Ice at Long Point - 2017

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I have started an "Ice at Long Point" thread for several years except for last year as i was criticized for doing so. However most of you appreciated it and the updates that others provided as well.

On Saturday night there was only some thin ice along the shore but on Sunday morning the ice had extended out to cover most of Zone B, the bay with Blinds 36, 38, 39, 40 and the marinas were cut off as well ... so Blinds 35 and 37 were probably iced up too.

I noticed that the Port Rowan harbour was iced up this morning with a cut boat trail through it ... nothing serious. Big Creek was wide open.

Fell free to add to this thread if you like.

Jerome

Good luck to those still heading out. I pulled the plug on my season (which was a great one). Gave the dog her season end bath and now cleaning up the mess of gear and making up the last 3 months to the wife. Lol!

Haven't been down in a week. How much of bay is frozen? Still some divers around? Hoping to get out this weekend since its supposed to warm up a bit.

Jerome, always appreciate the info... Any updates? I am assuming even big creek is now frozen over. Thanks in advance.

I came down to my cottage at Point yesterday in hopes of putting something together today. I was dissapointed to see the amount of ice yesterday. Then last night the wind dropped and switched to NW. Temperature dropped to -12. I just did a drive around the bay and there will be no ducks shot here today. The bay is covered with rough uneven ice as far out as I can see. Big Creek is frozen tight and no sign of anyon even attempting to launch anywhere on Point or in Port Rowan. Forecast is for evn colder temperatures the next two nights. I am afraid my last duck of 2017 has already been shot.

Hello Guys,

I can confirm what "singlemalt" has already reported this morning.

I went to the unit office on Monday afternoon to check out the duck tally and had a nice talk with Randel and some of the guys coming in from their hunt.

Unfortunately most of the bay had frozen over by late Monday afternoon when I got home on the causeway so I phoned in my observations to Randel at the unit office ... Big Creek was still open out to the inner bay with a very small part of Zone B open.

I could see that there was a still a small "wedge shaped" area of open water from Booths Harbour to Turkey Point on Tuesday afternoon with birds working that area. I even heard some distant shots last night near sundown.

However I noticed a total "freeze up" of the entire inner bay including Big Creek on the way to the gym this morning.

I am hoping for another crack with the self serve option.

All the best guys for the holidays.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

What happened with this "waterfowl" forum?

I posted comments on a few threads (including this one) on December 20 and I saw them but they are all gone now.

Can anyone explain this?

Jerome

Hello Guys,

This morning I saw that Big Creek was open and that a large part of the inner bay was open ... maybe a third of the inner bay.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

This morning I saw that Big Creek was still open and that a larger part of the inner bay was now open ... the eastern portion only.

Lots of Sandhill Cranes around ... let the OFAH know if you would like a season on these birds as they are interested in this idea. I posted a letter from them at the unit office earlier this fall.

No support ... no season.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

What happened with this "waterfowl" forum?

I posted comments on a few threads (including this one) on December 20 and I saw them but they are all gone now.

Can anyone explain this?

Jerome

Hey @Tundra Swan, I can explain. I was upgrading the forum software to a new version and the upgrade went south. My back-up plan also failed, so I had to go back to a good back-up taken on December 19th. All forum posts and replies made between the 19th and 22nd were affected. Apologies.

Hello Stomp,

I figured that out when I saw a notice "pop up" on my screen on Chrisrmas Day when I logged onto the "waterfowl" forum.

Thanks for the note.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Believe it or not Big Creek was open on December 27 but that did not last very long.

I had a tank of water delivered in the afternoon and he told me that he has seen several individual "ice huts" being towed down to Long Point over the last few days.

Well ... I think that says a lot ... I guess that we are done down here.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Further to my post on "Divers are Back" regarding ice conditions last week here is an update for the Inner Bay as of today.

There was a large opening up on Saturday afternoon with most of the Inner Bay opened by Sunday afternoon.

This morning even the ice that was left in Zone B had melted overnight and the Port Rowan harbour was nearly fully open.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks