Kayaking the inner bay

RyboFlav

Hey Guys,

I live in St Thomas, but I'm looking to make it out to the bay for some bass and pike once bass season opens. Does anyone know where a launch is close to some productive area? Also, how sheltered is the bay? I don't want to make the trip and have it be too rough out there in a bit of wind.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hey Guys,

I live in St Thomas, but I'm looking to make it out to the bay for some bass and pike once bass season opens. Does anyone know where a launch is close to some productive area? Also, how sheltered is the bay? I don't want to make the trip and have it be too rough out there in a bit of wind.

Thanks,
Ryan

Lots of historical threads to read that will answer your questions, but I'll answer below anyway.

I come from London so pretty similar route.

You can launch pretty much anywhere to get out into the bay. The provincial park (just keep following the road into long point to the end) or launch at old cut (follow livery sign at road). Or any of the other numerous spots.

Check Windfinder for wind conditions, it's excellent for giving you an idea. Depends what boat you're using, for a smaller boat like mine (17ft bass tracker) I wont even consider going out in anything over 10 knot gusts (20kph). Yeah she can take it, but it's just no fun and with the water this cold its dangerous. The bay is protected a bit, but its lake erie, as it's been said here 100's of times, when in doubt turn around and go home!

Thanks for the tips Rex! I have been out on Erie in a 14' tinny, and our rule of thumb was 10 knot gusts as well, but at times that even got a little hairy! In a kayak I would definitely be even careful than that, but I didn't know how different the bay is than open water.

I'll do a forum search and see what I can dig up

There is a good kayak launch in Pt Rowan by the park close to the pier. The Bay in Pt Rowan is fairly protected but a west wind there isn't good. I fish quite a bit from Normandale and Pt Ryerse which have much more open water and a SW wind over 10 knots will start the whitecaps. TC

Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Ryan
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Ryan
@RyboFlav,I usually launch out of Port Rowan(free), or out of Long Point Provincial Park Boat Ramp,by using my

Ontario Parks Pass,and I will fish along the reeds.Of course the best time to fish the Bay out of a kayak is when there is no wind,but a light south-Southwest wind is also good for that side of the Bay.Last year's photo with me holding a 3.5 lb. Largemouth Bass,(released). IMG_7501.JPG IMG_7503.JPG Tight Lines,& Fish ON!!

Thanks for the tips guys. Port Rowan is likely where I will launch out of since it is closest to me. At the free launch, is there enough parking to bring a trailer?

I found a crudely drawn map of the inner bay on google that shows pike and largies along the reeds, and smallies out in the middle of the inner bay. Is it reasonable to paddle out to smallie territory (provided the weather is good of course)?

The middle of the bay is closed for the bass sanctuary until the 4th saturday in June. And I wouldn't recommend kayaking on that day!

Yeah, I won't be heading out until the long weekend, which I'm sure will have its own brand of craziness... Maybe sticking near shore is the way to go.

Thanks for the tips guys. Port Rowan is likely where I will launch out of since it is closest to me. At the free launch, is there enough parking to bring a trailer?

I found a crudely drawn map of the inner bay on google that shows pike and largies along the reeds, and smallies out in the middle of the inner bay. Is it reasonable to paddle out to smallie territory (provided the weather is good of course)?
I never had any problems about parking there even if I had a trailer,but during the Bass & Summer Holiday Season,I would try to get there early just to be on the Safe side.Paddling out to Smallie territory could be dangerous due to the fact that a Kayak is such a low profile craft,that you could be run over,(heaven forbid),because of the high and fast Boat Traffic.Stick to the reeds,the Smallies aren't there,but the Pike and the Largemouth Bass are.Tight Lines,& Be Safe!! (y)

I have put my kayak in on old cut. There used to be a boat launch there years ago by the bird obsevatory, there is now a fire hydrant and one of those comunity mailboxes there, plenty of parking as well across the st. Make sure you put on some deet and i usually just carry my paddle first to knock the weeds for ticks.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks