Kipawa "Blue" Walleye

You can also buy your licenses across the street from Pro Nature.

Last time I was on Kipawa there was NO BAIT anywhere in Temiscaming aside from Pro Nature, they had 24 near-dead worms left. CALL AHEAD.

The eyes will be deep around that time so I'd be ready for that. I hope you do well man!

Sounds like several options. Will definitely do the beer thing, already have a flat of worms going up and will book the leeches right now. I"ll be sure to post results when we come back Sept 8th.
again thanks,
Moo

If you're buying from Corina at Kipawa Bait it was a cash transaction, bring some cash, tried to pay ahead on CC, didn't happen. I called ahead a couple of days and she had 3lbs ready to go when I got there.

Okay as promised a report upon my return from Kipiwa. Sorry no pictures yet but might follow up with a couple. As everyone said, Kipiwa is a fantastic place to explore and fish. Beautiful scenery and a pickerel fishery that didn't disappoint. Most days we were able to catch our limits, couldn't get over the bluish tinge that would come from these fish, have never seen that before. Also fished quite extensively for lake trout. Did the rigger & lead core thing. Only landed 4 with none being of keeper size. Awaki Lodge is a very comfortable laid back camp. Our cottage was very clean and loved the deck. Everyone there including the owners were hospitable and helped us with any inquiries.
All in all I'd have to rate this trip at the top of the scale. Will definitely be returning another day.
Thanks to all that provided info
Moo

Fished at Alwaki back in '04 with my dad, brother and 5 yr old son. Nice spot back then. Leaving for north end of Kipawa to bowhunt moose on the 19th (9 days and counting!) We always get hunting licences and fishing licences from our outfitter, and they stock worms on site. We don't do too much fishing while hunting but manage a couple of afternoons during the hunt. We access the lake at Laniel, as the camp and all our hunting is by water access only. Quebec does a much better job of managing moose hunting and populations than Ontario does. This is our 9th season there, gave up getting moose tags in Ontario when we needed to have a group the size of a small army to get an adult archery tag. Water access hunt is much nicer hunt without people buzzing through your camp at all hours on ATVs etc. Have not come on another group or hunter in the bush in 8 seasons, but we certainly do an awful lot more walking.

This is our 9th season there, gave up getting moose tags in Ontario when we needed to have a group the size of a small army to get an adult archery tag. Water access hunt is much nicer hunt without people buzzing through your camp at all hours on ATVs etc. Have not come on another group or hunter in the bush in 8 seasons, but we certainly do an awful lot more walking.

Hear you on the Ontario moose mismanagement. I quit hunting moose when they put archery tags into the same pool as gun hunting. When I started bowhunting moose back in 1985 everyone got an archery bull tag and only had a draw if you wanted a cow tag. Like you say you need a small army to draw one now. Also agree the water hunting is much better than ATV etc. We always water hunted by freighter canoe on rivers and small lakes 15-20 miles in from any roadway access throughout northwest Ontario. The hunting was great back then with a strong moose population but poor government management has changed all that.

I sure miss all the fall excitement and wish you good luck bowhunting moose on Kipawa. (y)

Yup, my first moose hunt was 1984 and we had 2 of the 5 adult archery tags issued in 21A. The two of us in our mid twenties, I had my bow for exactly 1 year the day we left and my buddy had his for 6 months. Set out with a nylon pup tent, Coleman stove, canoe, 2 wheel drive 83 Ford Ranger, and we put a young bull on the ground on our last day of the hunt. So many things we didn't know, but full of piss and vinegar and out for adventure. Good times.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks