How many here use a Fish Hawk X4 or X4D on Lake Erie?

Joe1984

On the fence on buying the X4D for the boat and wonder if it worth getting for fishing Erie.
The main thing I think would be useful will be seeing my troll speed at the lure.

On the fence on buying the X4D for the boat and wonder if it worth getting for fishing Erie.
The main thing I think would be useful will be seeing my troll speed at the lure.
I got it this year its great on Lake Ontario
Use it every time out
Only used it once on Erie and it showed temps same from top to bottom in up to 65 feet of water speed was not much diferent down 30 to 40 feet
I think there is not as much current where I was fishing out of Port Bruce
So I had not put it down since dont need it there , but if I to fish different aria I will use it just to see what's up

It’s good stuff. Great for finding that ideal temperature for your target fish. Also knowing Ball speed with all the current in the Great Lakes is a bonus

Cheers

Herefishyfishy

I use the X4. Best piece of electronics I’ve installed on the boat. Especially fishing the lighthouse with the currents that change from day to day.

Have an x4D and use it all the time trolling out of Port Bruce. Some days not much difference in GPS speed vs speed at the ball and other days have seen half mph difference depending on direction of travel. Always try to keep speed at ball between 2.7 - 3 mph.
Have found better hookups at 3 mph and not so many lost fish with short strikes.

Just curious, as I think these are a useful tool. Is it a straight Bluetooth connection or is a cable required to the transducer/sensor (guessing cable). If it is cable, is it sent down to a cannon ball?

Looking at the display in the pic above. It shows. Current depth, current speed and surface water temp? at the surface.

The bottom two items would then be temp and speed at the sensor.... line/cannonball (what ever it attaches to)

Never seen one in use.

Any insight would be appreciated. Gotta love new gadgets.

Thx,

Just curious, as I think these are a useful tool. Is it a straight Bluetooth connection or is a cable required to the transducer/sensor (guessing cable). If it is cable, is it sent down to a cannon ball?

Looking at the display in the pic above. It shows. Current depth, current speed and surface water temp? at the surface.

The bottom two items would then be temp and speed at the sensor.... line/cannonball (what ever it attaches to)

Never seen one in use.

Any insight would be appreciated. Gotta love new gadgets.

Thx,

Top number (33ft) is how deep the cannon ball is, 71.8 is surface temp, and 4.2mph is boat speed. 59.3 is temp at cannon ball and 2.1mph is speed at the cannon ball. I have one of these units and use it all the time. Out in erie I usually notice surface temp is pretty much same as whatever my cannon ball temp is.

The picture is a poor example of practice. I don't troll that slowly. :cautious:

Last year as others have said, temperatures were quite similar throughout depths later in the season, this year however I'm still finding cold currents 30 ft down differing as much 14 degrees, as late as last Sunday.

Using the example of the picture, if you were trolling 2.7, your lures would be almost motionless in the current.

The highest difference I can remember was just over 3 mph (with surface / Simrad), which would make a big difference whatever direction you were moving into/through/or in that current.

I realize the fishery is amazing, but I can honestly say, the boat's catch rate jumped immediately after the installation of the X4D.

My neighbour who fishes with me and others, admitted scepticism at first, but is a firm believer now.

I wouldn't go without one on any future boat I purchased.

Ive seen similar outputs from my Moor Subtroll, also heading with the current. Especially as you get out at the lighthouse. Typically we troll 2.2-2.5 with plugs and spoons, running riggers, dipseys, lead core off planers. Appears that some of you troll much faster than me.

I have just purchased a x4 and am wondering if the unit will work without the transducer installed on the boat? I have speed and temp on my fish finder at the surface and if I did not have to pull the boat to install the fish hawk transducer would be a bonus.

I have just purchased a x4 and am wondering if the unit will work without the transducer installed on the boat? I have speed and temp on my fish finder at the surface and if I did not have to pull the boat to install the fish hawk transducer would be a bonus.
you need the transducer for the x4 to work

Herefishyfishy

@FisherPrice , the X4D is wireless / blue tooth. Water activated on - off.

This is the way mine is connected. (downrigger cable attached to the top eye) breakaway cable to cannonball.

breakaway.gif

Here is the probe and the boat transducer required to work. My Simrad transducer is on the other side of the boat.

probetducer.gif
The rubber band keeps the boat paddle wheel from spinning going down the highway, and yes I have to get replacement SS bolts etc.

I wasn't sure if the unit would work with out the boat transducer but kinda sounds like I should pull the boat out of the water for a day and hook it up complete

Thx for the response HvyHaul. The details clearly point out why we catch more going a certain direction on a given day.

This unit would really take the guess work out...

Thx for the response HvyHaul. The details clearly point out why we catch more going a certain direction on a given day.

This unit would really take the guess work out...
I don't know anything about this unit but is this just giving you SOG {speed over ground} or is the info different?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks