Off Topic If you own a princecraft read this

willisride

Ok folks. This is going to be a longer post, but I would feel horrible if something happened and you guys didn’t have the info. The “back story” we bought a brand new princecraft 177 sport in April 2017. We had some upgrades added from the factory and the dealer. This included a 24 V 70lbs thrust trolling motor. Again, these were purchased WITH the boat at the time of sale. On this particular model there is wiring that is concealed from the double battery bank up to the pronged plug mount for the trolling motor. Ok, fast forward to August 2018..... another full week away fishing lake st Clair. Day one, trolling motor is dead. After trouble shooting. The motor is fine. To avoid interruptions in the fishing week, I re wired the unit externally to get me through. Got the run around from princecraft and the dealer regarding any warranty and it wasn’t worth my time pushing the issue (long story) so I had a technician deal with the problem end of season. Now for the scary part...... princecraft wired these boats, and their previous 16 and 17s and some other models ALL WITH UNDER Gauged wiring! And to boot the wrong fuses!! My concealed wire melted, and could have started a fire. It was also inhibiting trolling motor performance because it couldn’t draw the proper ampriage from the batteries! The set up that came with the boat was clearly for a 12V or smaller set up. If anyone else has these models and upgraded either from the factory, or on their own I strongly suggest you get the wiring and fuses checked. After investigation this was apparently a KNOWN issue at prince craft that has been remedied for 2018 model year but they fu*ked me off re warranty none the less...... still love my boat, but damn that’s some negligent craftsmanship right there. Stay safe all!!

I feel your Pain.
Had dealings with Prince JUNK, Man can they hide their shoddy workmanship with carpet.
Had my Platinum back to the factory twice to get re-riveted then took it to another guy later to have about 80 rivets replaced with bigger ones.
Their bottom shape can't handle big water, guy from Prince JUNK told me my problem with the rivets was because of big water wave action.
Operate very slowly on big water. I own an older lund now, rides so much quieter and solid, but I've saw some bad workmanship on the newer Lunds.
These companies now I think have poor quality control, throw it together and get it out of here.
The money theses boat companies charge are crazy, plus you should have the option what you want in your investment like a big livewell or a big waste rod locker down the middle of the boat. How many do you want 2 down each side and one that takes up most middle of the boat.
Now they put these tiny livewells you may get a couple Panfish in.
I think we're just Guinea Pigs to theses companies, hurry up shut the door and stiff the next poor guy.
If I had to do it all over again, it be a Harbercraft or a Stanley type boat.

I have a Princecraft 172 sport
Sorry to hear you had bad experiences with yours Fishfarmer
Im happy with mine rides great and it can take the big lakes and waves
Now as for the wiring you are correct Willisride my came the same way
I did not buy the dealers trolling motor or sonar unit rather put my own on
It did come with 2 batteries for the trolling motor and one for the main motor
What I find was :
Batteries were to small in power and reserve power for my trolling motor
The wiring was way to small of gauge for the power required for the trolling motor
The inline fuse were not ideal

So I replaced / upgrade batteries , wiring , and installed a marine inline breaker rather than a replaceable fuse " its less problematic and easy to reset "

As for the main motor battery the dealer put in a automobile grade battery not marine grade
I left somehow the bilge switch on and it killed the battery could not be recharged
Unlike the one I put in even if its completely dad can be recharged
When I told the dealer did not have much to say

Over all I'm happy with the dealer I got my boat from, beside a few minor things they are easy to deal with , very friendly, and I never felt that they sticking it to me

Last thing I 100 % agree with you Fishfarmer that manufacturers dont listen / care about what the costumer wants its more about bigger profit per unit and you will buy it becouse thats all is out there this also includes attitudes of a lot of retailers / dealers

Will only ever own a Lund.
@Matt245 I own a Lund as well,(my second one now),but unfortunately this 2007 1800 Pro-V Lund has some issues than my previous lund,(1997 Pro-V 1775). I will get more into detail,once I hear back from my Lund dealer about my warranty on this Lund.Workmanship is definitely not like it used to be.Wishing that I kept my previous 1997 Lund!!

@Matt245 I own a Lund as well,(my second one now),but unfortunately this 2007 1800 Pro-V Lund has some issues than my previous lund,(1997 Pro-V 1775). I will get more into detail,once I hear back from my Lund dealer about my warranty on this Lund.Workmanship is definitely not like it used to be.Wishing that I kept my previous 1997 Lund!!

We used to have a 2004 Lund Explorer 1600 with a Yamaha 90. Not a single problem and ran in mint condition. Now we have a 2018 Impact 1775 and we love it.

@Red Hering.. Sometimes the OLD girls are better than a new one !!!!! I'm not about to trade mine off had her for 51 years (OHHHHHH that's the boss). Will be waiting your up date on warranty. Is your fishing over for the season ?
51 years (that’s the boss) LOL @Red Fisher!! No,luckily my fishing season isn’t over,and the boat can still be used,and I am still planning on fishing for pike,etc.,on long point bay,till it freezes over!! lol I did get the O.K. from the marine mechanic,and a lund salesmen and the service department where I bought my lund from,but I still wouldn’t mind something in writing from the lund company that all is covered in my warranty,if it does need repair work,if the issue on my boat does get worse. It has been 2 weeks now,and I am still waiting for a answer from the lund company.For now,I am enjoying my lund,& Tight Lines & Fish ON!! ?????

Attachments

• BDD48973-D541-444A-9978-90841DFE523F.jpeg
    BDD48973-D541-444A-9978-90841DFE523F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • 3C5F7DD1-8BAB-41AD-B708-B6B1BE119692.jpeg
    3C5F7DD1-8BAB-41AD-B708-B6B1BE119692.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
  • 61133DE3-24D7-4D04-994D-CB629CB456E9.jpeg
    61133DE3-24D7-4D04-994D-CB629CB456E9.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 44
Lund is probably the best built boat but I have had zero problems with my princecraft. Been a amazing boat, rigged with a Honda 4 stroke its incredibly reliable. I agree they dont build them like they used to. Parts are super expensive for the princecrafts as well. $400 for a new lexan windshield.

Had good service out of all 3 of my Lunds . Really like my Hewescraft , good thick hull for when I hit the dock and lots of grab handles for when I go out in stupid weather or when I drive like an idjut. Welded windshield frame will break you before you break it. More like an old school pickup, scratches are patina not damage. Built like a brick shit house and looks to match.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks