kids and limits

bosc

I can't find how this works.

If I fish with a sport fishing license do the kids I take each get a limit of 6 walleye?

About if I fish with a buddy who has a conservation license and I have a sports license, we have 3 kids in the boat, what is our walleye limit for that trip?

@jammer is correct (asuuming the kids are Ontario residents that is). If you want to look it up it is under "Deemed Licenses" on the bottom left and top right of page 4 of the current regs:

A person is deemed to be the holder of a Recreational Fishing Licence
if they are:
1. Residents of Ontario and Canada under 18 years old, or 65 years of
age or older and in possession of any licence, permit, certificate or
identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a
provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates their
name and date of birth.

Those who qualify to fish with a deemed licence must follow the same
catch and possession limits as a Sport Fishing Licence.

I can't find how this works.

If I fish with a sport fishing license do the kids I take each get a limit of 6 walleye?

About if I fish with a buddy who has a conservation license and I have a sports license, we have 3 kids in the boat, what is our walleye limit for that trip?

OMG are you a math teacher(n):):)

you 6, buddy 2, kid 1 6, kid 2 6, kid 3 6............26, a great days fishing! lmao.

Thanks for the reply guys. Just wanted to make sure. I didn't read far enough in the regs.

LOL, Sure did, we use a counter on the boat when putting the fish in the cooler..........but we still recount them 2-3 times by hand to make sure. Easy to miscount the smalls this year.

I have a counter too. Had dozens of throwbacks and 6 perch in the livewell, then the kids got bored & wanted to go to the beach. So I drop off Mrs EV and the kids off, head back out, catch my 7th only to see my counter was now at 258 :eek:

Seems my son is a bit of a smart :mooning:. I wonder where he gets it from?

Not sure why but I was under the impression that they had basically conservation license so in the past I've released a lot of fish ! I'm cool with that because I'm the one that has the fillet them laugh out loud Lol

Lots of fish!!!
Yep, can only remember a few years when the numbers of walleye caught required a counter. MNR told me next year should be the same with the fish a little heavier, we will see. What I do know is I went out first Sat in June for my annual pilgrimage to catch one walleye if we were lucky, we caught 5 walleye and a rainbow and it has been non stop since. Did not even have my fish cooler on board that day. I say remember 2017 at Port Burwell.........has been a Stellar year to fish!

Kids can have full limits I know this cause my dad use to be a conservation officer

Could you ask your dad a question for me?

I had an interesting encounter with neighbors on ice last winter about kids and lines/limits.

The regs state that a person under the age of 18 is deemed to have a license. It specifies that you must be living in Ontario, among other things. It doesn't specify whether you should be able to hold the rod. Or reel in fish. Or have hands, eyes or a brain for that matter.

Now, to the question at hand.

Let's say you have a young kid who can hold the rod but not quite reel a fish in. Can that kid have his/her own lines and limit?

My niece was ice fishing with us and we put in 2 holes for her. The neighbor comes over and says I have too many lines. I tell him we have 8 lines, 4 people, including the niece. He laughs, says "ok" and walks off. 45 minutes later the MNR pays us a visit. It was obvious that he called them in. By that time we had pulled up the lines and had no fish with us. MNR officer checked all paperwork etc, had no objections but wasn't sure what to do about the alleged extra 2 lines. Said it would be a "matter of discretion" and left.

I can see both sides of the argument here but I have to lean toward the kid having 2 lines, almost regardless of age. I don't see how it's a matter of discretion, seeing how the rules are written plainly. She's under 18, she gets a limit, at the very least. We're introducing a kid to the wonderful world of fishing at a young age, why make it more painful to be a good parent?

/rant over

Technically yes, the child needs to land thier own fish. Just as anyone on a boat needs to each keep only their limit. For example, you can't go out with three guys, have one person catch 18 walleye and keep them all. Party fishing is not allowed! I see it all the time steelheading on the tribs unfortunately.

The grey area is assissting a child in fighting/reeling in the fish. I know of one story last year where an angler was hassled for his child not being fully able to handle the fight on their own and Dad was helping out. However, I believe if the intentions are good any reasonable CO will be understanding.

Josh

Last edited:
They are allowed a full sport lic limit but they have to be physically able to catch those fish. So I guess you could technically (in your case) have 2 lines/holes set for your niece but she has to be able to catch the fish towards her limit. No other way around it with the no party fishing rules in Ontario.

Could you ask your dad a question for me?

I had an interesting encounter with neighbors on ice last winter about kids and lines/limits.

The regs state that a person under the age of 18 is deemed to have a license. It specifies that you must be living in Ontario, among other things. It doesn't specify whether you should be able to hold the rod. Or reel in fish. Or have hands, eyes or a brain for that matter.

Now, to the question at hand.

Let's say you have a young kid who can hold the rod but not quite reel a fish in. Can that kid have his/her own lines and limit?

My niece was ice fishing with us and we put in 2 holes for her. The neighbor comes over and says I have too many lines. I tell him we have 8 lines, 4 people, including the niece. He laughs, says "ok" and walks off. 45 minutes later the MNR pays us a visit. It was obvious that he called them in. By that time we had pulled up the lines and had no fish with us. MNR officer checked all paperwork etc, had no objections but wasn't sure what to do about the alleged extra 2 lines. Said it would be a "matter of discretion" and left.

I can see both sides of the argument here but I have to lean toward the kid having 2 lines, almost regardless of age. I don't see how it's a matter of discretion, seeing how the rules are written plainly. She's under 18, she gets a limit, at the very least. We're introducing a kid to the wonderful world of fishing at a young age, why make it more painful to be a good parent?

/rant over
Wow! Sounds like you have a great neighbor!

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks