Ice Drama from Last Week

Yikes, lots of 100% perfect people out there, at least hiding behind a keyboard.

I hope I NEVER, EVER have to ask any of you for a favor or help.

A possible scenario. Mr CH312 is sitting in his basement, typing away at his computer, on say a website like this, when he hears a screech outside and a crash. Some drunk driver just smashed smashed into a tree right in front of CH312's home on a snowy night. CH312 goes out, sees the drunken dude bleeding profusely, but makes a decision that a) he is drunk and knows better than to drive (he made a mistake), and that b) his bleeding is probably not life threating and that within a few hours his blood platelets may clot the gash and the drunken dude will probably survive. 50/50.

What does he do?

A) Call 911 to get the guy some help, risking life for ambulance driver to come out on a snowy night.
B) Go back into his house cause the drunken dude needs to be taught a lesson. Oh, checks the tree to make sure it is OK.

hmmmmmmmm, what to do. The question is really hard, may need to think on that one.

FACK!!!!!

Good call "Caseys Dreams"....it seems like CH312 and Bass-Master-Gordon have alot of harsh comments for these people...they act pretty tough from their computers...mistakes happen...no need to wish death on people because of it...I dont see how anyone is losing out because these people got lost....if anything we all learn once again that safety and being prepared should always come first out on the ice.

I just read the article itself. It is a good thing that the people called were Darren Propper, Rex Easton and Jimmy Granger. You guys are the heros of 2011 and should get some kind of award. But men like this, the award is just doing the right thing, and feeling good about it. You guys are the kind of men that we all need to aspire to.

To the others on this board, who it seems if they had received the call from the OPP for help, and said...."N'ah, let them spend the night in the blizzard, it'll teach them a lesson"....Fack you!

Darwin Award? Is that funny? Sickening. Morons! Now we know who you are!

Yes, yes, regardless, bashing people on here should not be tolerated. Everyone has different opinions, and if you are going to personally attack a member on here why not keep it to yourself?

A couple of the last posters sure make themselves sound like great individuals...

And people who drink and drive are idiots. I wouldnt consider helping one ever. People make mistakes, but drinking and driving is no mistake....risking innocent lives...
Enough said.

halloween09.jpg

HOLY winternet I don't see anyone "acting tough " hiding behind a keyboard jwalsh your comment makes no sence 2-3 guys have difering opinions than yourself so you acuse them of being internet tough guys? Caseys dream your comments are uncalled for and using a drunk driver as a example is dumb and anyone that gets behind the wheel of a car drunk is risking many good peoples lives, just like the people that got caught on the ice in a storm the guys that saved them all have family and freinds that would miss them dearly if they went through the ice and died. that is why people get upset when admitedly unexperienced people do things like this the storm wasn't a suprise they talked about it 2 days in advance. lets not drive stomp nuts this winter and keep the personal attacks to our selves.
this site rarely needs moderation lets keep it that way

It is a good thing the OPP called the guys they did who selflessly sprang into action to save these people who should have never been out there in the first place cudos to the guys who lead the rescue effort they are definately heros.

Shawnsavitar_psd-1-1.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods and The Rod Glove for their support

Wow. And I thought I was getting miserable because of fishing withdrawl.

Stick

DSC00152.jpg

wow...somehow this got twisted into me wishing death upon someone? if you're healthy enough to be out ice fishing, you're plenty healthy enough to survive a single night alone on the ice. with 4 people it'd be a walk in the park and probably a good time once everyone relaxed.

suggesting that i wish death upon any of these people is ridiculous and uncalled for. the internet tough guy comments actually made me "LOL". you're totally wrong, but thanks for the laugh :D

btw...i'd be one of the first people to help anyone that actually needs help. for these people that were lost on the ice, it would just be an inconvenience for them to spend the night on the ice. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Caseys Dream

Yikes, lots of 100% perfect people out there, at least hiding behind a keyboard.

I hope I NEVER, EVER have to ask any of you for a favor or help.

A possible scenario. Mr CH312 is sitting in his basement, typing away at his computer, on say a website like this, when he hears a screech outside and a crash. Some drunk driver just smashed smashed into a tree right in front of CH312's home on a snowy night. CH312 goes out, sees the drunken dude bleeding profusely, but makes a decision that a) he is drunk and knows better than to drive (he made a mistake), and that b) his bleeding is probably not life threating and that within a few hours his blood platelets may clot the gash and the drunken dude will probably survive. 50/50.

What does he do?

A) Call 911 to get the guy some help, risking life for ambulance driver to come out on a snowy night.
B) Go back into his house cause the drunken dude needs to be taught a lesson. Oh, checks the tree to make sure it is OK.

hmmmmmmmm, what to do. The question is really hard, may need to think on that one.

FACK!!!!!

dude, thats a totally different thing in sooooo many ways.

fishing,for some a hobby, for most an addiction

also, id help anyone on the ice if necessary, im just speaking out against people who make the news, and all this publicity over ice fishing----i mean what was said before, 4 people did not read the instructions when they got their gps or even thought of searching it up, nor did any one of them know how to operate it, all said though, none of us witnessed the climax of this situation, so no one has any ground except the people who were there,unless they are secretly on this board maybe???, none the less were arguing over here say. hopefully one day people will get it, hopefully the norfolk county signs help.

Hi all.
My long winded reply was not intended to pit Forum Member against Forum Member. It was an honest accounting of that day from my perspective and then a comment about those that would arm chair quarter back a game they haven`t seen.

If you read my posting it was quite long compared to the article Stomp provided. I could have written ten pages on the three hours my event took and still could not have provided all the facts or thought going through my head. The article Stomp provided was short and could not possibly provide all the facts of that event.
Not a shot at you Stomp.

What surprised and saddened me was that people were reading into that little article all kinds of mischief and no goodnik.

I pointed out my mistakes so people might learn from them and I will continue to do so with no embarassment. I did make another mistake that I had forgotten about. I had just bought another portable Ice Hut and forgot to take the Compass out of the other one. Now that I have said that I must also point out that using a Compass or GPS is quite easy when someone is showing you on a beautifull sunny day on the Bay or in your back yard. It`s quite different when your life may rely on it. Anxiety is a killer and may be more dangerous then the event that is occurring.

The Compass would have helped get to shore but it would not have been much good to find my hut as it is not a locator.

GPS is good but not perfect. In the cold batteries don`t work so good. Every GPS on the market is not the same, as the Manufacturers have not come to convention due to proprietary technology. GPS is not simple and I find that the instructions not so simple either. Understanding GPS, it`s history, how it works and why, is not common knowlege. GPS is the same as our home computers. Garbage in and Garbage out.

ch312 and BASS-master-Gordon. I was not taking a shot at either of you and I am not doing so now. I only ask that you consider a couple of things.

Please consider that not everyone has your knowlege or common sense.

Please consider that not everyone that fishes the bay is a Member of this Forum or any other on this topic and therefore are not privy to the knowlege that is available here.

Please consider that people make mistakes. It is the our nature.

Please consider that what we do after the mistake is made is paramount and sharing our mistakes is beneficial to everyone.

Please consider that you sharing your methods of avoiding mistakes or errors is just as good.

Please understand that my purpose for writing this and my previous reply is and was not intended to diminish your point of view.

I will finish with this.

As I get older the smarter my Father gets.

Cheers, Clark

ok. first of all, a gps does not take rocket scientist to figure out, its a tough screen gadget, and im surprised not one of these poor people did not even play around with it before,its tough, humans like to touch things, you put in an adress or put my locale and BOOM! a bloody 5 year old could do it, one day, one day, these rescuers are going to be put in danger by an easily avoidable situation, and that is if A-its storming outside,like it's going to today or tonight,dont go out if you know it will be trouble, people get this fishing urge and do all sorts of crazy ****, i have not seen it all but in my short time ice fishing, ice some alot, fish are not worth putting lives in danger- i dont know how you can defend these people-btw caseys dream-do you like to pick and start something? you do? well i do to-its just a big game to me.let em roll pal.:)

and in this day and age we should not be getting lost, if you dont have the proper knowledge WTF again WTF were you doing in the middle of the bay in a snowstorm-without any knowledge, i know what went down, one dude herded the rest of em' told them itd be ok bcuz they have a gps then they panicked and got confused and acted and thought later-i take back my comment of we dont know, we do know, its stupidity, year after yaer this happens, read up before you go, ask questions , though you all may think im a know it all, if i can tap a local goldmine of info from say jimmy carol, ill listen and listen good, you have to be prepared before you go out people there is more to it than catching fish, wayyyy more. thats all im saying, knowledge is key. if you dont want to end up in a morgue-or floating underneath the ice until thaw out-be aware of you surroundings and cope with them.

OK wishing someone a death of hypothermia is just wrong people make mistakes and i hope that those of you get help that think otherwise
I have never met a perfect person in my life

Hey SRT8 why don’t you mind your business...I wasn't talking to you...my post makes perfect sense...maybe you should read all the other posts and think a little before you write something. I am entitled to my own opinion and so are the other people...don’t be a hypocrite...you talk about keeping personal attacks to ourselves and then you personally attack us in your own post....

WOW! Is it ever interesting to read through all of the comments...especially from my perspective, a wife of one of the men whom had NO problem offereing services to some who needed it...who knows when it might be you?!
My husband really appreciates all the koodo's etc. it's not needed, but sure is nice to know that people are/would be thankful if it was there boots he was out looking for. :D

I am proud of ALL the people who had a giving enough character/resources/knowledge to help out....everyone one of those boys would go out no matter who was out or what reason. Let's just be thankful that we are lucky enought to have so many locals willing to lend a helping hand and not how unfortunate it is that they are needed.

Easton

quote:
Originally posted by Jwalsh

Hey SRT8 why don’t you mind your business...I wasn't talking to you...my post makes perfect sense...maybe you should read all the other posts and think a little before you write something. I am entitled to my own opinion and so are the other people...don’t be a hypocrite...you talk about keeping personal attacks to ourselves and then you personally attack us in your own post....

I never attacked anyone I just was trying to diffuse a already touchy subject if my post came across as a attack I apologize for that but the being entitled to your own opinion goes both ways and you jumped on the guys that didn't agree with yours . I see Stomp's board as my business and I hate seeing threads like this on here it looks bad on all of us.

Shawnsavitar_psd-1-1.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods and The Rod Glove for their support

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks