Fishing guide for inner bay?...

stansav

Hello Everyone;

I am new on this forum and never been in LPB area, mostly on small lakes around Kitchener-Waterloo. I was told for boat I have (Sea Nymph R14 Yamaha 15HP) is much safer to fish on Inner Bay…

I usually fish with my son (16yo) and we are looking for someone to guide us through Inner Bay – do some fishing and show good fishing spots for bass, pike and perch, good boat launch, best lures and baits etc.

I think few hours would be enough (morning or afternoon, workdays or weekend – doesn’t matter).

If someone would be interested, please let me know – you can PM with your availability, rates etc.

If someone would like just give us some instructions that would be fine as well.

Thank you in advance,

StanSav

Last edited:
save your money for a guide if you are learning from your own boat. This is a tough time of year for the bay. Buy some minnows and launch at Old Cut and explore, Take a hand held GPS and buy a local map.

Enjoy the bay and good luck

BD

Thank you BigDave;
That's what we might to do if no one will be interested...
Where is better to have a boat launch from - Pt Rowan or Old Cut? Or some other places?
"Local map" - do you mean LPB map? Where can I buy it?

StanSav

StanSav,
Advantages to both. However, I would suggest going further up Long Point to the Old Cut.....closer to the fishing, saves time to drive up and back to exploring the Bay. I agree with Big Dave...a map will save you big dollars, and no matter where you are on the bay, you will always see both shores. Biggest guide feature to help you keep perspective of where you are is EC 10 (big marker in middle of the bay). Water depth is pretty good, compared to last fall or even this spring. Sandy bottom makes it a relatively safe place to explore with few worries. My only suggestions would be to power up in the Old Cut channel where it indicates, and get up on plane as soon as you can, and when coming up, stay high on plane until you enter the mouth of the channel and come off plane IN the mouth of the channel, but before the boathouses, so as not to cause a wake. These are the small tips that helped me when I got into the boating scene about 10 years ago. Other than that, just have to get out and explore! :) Welcome to Long Point....best fresh water fishing grounds in Ontario!
Ken

Ken, thank you for advise.
You are referring to map as well - is it something I can buy at Old Cut Marina?
Any suggestions for using lures, baits etc?
StanSav

Hey Stan,

Not sure where to get a map as I use my gps fish finder.
There are a Cpl good places to launch on the innr bay. Booths and Akers, Old cut is farther drive for you down long point but closer to some good spots to fish and getting back in if wind picks up.

Out of Old cut you'll be closer to millionaire's and not far from EC 10, two good spots.
Millionaire's is good for smaller pike and small mouth bass.
EC 10 is close to deeper water from the channel as well has a shoal, good for perch and small mouth bass.

Lures / bait : minnows, shallow cranks and body baits ( blue, white, red, perch black n silver are good colours ), gulp alive 3 inch leach for drop shotting too.

I suggest trolling millionaire's with shallow fat raps ( white , red, perch ) or rapala / bomber minnow lures, or still fish with minnows and drop shot the gulp leachs.
Its close to old cut and get you fishing fast, give you options on exploring farther too once you've got a taste for LPB bass.

Good luck and be safe!

Cheers
D

Thank you TwinFisher! Very helpful!
What are good weather forecast sites for LPB? Just concerned a little bit since even inner bay is much larger than lakes we were fishing before...

Thank you Bassaholic!
Talking about inner bay fishing - could someone tell me as well what would be a safe wind/weather conditions for 14' aluminum boat?

stansav, Welcome to Stomp`s.If you are looking for a LPB "Local Map",call rroutdoors at: 519-586-7990 (formely called: Rotten Ronnies Bait & Tackle).They should have a Chart of Long Point Bay to sell.Good Luck Fishing on the Bay,and please leave us some Fish.;) LOL Please post back on your Day on the Bay.:)

Stansav, I fish the inner and outer bay for largemouth and pike exclusively all thru the season. I have a boathouse in old cut and fish the bay 2-3 times a week. PM me and I'll be glad to take you out and show you a few things to help you get on some fish.

Thank you RedHering and Spilliar1!
A lot of good tips and friendly suggestions... just will have to put everything together before I go:)

Very good website and forum, I really enjoy reading it!

My only suggestions would be to power up in the Old Cut channel where it indicates, and get up on plane as soon as you can, and when coming up, stay high on plane until you enter the mouth of the channel and come off plane IN the mouth of the channel, but before the boathouses

Would that suggestion apply to all boats or I should be fine with mine (aluminum 14' with 15HP)? I guess it's for heavier bigger boats, right?

Yes mainly for bigger boats, but it doesn't hurt to follow that advice from CF. It's about 2-3 fow but there's weeds choking that whole area

We (me and my son) just want to say "Thank you!" to Spilliard1 for taking us for fishing yesterday (Saturday).
Little bit chilly, windy and rough, but still excellent day! One pike and few basses - our result for afternoon tour around inner bay.
Before we tried couple times by ourselves, but not much luck... Spilliard1 gave us some tips and tricks so I hope we will be more successful next time!
Again - THANK YOU!
P9140002-small.JPG
P9140003small.JPG

What a difference a few years make. The younger fella in the first pic is shirtsleeves only. The second pic is another youngster, maybe a bit older (Dad?), with full out cold weather gear on. Both had smiles ear to ear.

Yeah... The difference actually is 4 hours time frame between these two pictures! At the end of our trip my son was wearing hoodie and jacket;)
And nice fella with cold weather gear on is Spilliard1... I am (Dad) a bit older:(

Hi
I am from the KW area and fish the bay and local lakes.

A few more tips....
1. Get a good wind app on your phone. Safe bets are west, north and south winds. East don’t go out!
There are many ramps there and depending on wind launch there. North wind launch anywhere on north shore. West or south launch from long point. I wouldn’t go out in a smaller boat in more than 15-20kilometer winds, too rough and not much fun.
The fish move around so.
Normandale is east of turkey point, there is a rock shoal out there and a tire reef. Both hold bass and perch. Best launch would be Macdonald marina in Turkey point.

Baits- I like gulp peaches and gulp monies on dropshot. Drifting with worms bouncing bottom. Xraps in stick and deeper crank styles. Black spinnerbaits, and you need to have a few live target weekend frogs to work shores, can be quite exciting

Bluff bar is way out there, past pottahawk and is good for just about everything, pike, bass and occasional musky. Don’t go that far if it’s windy, it’s bigger water and the waves can get nasty. But it worth it if you get there.

Inner bay.
The cottages- red cottages due south of boat island... both sides and in front produce bass and pike. 8’ deep.

Ec10. Large round marker in bay. Perch bass and pike. If you head south from it about a mile or so you will come across a very large weed bed that runs a mile or so in length and is good for all species.

Shoreline is good if you can find deep enough water. 3-4’ is plenty. Lots of small pike and largemouth bass

Being from KW area be sure to get out to port burwell. Walleye fishin is crazy and you dont need down riggers. Some Riplin redfins and dipsey divers or leadcore line. Again watch wind there. North is perfect as it’s off shore. Go straight out and set up in40’ or so. Trust me you know by the pack where to go.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks