Great Tip-Specialty Shells

singlemalt

A friend gave me a box of Winchester AA Steel Trap loads #7's. These are the greatest thing I have found for cripples on the water. They are cheap, low recoil and with the tight dense patterns of #7 shot pellets in the head are almost assured. They seem to be effective out way further than I expected as well. I have started carrying them in one of my pockets and if a bird is looking too lively a quick shot before I send the dog and I have not lost a bird yet this season.

No more blasting away with expensive heavy loads at tough swimmers.

Wow that's good news !Didn't know any ammo makers made such a shell. We always used #7 1/2's to knock off cripples back when we shot lead. I'll check around the GTA as to where to buy some.Thanks for the tip Cam !

Cam

I tried 7.5 steel trap loads early on for cripples and found they really were poor. Would litterly pluck the duck on the water but not kill them. I then tried a 1.25oz 2.75" load of #6's and found them magic from the layout or tender. Maybe the 7's are just heavy enough to do the job. Thanks for the tip.

OPCLP, I see Le Baron has Winchester Steel #7 in what they call an Xpert Game and target load for $6.63 a box.

You may be right Gar, I have not been out much this year with these new backup shells and so have only used them on 4 or 5 swimmers. They worked perfect on each of these but I am sure a pollster would say it is not a big enough sample to be statistically significant. Your experience is probably based on more birds. It could be as well you are having to "reach out" a bit farther in open water than I have had to in the marsh.
Cam

I use to bring cheaper swatter loads, but found by the time I get them out and load them, either the dog would have the bird or the bird was long gone. I don't big water hunt but I would think in that case, you'd want to get that bird whacked pretty quick.

I bought a pattern master choke tube a short and long range one they shorten the length of the shot string from 16 feet to 4 feet since I have used these there is no cripples at all It is like the duck hit a brick wall and down they go dead

Lebaron only supply # 7 steel shots? What about #6, 5, 4's? Six dollars something for 25 rounds? That sounds cheap and economical, too!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks