Lake of the Woods Hunt trip

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Oh Hi boyz...Just got back from my huntin trip to nestor falls... thought I would share some of my not so much buck action and some pictures of christmas huntin ..lows of -12...
highs of below zero...lol
lake of the woods hunt 2017 001.JPG

I booked a very reasonable semi guided deer hunt.. huntin #7A Alunea Pennisula ML only with an Ojibway guide & outfitter, ya stayed in a 2 storey log house on a back bay on the sabaskong first nations reserve just north of town...ya it was very nice..

lake of the woods hunt 2017 032.JPG

ya the wood stove was very hungry for birch & pine...
lake of the woods hunt 2017 282.jpg

lots of deer...especially intown stayin a little safer from the timber wolves...lots of them too..
lake of the woods hunt 2017 017.JPG

heres a backroad shot out hunting grouse
lake of the woods hunt 2017 014.JPG

okay heres the low down on wheres the bucks?, well pre rut to me was none exsistant here in prime deer country...the pennisula mature bucks were nocturnal.. absoulutely..we got a few nice big boys on there feet and a few on camera like after dusk till 2 am...lol..2 michigan boyz were huntin the same area...they seen 13 deer in there first 2 days..no big boys freezing in there seperate blinds..so the one kills a small 8 pointer for the meat pole..nice small chocolate rack on it..but I was not impressed..and my first all day of high winds & cold snow.. I see 2 does at last light..and heard a good snap of one coming in but no buck..lol
my next 2nd day of decent weather conditions of light wind and -4 and no deer in the am.. I quickly decided the first legal brown is down..

lake of the woods hunt 2017 021.JPG

so that was it..3 pm 95 yds centre punched at the 7 oclock position takin out his left lung and inside full length.. and then he runs right to me within 20 yds and drops...lol...I almost shot him in the head instead of threadin the needle...yes a messy field dress..yuk

for a young buck he looked not to bad for size on the edge of the field...see the neck..and its my first halloween buck...lol..anyway he went to the butcher the next day...lots of meat, well over 70 lbs boneless...cut & wrap was $60 in Emo

so I burned my third day goin to the butcher and getting a load of alfalfa, hay & corn for the outfitter. yes deer food...

lake of the woods hunt 2017 035.JPG

yes with all the timber wolfs in the neighbourhood..and causing havoc in the area on the deer, I started huntin wolf on day 4...ya $14 for a wolf seal here at our dixie dairy bar and yes you can kill 2 if you buy 2...me one..

afternoon sit on a deer carcass at 50 yds where the wolves cross...oh ya I got my rifle 270 wsm..lol
lake of the woods hunt 2017 268.jpg

Day 5 wolf huntin wayout on rabbit island.. an hour boat ride..set up a pop up.. up high on a rock ledge on a little back bay.....a doe comes through browsing at noon hour...and to my suprise at 3 pm I spot a lone timber wolf moving quickly inside the bushline huntin that deer scent...ya a right to left..

lake of the woods hunt 2017 276.jpg

at 147 yds to the bushline bait there to my right in the image...straight out at 120 yds inside the bushline i got on um cross haired as he stopped for a pause got a quick shot and he bolted to thick brown and dissappeared...several seconds and he reappeared runnin down a skinny beach and then he turned and another quick shot at approx. 160 yds and he tore into bush..wow that was quick action..and I can really say I got excited, but with best effort...but ..ya after a bit I got down there and tracked um down the beach and then into the bush and no blood and no wolf..I did come close but didn't get him...bummer..

lake of the woods hunt 2017 279.jpg

He was average size male approximently 120 Lbs...there are bigger ones up there..some so fat from eatin deer...I was suprised of the big numbers...

ya a 21 hour drive to beautiful country & friendly people...its a huntin & fishin paradise up there...so much variety to chase...

Last edited:
Good job Mick, I hunted moose on Alunea peninsula 3 years in a row ,it is a beautiful place. We took house boat out of Sioux Narrows and tied up in Knickerbocker inlet, first 2 years where fantastic I would say best moose hunting in Onta

Stupid phone, anyways , third year the deer had moved in heavy and the moose all died off. Went from best to worst in one year but it is still a beautiful place

thanks you guys for that..ya gretz.. beauty country out there travelin by boat..lots of bald eagles and ducks galore.. despite some back bays were freezing up..ya it was freezin cold..and the only moose I seen was at the butcher...and very few mature bucks takin during the day...I seen one bear track..other lake activity goin on was duck hunters poundin divers off in the distance and die hard musky fishermen..some usin 5 lb suckers for bait and catchin um according to the bait shop ..

Heres a few atikokan moose on the right and WMU #10 bucks on the left..couple decent ones..ya when Kent the Emo butcher first started opening up the cooler door I yelled WOW THE SIZE OF THEM BUCKS (on the right) and he calmed me down sayin there moose..so funny..
lake of the woods hunt 2017 030.JPG

Heres a picture of the back bay where I went in and hunted deer to the left...had to break half inch ice to make channel for in out, my propane heater got a work out for blind time...too cold for michigan duo..they went home early...and there last day to many wolves..both spots, blinds were surrounded, but no visual.. i am not kidding...the older guy life time hunter was scared...and no wolf seals.. $250 export fee..they said forget it...
lake of the woods hunt 2017 269.jpg

Last edited:
congrats gretz on your moose huntin house boat adventures, sounds like a blast with a good bunch of guys .. and out tieing up on ..your kidding me right...knickerbocker inlet...whos the the english lad in your group that came up with that... loosing our ontario moose numbers where there drying up in more and more locations ...and quebec loosing there caribou sport huntin, officially done February 2018.. what A tragedy...the bright spot is ontario`s thriving black bear numbers... they are an excellent and challenging animal to hunt spotnstalk...and the meat is so so sweet...

Great trip and pics Mick..and beautiful country. We get so lazy with the deer hunting in our backyards in S Ontario we forget about hunting elsewhere and living the wilderness in Ontario..its why I head for Lk Nipigon each fall despite dwindling moose #s Do they have a muzzleload moose hunt there?

Thanks @fishquest & @DaveJ for the "great" quote...Sunset country was famous for hunting deer...there was extra tags too...a couple hard winters and wolves thinned um out...still good numbers but not like it was... moose & tags are scarce where i was...on the way atikokan area is still good and it looks it...12B has some rifle bull tags...
18B still has an early muzzleloader season during the rut...I am done with the ontario moose draw...
I am huntin remote ontario spring black bear for alot more action..and not over bait...on the ground spot n and stalk n and also sittin...good fishin too..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks