Long Point Hunt

ship wrecked

Sat. In the bay near Bait Island sucked!!!:( xx( one duck one stink-in duck a wounded black at that it had a wound across it'S gut not nice looking.So where are all the birds?? Never seen it this slow. :( xx(

Hello Ship Wrecked,

The "divers" must be out in the lake as I see them coming in over the causeway whenever I am at my new house around sunset.

They are flying North East over the causeway south of Big Creek and towards Port Rowan.

I hope that will help you.

Jerome

After an entire week of calm ,sunny , beautifull weather why would you expect to have a good duck hunt ? It's going to take some crappy weather to get the birds moving. I stayed home and cut my grass ,maybe there is something to global warming!

quote:
Originally posted by pops

After an entire week of calm ,sunny , beautifull weather why would you expect to have a good duck hunt ? It's going to take some crappy weather to get the birds moving.

Sure, just crush all my hopes and dreams for Monday morning :( .... ;)

Goose hunting hasn't been much better. Need a 'wet' day to get them to spread out a bit. I had to resort to pass shooting. Still had fun mind you.

I floated black creek on friday and got a mallard drake only saw 8 ducks though (Bad shooting on my part)... Water level seems very low on the lake this year, the creek seemed about 1.5 feet lower than the bank mark.

we seen a ton of birds saturday till noon just woundn't finish due to being old birds but we still manage 7 bills, a mallard oldsquaw and a golden eye,

As BuddyBoy stated there are lots[ as in thousands] of divers using the Inner Bay and I hear all the geese and ducks from the eastside of the main feeder all the way round to #11 at night so I know they are out there.They must head out to the fields really early because I don't see them fly out except (strangely enough) on days the Unit doesn't shoot and I have those spots marked on a map for what it's worth.

Copies of the map can be purchased and all proceeds will be donated to the Corn Liqour Fund to help sustain thirsty duckhunters.

Sorry I dont tell some of my best friends where I hunt, The units out side blinds did good this weekend and on friday.

So when your at the lake you just hunt the unit?I use to hunt the unit till they stoped the hunt on Fri at 4. Always a re rent never been first thing

Lots of Ruddy Ducks in Big Rice on Thursday. Not too many flying around out there Friday but between openings in the fog the Ruddies flew pretty good, we got 4 ....we were not shooting our best but had many opportunities. Saw tons of divers on the inner bay Saturday ...not too much flying though.

No i wish i was in the unit on friday and saturday they did pretty well.
I have hunted the Bay most of the time this year

Hello Donald and Duckula,

I do not need to know specifically where you were hunting but was it within the inner bay or in the outer bay that you got the Oldsquaw (Long Tail Duck)? I use to get lots of Oldsquaws over at Presqu'ile in Lake Ontario and I would like to target them again here at Long Point. Do they come into the inner bay at all?

I got a Ruddy Duck at blind 6 but it did not taste very good ... alright ... it was horrible! How does one cook them?

Jerome

Hi Buddy Boy , they were not shooting the Inner Bay .I wouldn't want to say on this site about any good spots to shoot as next time you go there there will be at least 3 other groups of hunters in your spot. As an old passed on fishing chum once said when i asked him where he caught a pile of smallmouth bass he grabbed his lower lip and said right there.
You will not get very many long-tailed ducks here --I would say maybe less than 50 might get shot in the whole area. Used to be able to shoot a lot of Goldeneyes here but they seem scarce although Fred said one was shot on Friday .
Sunday was busy out there with at least 10 groups of hunters in Big Rice and Little Rice as well as guys at the head of the Bay but very few birds flying .

I typically see Oldsquaw on Lake Ontario and some along Port Maitland while fishing Tecumseh reef. Don't recall ever seeing in any in LP bay personally.

In the last 2 years we have been seeing more of them probly shot 8 in the last 2 years.
A buddy of mine shot a couple out of Blind 6 and another buddy got 4 in little rice last year so there around you just need to be in the right spot on the right day

Well Fri was a bust 1 mallard a couple bufflehead.Sat. was even better zero_Ok where are all the ducks we drove around all over the bay inner and outer didn't see much to get excited about.No rafts anywhere???The way it looks now the shoots in Dec. will be good??

There's a few 'dumb' ducks around but not many. Was out on Friday. Had some 'dumb' moments myself and could have shot at least 4-5 and a goose (long story). Shot 2 mallards that decoyed nicely but went home with 4 mallards. My dog found 2 cripples on the walk back. The sky busters are putting ducks in my freezer, so I guess I can't complain. :p

Delta reports that its going to freeze out west and reports from north of us are saying their ducks have left or are leaving. Sounds like the last push is on its way.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks