Lake Saint Clair

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I am hoping to launch into Lake St Clair in pursuit of musky. Never fished this water before, any suggestions? Where to launch, what to look for, how deep to troll, speed etc?

There is a free launch at Jeanettes Creek or can Launch at Lighthouse Cove. Trolling mouth of Thames is always good place to start

I've always had good success launching at Lighthouse Cove (free launch) and trolling between the Thames and Stoney point in 10-14 fow. You need shallow running lures that don't run below 8 ft. or you will hit bottom. Depending upon conditions I keep GPS speed between 2.8 & 4 mph. I put a large rubber core sinker about 3 ft. in front of the lure to help keep weeds off the lures and even then I still check the lures often. LSC is very weedy and especially after a blow can have lots of surface weeds to catch on your line. General rule of thumb to remember is stained water where you can't see your lure very deep go with bright colors like fluorescents, firetiger, lemonhead, white etc. Clear water: go with natural colors like Perch, walleye, 9 dollar bass, sucker, cisco, shad etc. Water color and light condition (sunny day vs cloudy day) will affect lure colour more than season will. Expect a whopper or two smallmouth, St. Clair has some brutes that are not the least bit shy about hitting even the biggest musky lures.

Just to note LSC musky opens 1st Sat. in June to Dec. 15 and good luck in Muskieville. :D

I've always had good success launching at Lighthouse Cove (free launch) and trolling between the Thames and Stoney point in 10-14 fow. You need shallow running lures that don't run below 8 ft. or you will hit bottom. Depending upon conditions I keep GPS speed between 2.8 & 4 mph. I put a large rubber core sinker about 3 ft. in front of the lure to help keep weeds off the lures and even then I still check the lures often. LSC is very weedy and especially after a blow can have lots of surface weeds to catch on your line. General rule of thumb to remember is stained water where you can't see your lure very deep go with bright colors like fluorescents, firetiger, lemonhead, white etc. Clear water: go with natural colors like Perch, walleye, 9 dollar bass, sucker, cisco, shad etc. Water color and light condition (sunny day vs cloudy day) will affect lure colour more than season will. Expect a whopper or two smallmouth, St. Clair has some brutes that are not the least bit shy about hitting even the biggest musky lures.

Just to note LSC musky opens 1st Sat. in June to Dec. 15 and good luck in Muskieville. :D
Thanks also. Will spend a week there in July for the first time.

@hawghunter please post a report, I'm hoping to make a couple trips there this year! I have been there twice, launched from lighthouse cove, drifted out casting. No fish, one follow up (two years ago) on a firetiger deep diving crank (I'm no musky pro by any means tho, I've only caught one in my life despite some trying). From what I understand, trolling is the ticket on LSC. Theres a couple musky episode at LSC of Fishful Thinking and the Musky Hunter with some good info

@hawghunter please post a report, I'm hoping to make a couple trips there this year! I have been there twice, launched from lighthouse cove, drifted out casting. No fish, one follow up (two years ago) on a firetiger deep diving crank (I'm no musky pro by any means tho, I've only caught one in my life despite some trying). From what I understand, trolling is the ticket on LSC. Theres a couple musky episode at LSC of Fishful Thinking and the Musky Hunter with some good info
Thanks for the information. I will definitely update you how the week went.

Lighthouse cove, is it the same marina as Cove Marina? Cost me $20.00 today

Definitely not, at lighthouse cove the launch is free. Cove Marina is before the launch at Lighthouse Cove. There's a pier there with a lighthouse.

Well, due to unforeseen circumstances , the fishing grounds are now the upper Niagara. Lake Saint Clair will have to wait. *sigh*

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks