Leaky aluminum boat

twodogs

Guys
I know the ice season isn't officially over yet, but I'm starting to think about the open water, and wondered if there's anyone you recommend that fixes leaky aluminum boats in the area.:(:(

Hi all.
twodogs. What king of boat are you trying to fix. I realise you said aluminum but is it an open tinny wth no floor boards or a full blown Lund Pro V?
Cheers, Clark

Two dogs, if you have an open utilty style riveted boat it is actually quite simple to rerivet it, and if it is welding a seem up it can be done easily as well if you clean all the silicone and garbage out of the opposite side, give us some more details.

I have a 16'Starcraftts with a floor in it. I have replaced the floor once a few years ago.

mI can suggest two things

#1 there is a guy advertizes on Kijjij he's out side of brantford he offers re reviting I have seen his work nice job and leak tests before and after.

#2 I did this to my old 14fter buff the bottom of the boat so it's clean then buy a product called Gluvit (got mine at proctors) it's like a epoxy you put on . the only catch is you must paint it after as it is not uv protected. I was amased by how well this product worked.

The Gluvit is an awesome product for sealing seams and rivets. I also had a few loose Rivets that I couldn't get at easily so I used the closed end pop rivets from the outside. They are a great product as well. I have attached a link below and you can buy them from Fastenal or Brafasco. You should use the aluminum body rivet with the stainless mandrel since the aluminum mandrel does not always pull tight and the steel one will rust.

http://www.bayrivet.com/closed_end_pop_rivet.htm

Thank you for the advice. I have located the number of the people that do aluminum boat repairs, as well as searched the Gluvit and Rivet options. Both these products have great reviews. At least now I have a few options.
Thanks and Catch ya later.
Twodogs

I checked him out before I did my 14 ft with gluvit. His work looked nice my issue was he couldn't give me a ball park price.
it was bring it to me and I will float it and see what i find.
then I asked if he had a price per rivit and he said no
I wanted to get back out as fast as I could so went the other way

Thanks Skinny
I have bought the glu-vit as well, but thought I would get it looked at to see if there was any cracks etc. I know what your saying about the ball park figure as its a catch 22 on whether to just buy another used boat, or repair the one you have. It would be nice to have a dollar figure to work with.

Hey twodogs Paul in Lynden is a good guy and does good work for a fair price.He might seem a little different but once you get to know him he's a great guy.

Depending on your location you might give this guy a call.
Heard some good things about his work. Never had need for a boat repair but I have had him recondition a couple of props.

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-parts-trailers-accessories-Marine-Welding-Boat-Repairs-Riveting-Props-Skegs-W0QQAdIdZ286094840

I have contacted both the suggested repair people and it sounds like they can help me out.Thanks for the help guys.
Twodogs

quote:
Originally posted by roebag

Depending on your location you might give this guy a call.
Heard some good things about his work. Never had need for a boat repair but I have had him recondition a couple of props.

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-parts-trailers-accessories-Marine-Welding-Boat-Repairs-Riveting-Props-Skegs-W0QQAdIdZ286094840

My boat is there right now getting the transom repaired. He does nice work, but I think dropped my boat off near the end of April...

He works on boats outside, so if it rains, like it did almost the whole month of may he can't work on your boat...

I know... a boat getting wet sounds funny lol

THERE IS A PRODUCT AT CANADIAN TIRE CALLED SEAL ALL. A SEALENT IN A TUBE , I PUT THAT ON MY RIVETS THEN I SPRAYED THE INTERIOR RIVETS WITH BOXLINER SPAY ON FROM CANADIAN TIRE. ITS CHEAP AND WORKS WELL.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks