one of my threads within the OFAH Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum. Consequently the LPWMU could be a Tundra Swan "no hunt" zone if that is what the public and/or the members of the LPWA wanted.

d) I understand why the LPWA Board of Directors has decided not to support this Tundra Swan proposal since the LPWA is an OFAH affiliated club. However there is nothing preventing individuals (including yourself) from supporting this Tundra Swan proposal in principle since the final decision rests with the CWS and then that CWS decision would be subject to Public Consultation Meetings before any CWS decision could be implemented.

e) You are correct in that I will never "let up" with this Tundra Swan proposal but I respect your right to disagree with me and I thank you for expressing your concerns. I hope that I have been able to mitigate your concerns to some degree.

f) By the way ... Ducks Unlimited Canada was not "against" my Tundra Swan proposal. However Ducks Unlimited Canada was unable to support my Tundra Swan proposal because the addition of new hunting seasons was not within their mandate as per my personal communications with the president in 2011 and 2012.

4) DAL ... please refer to my comments to Duck Tales above.

5) MTAZ ... yes ... "really" ... especially since Donald had based his allegation upon apparently misleading, inaccurate, unsubstantiated and false "stories" that he had heard.

Although Hardcore has already adequately responded to your comments I would like to emphasize a few points:

a) I have previously stated in my response to Duck Tales that the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association (LPWA) is a separate entidy from the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit (LPWMU).

b) Athough the LPWA may be involved with the funding, maintenance and operation of the LPWMU the LPWA interests extend beyond the LPWMU boundaries.

c) The LPWMU is a very small part of the Long Point Area marsh complex which also includes the Turkey Point marsh.

d) I remember a time when you could only hunt ducks within the LPWMU even though there were open Canada Goose seasons in the area ... can someone confirm this for me?

e) I suspect that it will only be a matter of time before waterfowlers will be permitted to hunt Mourning Doves within the unit.

6) Hardcore ... thank you for your comments. As for "the right people took the initiative" regarding the Mourning Dove season I will comment on this in a subsequent post.

Thanks again to all of you for expressing your thoughts.

Jerome

Gents,

Internet libel is real and serious. I might be held responsible for comments posted here if they are deemed libelous. Because the LPWA pays for this message forum, they might be held responsible. If you posted something libelous, you might be held responsible. Please consider these things and the agreement you made when joining this forum before you start typing. If you may have stepped over a line and might owe @Tundra Swan an apology, please do so.

Regards,

Stomp

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks